Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
madman

Scuba Diving?

Hi, I will be having a BK amputation in a month or so following a mountain climbing accident. I am determined I will be back climbing and treking again as soon as I can but I am also a Divemaster. Scuba diving is a major part of my life and I was hoping someone out there can let me know if they have managed to successfully dive with a prosthetic limb.

Thanks

I wish you all the best in your goals but I just had to laugh at the thought of someone signing up to be certified and on the first day, meeting you.

Dont be surprized if a few people run away. You will HAVE to explain that it was NOT a shark...and fast. LOL

Can you explain that while chasing them?? Good luck to you, you seem very determined and talented. Two great qualities when dealing with this.

I saw a guy maybe a year ago on TV from one of those extreme makeover shows, and he was an amputee and had this special prosthetic made with a moveable foot with a fin attached. Seemed to work pretty well, maybe you could ask someone about getting one of those.

With my prosthetics they kind of float so it's not so good for diving. And climbing and trekking shouldnt be a problem, it hasn't been for me except on long treks it gets a bit sore

Hi,

I've definitely heard of amputees scuba diving and I should imagine that you will be able to get back out there fairly easily. There are also definitely legs out there with special fins and the like and ankles that you can adjust so that they point in the correct direction for diving. I personally haven't tried it but I did try water skiing the other week. I just used a bog standard water leg that I got on the NHS. It fell off because the pressure of the water was just too much. Next time I am going to put a knee support sleeve on over the leg to see if that makes a difference and I think it will.

You will definitely be able to get back to it you just might need to be a little creative with how you go about it.

Good luck with it all.

Fiona

Hi, I will be having a BK amputation in a month or so following a mountain climbing accident. I am determined I will be back climbing and treking again as soon as I can but I am also a Divemaster. Scuba diving is a major part of my life and I was hoping someone out there can let me know if they have managed to successfully dive with a prosthetic limb.

Why don't you contact co1b1? (At least, I think that's his username? :unsure: )

Take a look at his profile and you'll find a link to his website ... and information about scuba diving! B)

Good luck with the op.

Lizzie :)

September 28, 2008

First Dive Intro to Scuba Clinic, Lincoln, Neb. Contact: Robin Burton phone: (215) 752-5756 fax: (215) 752-5759 e-mail: rlb@opfund.org www.opfund.org

Robin might be able to give you some info.

Best of luck,

Susan

surely you can dive without a prosthetic? Plenty of thrust from one leg and arms.

I have not got back to diving, but swimming is a joy.

Guest mbAK65

I dive without my leg. Just use one fin and weight my BC heavy on the rt to balance out the trim. I use my arms more then most divers, and more air just powering myself, but can do a nice dive along with the others and don't get behind or have to go up much sooner. Boat diving is easiest as I can just wear my leg on the boat and then leave it up top while I dive. Shore diving involves having someone else take all my gear out in water and donning it there, that's a bit more tricky. Did my certifying dive in Alaska in a dry suit at 10° in Resurrection Bay in January, did wear my leg inside the suit, but buoyancy was a much bigger issue with the dry suit & leg that wanted to float. I much prefer the warm water/weather diving with no leg. :rolleyes:

Mary Beth

RBK

Hi,

I scuba dive with a 'water leg' (there is a more politically correct term for it -especially when dealing with your insurance company, lol)

The ankle is set at 90 degrees so the fin tip points downwards but this isn't really a problem as the knee is slightly bent anyway. Ofcourse the fact you cant stretch the foot is a hindrance to speed but who wants to speed past the beauty down there anyway? - allow the current to drift you along :-) just as long as there are no sharks behind.

Mountain climbing is actually now my endeavor but my pros has it's limits (those slopes....!!!) I try to find rocks and use them as a steps - if that makes any sense at all :wacko: (the 90 degree set ankle definatelly has its limits here!!) but i am determined to find a solution.

tata and good luck!

I just received an info package from a leg outfit. It contained the most recent issue of Edge magazine (for manufacturers). The cover image is of a person called Heath Calhoun who I met at a ACA conference a couple of years ago.........................bilateral AK...............same as me.

\he is wearing his regular sockets, sealed water tight with a diver's suit, fins, and feet developed to "swing into the required position".

Worth a look if you can find it. I have also seen footage of Dana Bowman using arty legs and fins .............ak/bk.

Myself I will be looking into an arrangement similar to Calhoun's..............in the near future.

ED

so interesting reading about the diving

dh ~ got his padi ticket..open water just before his accident

now with the loss of his rg arm ~ i'm sure that re-certification is required

anyone know?

so interesting reading about the diving

dh ~ got his padi ticket..open water just before his accident

now with the loss of his rg arm ~ i'm sure that re-certification is required

anyone know?

There will be no formal recertification required, but a refresher dive or two with an experienced diver would be a wise move, just to make sure that he's got the hang of it. A missing limb does change the balance and movement, but it's not a bar by any means. I've been doing it quite nicely without a left leg BK, both with a swim leg--I mean "shower leg"--and without.

I'm NAUI Advanced certified. My instructor didn't do anything different for me than her other students. We did prefer the ease of boat dives, but if you've got a buddy that doesn't mind lugging your gear, walk-in dives are OK too.

I'm AK, and just swim with one fin ... the prosthetic stays on the beach (or in the boat). I use an Atomic Split-Fin. It's a little large, but that helps compensate. I also use my arms more than most divers ... not necessarily for locomotion, more for stabilizing. Over time, I improved my stability by using my single fin in a slight figure-8 movement.

In a straight line, I look like the ol' "Man from Atlantis" (anyone? Patrick Duffy? am I dating myself?)

I love being in the water. It levels the bar ... I can swim faster than some of my bi-pedal friends.

The ankle is set at 90 degrees so the fin tip points downwards but this isn't really a problem as the knee is slightly bent anyway. Ofcourse the fact you cant stretch the foot is a hindrance to speed but who wants to speed past the beauty down there anyway? - allow the current to drift you along :-) just as long as there are no sharks behind.

Speaking strictly as a BKA (literally Symes), I have yet to see the benefit of using special equipment for SCUBA diving. I wear a prosthesis I had built in 1988. The fin is as Kas describes; but as already indicated, you're not supposed to touch the ground and muck up the experience for other divers anyway so with bent knees, a 90 degree foot is just fine.

I also agree with drift diving . . . why bother finning when the current will pass you by the beauty in due course. :biggrin:

However, when diving with 'flooded mines' buddy's, they will frog kick and whatever else, leaving me behind. I use weaker fins because of the 90 degree angle. When I've tried stiffer fins, I would do more of a bicycle motion than an appropriate motion.

WARNING: You will not be able to do the "frog" kick! I know, I know, it looks 'cool' and is the most efficient, but it's just not in the cards for us. However, if you DO figure out a way to make it work, let me know. I wanna look cool too! :cool: