Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
flip

Questions regarding showers in hotel rooms

I am new to the forum and a relatively new amputee...just over 1 year. I am a bilateral below knee amputee who will once again begin traveling for work. I get along pretty well, so at home, I can just get into my bathtub and take a shower with a long nozzle that is attached to the shower head. I no longer have to use a chair, etc. I haven't ever used a handicapped accessible hotel room yet and I was wondering what I should expect as far as a shower goes.

I will take my wheelchair along when I travel because of the distance to walk in the airports, but get along pretty well with just one cane. Of course, I never know...things seem to change day by day for new amputees. Do handicapped accessible hotel rooms in the U.S. usually have the long nozzles attached to the shower heads? Just don't know what to expect :) Thank you all for your input...any other tips would be great!.

Flip, my experience has been that "handicapped" hotel rooms basically mean "wheelchair accessible." Period. I've been in some hotels that do have shower stools available, but I've not encountered one that provides a hand-held shower head. I know someone who packs their own shower head -- it just slips on over the faucet -- and uses that. I just set a shower stool under the normal shower head and then do the contortionist thing to get as much clean as possible. Or else I take a sponge bath in the sink.

There are also shower protectors that can be worn over your prostheses so you can wear your legs in the shower... several of us have variations on that, and I'm investigating it myself (I'm hard to fit). For limited term trips, that can be an answer.

My opinion is that it would be safer for you to use a shower chair. Most large hotel chains have a limited number of shower chairs available upon request. I have a bilateral BK friend who just stands on his knees when he showers. I use a leg protector and stand. Most of us can do whatever if it is warranted, but I like to plan it the way I want it. If you do a lot of traveling, try it different ways and see which is best suited for you.

My opinion is that it would be safer for you to use a shower chair. Most large hotel chains have a limited number of shower chairs available upon request. I have a bilateral BK friend who just stands on his knees when he showers. I use a leg protector and stand. Most of us can do whatever if it is warranted, but I like to plan it the way I want it. If you do a lot of traveling, try it different ways and see which is best suited for you.

Hi Neal-thank you for your tips. Don't do alot of traveling normally. Probably only 3-4 times a year,but every 3 years our company has their conventions, of which I will be there working. The next one is in Las Vegas, which means I will be in Vegas for 3 weeks working!! Maybe I won't have to worry about it, I'll probably be dead by the time the convention is over, ha! Or at least deaf from hearing all the slot machines :) Could just do the bath thing, but more worried about the shower because as a woman, have hair to the shoulders, so have to take care of that! Could stand on my knees, but that may get kind of slippery, I'll have to call ahead and see what kind of set up they have. So many things to think about now that I just took for granted before! :)

Hi Neal-thank you for your tips. Don't do alot of traveling normally. Probably only 3-4 times a year,but every 3 years our company has their conventions, of which I will be there working. The next one is in Las Vegas, which means I will be in Vegas for 3 weeks working!! Maybe I won't have to worry about it, I'll probably be dead by the time the convention is over, ha! Or at least deaf from hearing all the slot machines :) Could just do the bath thing, but more worried about the shower because as a woman, have hair to the shoulders, so have to take care of that! Could stand on my knees, but that may get kind of slippery, I'll have to call ahead and see what kind of set up they have. So many things to think about now that I just took for granted before! :)

I like to take my fold down shower chair and hand held shower nozzle and a tool to put it on with. Tried the nozzle that "supposedly" fits over the faucet and it didn't-it will fit on a sink faucet, but that's not a big help. I've got it here if someone wants it. lol!

Susan

From what I gathered at the conference, several people took a shower head with a long hose on it and installed it on the shower head at the hotel... Make sure to ask for a shower chair when you make a reservation, and a shower mat wouldn't hurt a thing either.. If nothing else, a mat helps when you are coming out of the shower. The worst fall I have taken since becoming an amputee was in a high end hotel. The tile floor in the bathroom got very slick when it had steam from the shower settling on it..Sometimes, the handicap bathrooms will have a fold down bench with an adjustable height shower head in it. I guess the biggest suggestion any of us can give is, once you know what hotel it is, call them, and tell them you are handicapped and ask how their set up is..

A lot of the time, when you call a hotel, about reservations, they will flip you to a national person who deals with reservations for the whole chain of hotels.. My suggestion, is to ask for the person at that specific hotel, who assigns rooms... Most of them will have one person who does that.. Talk with that person. It might give you a better idea..and a better set up for what is needed for you.. Don't be afraid to ask.. it's their job to make sure that you are comfortable and your needs are taken care of.

