Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
learem

hello from newbie

hello to everyone. several days before my amputation surgery, i have found this fantastic place and decide to register, although i'm very upset about surgery i'll have next week. my story beguin two years ago, in may 2006 when i have nasty fall from my motorbike and broke my right leg on several places. s spend two months in hospital and suregons saved my leg, but not it's function. i'm in pain since accident and can't use my leg more than 10%, which mean that i'm on crutches all the time sice accident. i got an inffection too and my suregon suggested amputation, right below the knee as only solution. i knew that my leg was badly injured but i didn't expect amputaton, even in nightmares. suregons suggestion was terrible shock for me, because i still belive that modern medicine could fix everything, including my leg. unfortunalty, this is not true. i got second and even third opinion but nobody could give me what i want to hear. after 20 days of thinking and reading everything about procedure, rehabilitation and prosthetic i saw that it's not that bad as i expect, because i never meet amputee in my life and now i'll be one of them. my surgery is in friday 27 of june and yes, i'm very scared. :blush:

Hi, welcome to the forum im new here myself and not on alot but will try to answer any questions you have, if i cant im sure someone else can. Yes amputation is very scary but if you look on the good side you should beable to throw away your crutches and lead an almost normal life, i know its not the same. the way i saw it is if you can carry on with more use of you leg and less pain its got to be worth it. Your not the only one theres a few of us bikers on here. i hope all goes well.

Welcome to our world Learem. You'll find that your life should improve after the initial recovery phase. I was 47 when I lost my leg 4 years ago. My job depended on me standing and walking most of the day. I, like you, could save the foot, but not the function. I chose amputation as a means to get on with my life. It is scary, but after only a month of being disabled, I was ready to move on. They amped on April 5, I went back to work on May 11, started walking with my first prosthesis on May 20 and I haven't looked back.

I won't say that the first year wasn't full of new and different pain, but I was better off and I had the promise of better things to come. I get along great with my pros now. I've met some of the most wonderful people in the world. I just attended the annual ACA conference in Atlanta where 900 mostly amps attended this year. It is an awesome experience. I haven't looked at the rest of the forum yet, but I'm sure there will be updates and pics arriving soon.

I wish I could be there for you, but you are a little far away. Know that we will be thinking of you as you go through this. Please report back as soon as you can about how your surgery went. We will try to help you through the questions I know you will have.

Good luck!!!

Neal

Hi and welcome! This is a good resource, with lots of helpful folks who are glad to answer questions and help you sort out the adjustments to this "new life."

Like you, I was initially shocked that modern medicine could not repair my broken foot. However, after having been in severe pain on a non-functioning foot for over a year, it didn't take very long for me to decide to amputate when my doctors raised that option. I'll admit that it's more of a challenge than having two natural legs... but it's MUCH better than trying to live with my broken foot. With a little time and effort, you will do just fine!

Hi there and welcome,

Sorry to hear you are facing this upcoming surgery on Friday, but just know that life will go on and perhaps your quality of life will even improve. A lot of it will depend on your attitude, which sounds great. You will have ups and downs, just like the rest of us. Ask lots of questions and seek out supportive people (here and in real life too), and I think you'll do just fine.

I salvaged my leg for 14 years, trying to avoid amputation, as I had a hard time accepting the idea. I was sad after my amputation and went through a grieving process, which is normal. Just be kind to yourself with your emotions right afterwards, but then look to your inner strength to get you through the rough days and you will prevail.

I know a lot of BK's (just returned from the same conference Neal mentioned) and all the ones I know get along great!

Best wishes and will be thinking of you on Friday. Please check back in with us when you are feeling up to it!

Welcome to the family. We'll all be thinking of you on Friday and sending you prayers and good wishes. Remember that we're here whenever you need.

Caroln

Welcome to the family. We'll all be thinking of you on Friday and sending you prayers and good wishes. Remember that we're here whenever you need.

Caroln

I will be thinking of you on Friday. I myself had double amputations below the knee just over a year ago. Went through about 7 months of intense pain, hyperbaric chamber treatments and lots of medications before they amputated. I know it's a shock, but hopefully your pain will be over and you can begin to recover. My thoughts will be with you. Take care..

good luck with the surgery.

I too like may here, are motorcyclists who are now missing bits.

For me it was amputate or die - too much infection, ( I was wearing full top quality kit but still got shredded).

BE POSITIVE you are alive an there is a lot of living to do.

You are below the knee (better than above) other bits are still working (body and brain)!

With luck you should be able to do everything you did before

to encourage: I was working from PC a few weeks after getting out of intensive care, 2 weeks after getting my leg I was driving, next day after driving climbed a ladder, 3 months after leg, class 1 flying medical, commercial licence and instructor's rating back, 6 months after leg working day back to normal ( climbing all over boats as a surveyor), flew an open bi-plane (tigermoth) for the first time yesterday.

