Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
ali.hall

Radical

Today, me, my brother and sister-in-law drove down the coast to Tynemouth. The rain was lashing it down and it was freezing cold as we strode confidently onto the beach to start our first ever surfing lesson.

At the start I was a bit nervous as it looks very difficult but when I got going it was brilliant. I wore my waterproof leg and within a few goes I was able to catch a wave and ride it the whole way into the shore, getting to my knees. I then managed a few goes standing up, for a couple of seconds before completely wiping out. It was a fantastic day though and I would recommend it to anyone, if I can give it a go then anyone can, believe me. You will be thrown all over the place and be very tired at the end, but it is well worth it and my leg stayed on, thankfully.

Photos to come.

That takes my year tally to skiing, surfing and Munro hiking :D

Yaaaayyyy .. itt freelings awesome donesn't it :-) It took me foforever too to gettting bacck on my slaltebaord and now I rideee it all the time an dmy maoauntain bike and my motororcuycle too :-)

Youu cann ddoing anaything if you bebeliving in yourselfm totoally :-)

mj

Good for you, Ali!

Congrats on the accomplishment! I am totally envious.

Caroln

Far out, Ali! B)

That's what I call "Doin' it!" :D :D

well done.

still waiting on a water activity knee.

Good bit of coast, worth a detour to Dunstanborough Castle

Onya Ali :rolleyes: ,,,,,you're a champ

What Shane said. I hope you never find the boundries.

Have another lesson on Monday after work, should be good. Will get those pictures from the first day up, they are on facebook, just not here yet.d

Hi Ali,

Fantastic keep up the good work but most of all enjoy,

I will second what caveman said, we have some really smashing deserted beaches up here which stretch as far as the eye can see, I know as I have walked them.

If you fancy a day out hiking on our coast please pm me and we see if something can be arranged. Unfortunately it can’t be too hard/far as I’m nursing a knackered Achilles tendon at the moment.

Caveman I have a water activity knee I’m a bit disappointed with it, I can just about use it to carry the canoe from the car to the water but trying to do anything in the water is really difficult I have found it best to lock the knee when in the water other wise the tide pushes the foot back so you cant step on it, (its rather frustrating) but it does allow you to get out on the water so I shouldn’t complain.

The first time I went canoeing out in the sea and got tipped out I was wearing my old endolight 4 bar knee ,( not recommended) trust me I nearly drowned not an experience I would like to do again, but when I told them at the limb centre they made me a water leg almost straight away.

Sorry Ali didn’t mean to hijack your thread.

By the way the North Sea is always freezing, Mick

Great pictures 'Ali'

;) ann

Was surfing again tonight, was great. Managed a bit more than I did before which was good but the waves were massive and much more difficult tonight. At some points I couldn't keep my prosthesis on the ground the current was so strong. Fighting on though, still aim to get standing properly on the board :D