Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
JohnnyV

ACA Conference 2008 Review

Hi All, Well got back on tuesday evening and I must admit I had a BLAST!!!!!!. I enjoyed everyone who I talked to and also enjoyed the conference as well. I believe I know who is goinfg to make my next leg, provided they can be adaptable for other foot. I also hope eeveryone who took the swim class got one of the rubber ducks. The conference was great!!!!. Even the captain onassis was a hit. I'll be posting some photos soon... Take care Jerry

After some persuassion with the editor and COO at the ACA, I was very fortunate to get some first time ever on the Internet pictures that were taken at this years Conference theme party that I am happy to be able to present, courtesy of the Amputee Coalition of America. Some new Rap group that were given an opportunity to break into Stardum. These guys were like amazing Dope (Dope; cool, phat, hot or whatever you call it.. ) Especially the lead rapper that was having a tough time remembering his Lyrics. The backup dancers were the S..T ( When combined with "the," used to describe something that is the best, greatest.). I heard that they may be asked to come back for a return engagement next year. :lol:

post-53-1214537950_thumb.jpg

post-53-1214538078_thumb.jpg

I heard that they may be asked to come back for a return engagement next year. :lol:

That really ought to be an incentive to entice folks to attend!!!!! :lol:

In the second pic, take a look at the expression on the dj's face. :huh:

That DJ was one of the worst I've ever had the displeasure of hearing. My ACA insider said that he probably won't be asked for a repeat performance next year. The dinner/dance is always so much fun. Other than the first few songs played, he mostly played hip/hop crap. He was told to mix it up a little, but he didn't. He didn't even notice that the dance floor steadily emptied. Shoot the whole ballroom steadily emptied.

As to Johnny and the whatchamacallits, they were great. Encore! Encore!

I thought their name was "The Missing Parts" ! :P Oh well, they were pretty good!.. Now, as for the DJ, your right Neal... The guy had so much bass to things that you couldn't even understand him....Kimmy was sure in an uproar, that's a fact! If she had got hold of him, without a room full of witnesses, he would of had some missing parts, I believe...

It was a good time though............

For all those who didn't make the ACA Conference last week or have never been to one...see a couple of "BLOG" comments below...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Greg Bauer's Blog

Atlanta - Amputee Coalition of America Meeting 2008

I have been fortunate to attend my first ACA meeting and must say that I was very impressed with the event. I have attended many National meetings before and have never felt the electricity before that I felt here the past couple of days. From the attendees to the exhibitors and most importantly the ACA, I must congratulate and applaud for the excitement that each and every one portrayed throughout the weekend. You all have to understand what each and everyone of you do to help individuals with their specific issues. I was very glad to be a part of it and look forward to attending each year in the future.

Print | posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 5:26 PM

Comments on this post

# re: Atlanta - Amputee Coalition of America Meeting 2008

I attended the ACA conference as well and was really blown away. As an amputee & amputee advocate, I feel totally re-charged and even more excited than before to be involved in this field. As an amputee, I felt this amazing connection with all the others there with limb loss, no matter our ages, genders, or amputation circumstances. I was able to see new technology face-to-face and learn about new resources that I can pass on to the rest of the amputee community. The ACA staff and exhibitors obviously really cared about what they did. This was my first time at the conference and there is no doubt that I will go back every year. This conference is a gift! What a blast!

Greg Bauer's Blog - http://gregbauerblog.360oandp.com/Default.aspx

Pfeeeew!!! Sorry all...I've been in hyper-speed since returning from the ACA conference and haven't had time to respond till now...

My thanks to all who made it so comfortable for me to not feel so alone while traveling solo: Tammie (Higgy) and John, SusanI, Beth Marie, Karen (Krazy1200), Cheri, Kerry (Kep), Neal, Barb, Jerry (fivestringcooper), JohnnyV. You guys are the best.

For those who have never been to an ACA conference a little information...The conference was quite interesting. Meeting other amputees and seeing their conquests and hearing their stories was inspirational. There's something to be said when you are around hundreds of other amputees. The four limbers (as I like to call them), were in the minority.

There were several interesting seminars presented. There were courses in gait analysis. Robert Gailey held an all day event, where amputees worked with other amputee runners like Sarah Reinertsen

and PT's to learn how to run and participate in other sports events...There was a swim and tennis clinic...There was information on legal issues...travel... health and phantom pain among other things. There were day long sessions for Support Group Leaders and one for Peer Visitor Training.

Representatives from several prosthetic companies were there to demonstrate and talk about their products. Many prosthetist were on hand as well.

The hotel was really wonderful...the food was great...and I met so many wonderful and inspiring people. There were some rather famous amputees...Sarah Reinertsen and George Velazquez...(He can dance better on one leg than most on two). There was some partying goin' on...And I think a good time was had by all!

All ages and all types of amputee's were represented. There were two men that that had prostetics on all four limbs...They walked better than many single leg amputees...I met one little girl who had a lucky leg. Her mom told me that's what her daughter called her amputated limb and prosthetic after seeing Finding Nemo...(You may remember that Nemo had a smaller fin on one side..he called that his lucky fin)...All I can say is the human spirit is amazing...and so were the people I met!!!

Hi All,

This is my first post so forgive me if formatting is wrong, etc.....

My 4 y.o. daughter and I attended the ACA conference in Atlanta last month. I just want to send a huge thanks to everyone that helped make it such a wonderful weekend for both of us. As I'm sure you know, she rarely see's anyone else with a 'new leg' as she calls them, except for a rare time in a magazine or on TV and she just felt so at home at the conference and we felt so embraced by everyone there, when I think in some other settings, the adults would have felt the kids were invading. I so enjoyed speaking to the few folks I had time to (she keeps me busy :rolleyes: ) but I know all of the families certainly benefitted from the weekend and we hope most of the adults felt the kids were a positive experience.

K

Hi K,

Welcome to this great group!

I am pretty sure I met you and your darling daughter--was she often in a stroller? One of my most memorable moments at ACA happened when Paddy showed your daughter that she had a "new leg" too and was wearing heels. I wish you could have seen your daughter's eyes just light up and she had a big smile too.

So, welcome and I look forward to seeing you again next year.

Peace, Beth Marie

Nope, no stroller for my daughter (only for looooooong distances like Disney). Nothing slows her down. She couldn't grasp why some of the adults did not have on a prosthesis as for her it is just not an option. Luckily, the adults seemed to understand when she interrogated them as to why they were using crutches or a chair instead of a 'new leg'.

She was the beautiful one :rolleyes: Seriously though, will be a little difficult to describe as there were actually three adorable 4 y.o. all adopted from China, AK. We've met previously online on adoption support groups. My daughter had the 'butterfly leg', and at one point she had Paddy coloring outside of the mobility clinic on Saturday. We were there all day on Friday and Saturday and stayed at the hotel as we do not live in Atlanta. Oh, and if you noticed the big poster behind the Childrens Healthcare booth, that was my daughter playing with the ball in the pink outfit and on their flyers.

I'm really glad they did the track this year for the kids. It was great having them there. I know for me, the conference helps me feel more "normal" (whatever that is, lol) I was thinking how wonderful it would be for the kids to be in such a supportive environment. Plus they had Emma to pet! :lol:

For all those who didn't make the ACA Conference last week or have never been to one...see a couple of "BLOG" comments below...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Greg Bauer's Blog

Atlanta - Amputee Coalition of America Meeting 2008

I have been fortunate to attend my first ACA meeting and must say that I was very impressed with the event. I have attended many National meetings before and have never felt the electricity before that I felt here the past couple of days. From the attendees to the exhibitors and most importantly the ACA, I must congratulate and applaud for the excitement that each and every one portrayed throughout the weekend. You all have to understand what each and everyone of you do to help individuals with their specific issues. I was very glad to be a part of it and look forward to attending each year in the future.

Print | posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 5:26 PM

Comments on this post

# re: Atlanta - Amputee Coalition of America Meeting 2008

I attended the ACA conference as well and was really blown away. As an amputee & amputee advocate, I feel totally re-charged and even more excited than before to be involved in this field. As an amputee, I felt this amazing connection with all the others there with limb loss, no matter our ages, genders, or amputation circumstances. I was able to see new technology face-to-face and learn about new resources that I can pass on to the rest of the amputee community. The ACA staff and exhibitors obviously really cared about what they did. This was my first time at the conference and there is no doubt that I will go back every year. This conference is a gift! What a blast!

Greg Bauer's Blog - http://gregbauerblog.360oandp.com/Default.aspx

Hey, justwanted to let you all know that Greag Bauer and Jason at West Coast are my prosthetist's. Words can not express how awesome they are.

take care! Mike