Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Scarlet0Hara

changing Heel Height

I've had my prosthetic leg almost 1 year now, and have been wearing traners and Timberland boots ever since. I would love to be able to wear boots with higher heels etc, but as I only have one leg, would have to travel to my Prosthetist to get the heel height changed.... which is not possible. Can you get certain ankles that you can adjust yourself?? Sorry, this is maybe a really daft question!

There are a few on the market.

http://www.ossur.com/prosthetics/feet/elation - The Elation from Ossur.

http://www.college-park.com/cpstore/Produc...tInfoAccent.asp - The Accent from College Park

These both have a heel height range of about 2 1/2 inches or so, adjustable by the patient.

If you have a pair of shoes that you really want to wear all the time, then you can get feet that are specifically built at different heel heights, for this use. If it was a large heel you wouldn't be able to walk on the leg without the shoes, safely. Your best option will be one of the above two however and your prosthetist will know best, well at least they should. You can usually get these on the NHS, just be nice to your prosthetist :D

And it is a sensible question, all woman seem to care about this a lot, and I seem to know way too much about it :D

If you really like your current foot this is a better way to go than changing to a foot that might not work as well as the one you have now --- http://www.endolite.com/newproducts/Brio/brio.html ---- This is a great product, I go to the lake alot and end up running around barefoot quite often and I find the Brio a great solution since I use high end feet I don't have to switch to a sub par foot just because I want to change heal heights.

the elation foot from Ossur s brilliant good feel and easy to use

Hi there,

I am new to this forum, and have been recently checking it out. I am a BTK symes amputee and have been for 30 some odd years now. I recently (5 yrs ago) went from an exo-skeleton leg to an indo-skeleton leg with an ossur elation foot. Coming from a woman's perspective - I LOVE IT - I push the limit on the heel height thing and can make it go to 2 1/2 inches, but that is the absolute limit. I usually go for slingbacks or T-straps as they are easier to get on and keep on the foot. It is so nice not to have to change your leg just to accomodate a different shoe. Very freeing experience for me.

Hi Diane welcome to the forum.YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY more of us symes amps :D :D :D :P

I had mine done 40 years ago this coming September.

Freedom Innovations Debuts RUNWAYT at AOPA, Oct. 23

CORONA, Calif. (October 22, 2003) - NEW ADJUSTABLE HEEL HEIGHT, LIGHTWEIGHT PROSTHETIC FOOT ALLOWS AMPUTEES TO WEAR VARIETY OF SHOES

Freedom Innovations, a manufacturer of advanced-technology, lower-limb prosthetics, introduces the new Runway. This unique prosthesis is a high-performance foot that features an adjustable heel height allowing below-the-knee amputees to wear a variety of shoes including sandals, high heels, cowboy boots or even walking bare feet. The Runway foot will be previewed at the National Assembly for the American Orthotics & Prosthetics Association (AOPA), which opens today in Reno, Nevada. The Runway foot will be available for beta trial evaluation in December.

According to Richard N. Myers, President and Chief Operating Officer at Freedom Innovations, the Runway foot achieves the ideal combination of a lightweight foot strong enough to wear every day for various activity levels, as well as providing an adjustable heel to adjust for different shoes.

"Advanced technology prosthetics, like those from Freedom, are making great strides in performance-oriented devices, but the challenge has always been to have high-performance feet that really looks great," Myers said. "Our newest revolution combines high performance feet with heel height adjustability and excellent aesthetics."

Using Freedom's patent-pending technology, Runway's simple, push-button adjustment elevates the heel so the amputee can wear shoes with high heels. The Runway features a unique cosmesis that includes a sandal toe, and ankle that offers six levels of stiffness and adjustments for weights up to 255 pounds.

"This foot shows we listen closely to prosthetists and patients," said Myers. "We heard the need for a high-quality foot for active amputees who don't want to be restricted in their shoe selection."

"Shopping for shoes has always been frustrating," lamented Sabrina Coleman, 23, of La Habra, Calif., one of the first to wear a Runway foot.

"I love to go to the mall and shop, but buying shoes was depressing. I would see all kinds of shoes to match my outfits but all I could buy were flat heels," she said. Now wearing the Runway foot, she says, "I can wear virtually any shoe style with heels up to two inches and not worry about losing my balance or my agility."

Coleman added that buying two separate feet -- one for flats and another for high heels --isn't a viable option since most insurance companies will not pay for feet used for cosmetic reasons. Also, switching between two prostheses was inconvenient and cumbersome.

According to Myers, the Runway includes a special ankle device that keeps the toe and heel of the foot balanced as the heel height is adjusted just like a natural ankle, which is a sliding joint and cannot be replaced by a simple hinge. "By using an arched slide carefully designed to maximize foot performance regardless of ankle position, we can achieve balance and comfort," he said.

"When it comes to prostheses, women have been left out until now," said David Littig, a Ventura-Calif.-based prosthetist. "What women want is a foot that addresses their cosmetic and fashion needs, while providing maximum comfort and mobility."

Another foot to check out is the Runway foot from Freedom Innovations.

http://www.freedom-innovations.com/product_details11.html

Sara

Does this foot change by set screw or by push button like the Ossur Elation foot?

'Higgy' I am trying the new runway foot. Old one was still under warranty so it was exchanged & it had the push button. This one has a small opening in the back of the heel {that can't be seen} which uses a tool to change the height of the heel. Maybe Karen or Cheri will give you a better answer since I am new to it. ;) ann