Tried getting back to skiing but limited success. Will learn a new technique and will be in the mountains again next year.

If you want to rtide again, you can. Be positive ( not always easy)

Freinds and family have been wonderful and has also shown who is periferral.

Mind set has changed as to what matters

You will be fine,

Gday,,,,,,,,,and good luck :D

Hi,

Welcome to this great place with great people. I was in a wheelchair and on crutches for nearly three years after my car accident before amputation. I actually asked my doctor to do it even though he thought maybe one more surgery would help--I had four already and what he was proposing wasn't much different. Although I would never want to be an amputee, it was the best decision I could have made. I am very active and am back doing most of what I did before and even more. I too just came back from the ACA conference and I learned to run there--I wasn't able to run even before my accident--I am still on a high.

I too wish I could be there for you, but know I am over the many miles.

Peace, Beth Marie

Once the infection was thoroughly in the bones, I heard the surgeons tell me what they could try, how many surgeries and how long it would take, the best case results and the poor probability for success I went straight to amputation and haven't looked back at that decision since. For me, it was the only decision that made any sense and I'm just so happy to be moving forward living a near normal life instead of where I was. While there are times I reflect on the changes this has put onto my life, I still know it would have been worse trying to continue with the salvage attempt. I wish you the best in finding the same relief and optimism I got from my amputation.

hello,

i'm home. leg is amputated in friday 27th of june and i comeout from hospital today on my own request. they want me to stay 3 -4 days more but i can't stand hospital anymore. i have huge plaster cast around my leg and i'm on painkillers but it's much better than i could expect before. i feel very week and sleppy but i hope that it will be better soon. learem

hello to everyone. several days before my amputation surgery, i have found this fantastic place and decide to register, although i'm very upset about surgery i'll have next week. my story beguin two years ago, in may 2006 when i have nasty fall from my motorbike and broke my right leg on several places. s spend two months in hospital and suregons saved my leg, but not it's function. i'm in pain since accident and can't use my leg more than 10%, which mean that i'm on crutches all the time sice accident. i got an inffection too and my suregon suggested amputation, right below the knee as only solution. i knew that my leg was badly injured but i didn't expect amputaton, even in nightmares. suregons suggestion was terrible shock for me, because i still belive that modern medicine could fix everything, including my leg. unfortunalty, this is not true. i got second and even third opinion but nobody could give me what i want to hear. after 20 days of thinking and reading everything about procedure, rehabilitation and prosthetic i saw that it's not that bad as i expect, because i never meet amputee in my life and now i'll be one of them. my surgery is in friday 27 of june and yes, i'm very scared. :blush:

Hi there Learem,

I read you post and really empathised with the way you're feeling. I had a serious fall (4 stories) in 2006 which severely damaged my left foot and left wrist. In the scheme of things I was lucky. Like you the surgeons worked hard to save my leg, I spent months away from home (my accident was abroad) away from my family but with so much damage to my foot I knew I could never walk again without an aircast boot and crutches. Despite this, I somehow thought everything would be ok and just like you, an amputation when it was suggested to me, seemed like a nightmare choice. I was horrified that they couldn't rebuild me. It just didn't make sense that the best thing to do was amputate.

It's never going to be an easy decision and I took time to come to terms with the idea. What I thought about was what I could achieve if I stayed as I was and what I could achieve if I took the big step and had the amputation. I was lucky enough to be put in contact with another LBK and I saw how active, happy and healthy she was. I heard about her going to work, going out, doing sport, all kinds of things that, at 31, I thought I'd have to give up. I also looked at the forum, read about many others who were living positive and (mostly) pain-free lives and I felt that I could do nothing but benefit.

I had my surgery in February 2008 and already I am walking, enjoying life more and building a relationship with my new leg. I am starting to do things I used to do, going out, going on holidays, lots of things. Of course there are times when things are hard. I would be lying if I said I don't feel frustrated at times or that it has been a breeze. What I can assure you is that if you are determined and have a good medical team, you will succeed. I think one of the main points is to be positive about your choice. There's no point in dwelling on the leg you will lose - it is a damaged limb you're losing not the leg you had before your accident.

I am sure that you will exceed whatever expectations and goals you have so long as you have a positive outlook and the determination to get the very best out of a bad situation.

The reality of your surgery is nowhere as bad a the nightmare scenario you have in your mind. I know this message is after your op, but I hope that when you log in next time you'll be thinking of the future!

Wondercat

Glad your surgery went well. Take things easy. It will take some time for things to heal.

I just wanted you to know that my thoughts are with you on a healthy and speedy recovery, Learem... Peace-