Being a Bilat BK myself I have only ever stood on my knees when showering. I have found that shower chairs come in different hights and not always adjustable which can cause a few problems getting on and off. I use one of those garden kneeling mats to protect my knees as floor surfaces can vary. As Neal has said, try different ways, after all it is about what works for you.

(snip) I have found that shower chairs come in different hights and not always adjustable which can cause a few problems getting on and off. I use one of those garden kneeling mats to protect my knees as floor surfaces can vary. As Neal has said, try different ways, after all it is about what works for you.

Love my shower chair. I turn it long ways and use it straddled. It's what I use at home, too.

http://www.1800wheelchair.com/siteimages/l...shower12486.jpg

(snip) I have found that shower chairs come in different hights and not always adjustable which can cause a few problems getting on and off. I use one of those garden kneeling mats to protect my knees as floor surfaces can vary. As Neal has said, try different ways, after all it is about what works for you.

Love my shower chair. I turn it long ways and use it straddled. It's what I use at home, too.

http://www.1800wheelchair.com/siteimages/l...shower12486.jpg

'SusanI'

I never thought of that....mine is like yours. Cool ;) ann

I drop the shower head.

take off leg

sit on the floor/bath

turn on water.

bottom shuffle to seat.

no worries!

I am new to the forum and a relatively new amputee...just over 1 year. I am a bilateral below knee amputee who will once again begin traveling for work. I get along pretty well, so at home, I can just get into my bathtub and take a shower with a long nozzle that is attached to the shower head. I no longer have to use a chair, etc. I haven't ever used a handicapped accessible hotel room yet and I was wondering what I should expect as far as a shower goes.

I will take my wheelchair along when I travel because of the distance to walk in the airports, but get along pretty well with just one cane. Of course, I never know...things seem to change day by day for new amputees. Do handicapped accessible hotel rooms in the U.S. usually have the long nozzles attached to the shower heads? Just don't know what to expect :) Thank you all for your input...any other tips would be great!.

A little late but useful. One of our members Jim T sells a shower curtain for your prothesis. It is great - comes in lengths and is great for traveling.

JudyH

I drop the shower head.

take off leg

sit on the floor/bath

turn on water.

bottom shuffle to seat.

no worries!

A true camper!, lol.. Yes, same here...I do a lot of city trips and not too keen on dragging my water leg with me. Unfortunately not all hotels offer these shower stools so one must remain open for alternative ways of showering! I've even used the bin to sit on on many occasions: just turn it upside down and voila! . I also have a lightweight, foldable plastic camping chair that i just bring along on some trips when i go by car.

I am also bilateral and find the main thing about using a different bath shower to what you have at home, is the getting in or out. Quite often the shower will be over the bath anyway, the bath only needs to be a bit higher or different way round etc. and it can make it quite difficult.

Not quite sure what type of b/k prosthesis you are wearing, but what I often do, is just put one on and use that as a lever to lever me in the bath, leave it by the bath and you can do the same to get out. I usually sit on the floor or kneel in the bath/shower, I don't find bath seats or shower seats very helpful at all.

I am also bilateral and find the main thing about using a different bath shower to what you have at home, is the getting in or out. Quite often the shower will be over the bath anyway, the bath only needs to be a bit higher or different way round etc. and it can make it quite difficult.

Not quite sure what type of b/k prosthesis you are wearing, but what I often do, is just put one on and use that as a lever to lever me in the bath, leave it by the bath and you can do the same to get out. I usually sit on the floor or kneel in the bath/shower, I don't find bath seats or shower seats very helpful at all.

Ann - I don't know how long you have been bilateral. Are you below knee also? Was wondering if you go without any canes at all or ever have to use a wheelchair? My surgery was just a little over a year ago, am using 1 cane at work or can walk around with no canes but not for really long distances yet. I'm still using a wheelchair for long distances such as airports. I am starting to feel down, guess I thought I would be even better by now, I guess I'm not very patient. I want legs that I don't constantly feel that I have them on...does that ever happen? I go see the leg guy this week to see if there is something else I can do for shin pain. Probably time for new legs. I have good insurance, but legs are still really expensive here in the States. Thanks for taking the time to talk. Tough having 2 prosthesis sometimes...no use wishing for just 1...I must be having a down day..just want to feel normal again. Thank you again

Ann - I don't know how long you have been bilateral. Are you below knee also? Was wondering if you go without any canes at all or ever have to use a wheelchair? My surgery was just a little over a year ago, am using 1 cane at work or can walk around with no canes but not for really long distances yet. I'm still using a wheelchair for long distances such as airports. I am starting to feel down, guess I thought I would be even better by now, I guess I'm not very patient. I want legs that I don't constantly feel that I have them on...does that ever happen? I go see the leg guy this week to see if there is something else I can do for shin pain. Probably time for new legs. I have good insurance, but legs are still really expensive here in the States. Thanks for taking the time to talk. Tough having 2 prosthesis sometimes...no use wishing for just 1...I must be having a down day..just want to feel normal again. Thank you again

Hi Flip

I have been bilateral for about 39 yrs, since the age of 12. I am also below knee, and do occassionally use a wheelchair or crutches, or sticks or whatever if I need to, usually if the limbs are uncomfortable, but I find more so as I get older, part of that is probably me, years ago I just used to keep walking and quite often end up with sores etc., but these days, maybe because life has slowed down slightly, I will try and prevent that if I can. Am currently waiting to go in for a revision operation on one of the stumps so will be back to square one after that for a little while.

Sorry you are feeling down, I am not a very patient person either, so know how you feel. I think a lot of how I feel depends on how comfortable or uncomfortable the limbs feel, I have had shin pain too in the past, and I had an actual lump come up on the shin, it turned out it was the limb and when it was replaced the lump and the pain went away. I live in the UK, so no insurance problems, but sometimes our NHS can be just as difficult to negotiate. But a year's not very long and although I can't remember, as it was such a long time ago, before long things settle down and you gradually get back to normal, or maybe get used to adapting to a slightly different normal. The first year is probably the worst as your stumps will be changing such a lot and everything is new to you, not to mention your body adjusting to such a major change.

Think we all get 'down days' sometimes. Yes, agree, sometimes it is tough having two prosthesis, but think there are advantages too, for me it has become my normal so don't tend to think about it that much. Good luck and I hope your insurance can sort out some comfortable limbs for you, I am sure that will make a difference to how you feel.

Hi Flip

I have been bilateral for about 39 yrs, since the age of 12. I am also below knee, and do occassionally use a wheelchair or crutches, or sticks or whatever if I need to, usually if the limbs are uncomfortable, but I find more so as I get older, part of that is probably me, years ago I just used to keep walking and quite often end up with sores etc., but these days, maybe because life has slowed down slightly, I will try and prevent that if I can. Am currently waiting to go in for a revision operation on one of the stumps so will be back to square one after that for a little while.

Sorry you are feeling down, I am not a very patient person either, so know how you feel. I think a lot of how I feel depends on how comfortable or uncomfortable the limbs feel, I have had shin pain too in the past, and I had an actual lump come up on the shin, it turned out it was the limb and when it was replaced the lump and the pain went away. I live in the UK, so no insurance problems, but sometimes our NHS can be just as difficult to negotiate. But a year's not very long and although I can't remember, as it was such a long time ago, before long things settle down and you gradually get back to normal, or maybe get used to adapting to a slightly different normal. The first year is probably the worst as your stumps will be changing such a lot and everything is new to you, not to mention your body adjusting to such a major change.

Think we all get 'down days' sometimes. Yes, agree, sometimes it is tough having two prosthesis, but think there are advantages too, for me it has become my normal so don't tend to think about it that much. Good luck and I hope your insurance can sort out some comfortable limbs for you, I am sure that will make a difference to how you feel.

Ann - sorry you are going to have to go in and have revision surgery. I know it will probably be helpful for you, just hate to see you have to go through it...hey...at least it's just one leg this time! haha. You will have to let me know when you are going in, so I can send good thoughts your way. Thanks for the info on everything that you have been through. Sometimes it just helps to talk. I also agree with you about shower chairs...they aren't real helpful for bilateral's and can be dangerous...I will hang in there and let me know how you are doing also. It helps to talk to you and Higgy and others who have more experience with this than I. Thank you...

Ann - sorry you are going to have to go in and have revision surgery. I know it will probably be helpful for you, just hate to see you have to go through it...hey...at least it's just one leg this time! haha. You will have to let me know when you are going in, so I can send good thoughts your way. Thanks for the info on everything that you have been through. Sometimes it just helps to talk. I also agree with you about shower chairs...they aren't real helpful for bilateral's and can be dangerous...I will hang in there and let me know how you are doing also. It helps to talk to you and Higgy and others who have more experience with this than I. Thank you...

Your welcome Flip. Thanks for your kind words, will try to post on the forum before I go in for the op.

Who used such adaptation for bathing in an artificial limb. Write responses please. It seems to me very conveniently and takes not a lot of place at travel.

/www.drycorp.com