Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
flip

winter boots....just wondering

I am a double below knee amputee of 1 year. After my surgery, I more or less gave away all of my great heels, sandals and Ugg boots to my daughter and nieces. I gave my Ugg boots away because I could not get them over my new feet. I must admit, I must be completely ignorant because I don't have any idea what kind of feet I have. It sounds like others are able to get boots like Uggs on and when I read on the forum about women wearing heels, well...that is great! I don't know if I would be able to wear heels again since I am a double amp. I am certainly going to be talking to the leg guy about all of this, but if you could give me some kind of idea what kind of feet you all have (sounds kind of funny doesn't it :) ) that lets you wear boots such as Uggs, I would appreciate it. Your ankles must bend or something...I thought for sure that the Uggs would work, but they didn't..I am still on my first set of legs, so am still pretty new to everything. Thank you for all your help and support! Hope you are all fine.

Flip

I am a double below knee amputee of 1 year. After my surgery, I more or less gave away all of my great heels, sandals and Ugg boots to my daughter and nieces. I gave my Ugg boots away because I could not get them over my new feet. I must admit, I must be completely ignorant because I don't have any idea what kind of feet I have. It sounds like others are able to get boots like Uggs on and when I read on the forum about women wearing heels, well...that is great! I don't know if I would be able to wear heels again since I am a double amp. I am certainly going to be talking to the leg guy about all of this, but if you could give me some kind of idea what kind of feet you all have (sounds kind of funny doesn't it :) ) that lets you wear boots such as Uggs, I would appreciate it. Your ankles must bend or something...I thought for sure that the Uggs would work, but they didn't..I am still on my first set of legs, so am still pretty new to everything. Thank you for all your help and support! Hope you are all fine.

Flip

Hi Flip

The question of heels has come up a few times lately. I am also a bilateral below knee, and really have no idea of what feet I am wearing either, so wouldn't worry about that, whatever mine are they are pretty basic, however, they do work for me, but having been a bilateral below knee for many years, the couple of times I have been switched to more updated feet I have problems walking, however, whether thats been partly due to the actual feet, socket fitting or alignment, I am not sure, as they have usually been tried on an existing limb which is pretty uncomfortable anyway.

Anyhow, in the past I used to wear heels all the time, the feet I used then just used to have to be set up to a higher heel, there was no problem at all. In fact when I started to learn to walk was told that a small heel was beneficial. Only thing was I had to wear them all the time and couldn't swop around, although nowadays with the height adjustable feet on the market this shouldn't be so much of a problem to you. Generally, I didn't have any problem wearing heels, as long as the actual heel bit of the shoe wasn't too thin (chunkier heels are easier to balance) and also that the shoe itself was quite strong.

However, as in life, generally, although we have more technology things seem to have got more complicated, last week I was discussing a foot for a new limb I am having made and was told that there was two types of the same model foot I use, one was for slightly higher heels the other one not, however the one that did not apparently had other benefits which escape me now, since I am bilateral and they were only putting it on one foot, plus currently all my shoes are at a certain height, it wasn't a lot of help.

With regard the boots, if you find any that are wearable please advise, I myself haven't found any that will allow me to get the foot in and accommodate a wider calf area. I keep a look out every winter and would love to get a pair of boots that would fit.

*looks down under the desk at my ugh boots* :rolleyes:

Buy them half to one size bigger and use a knee high stocking to "slide" is over you foot.

I must admit it's a little bit of a struggle but I am persistent......some might say annoying :rolleyes: :P

They are much easier to get off than on, just be patient ;)

Hi Ann! Since you are also a below knee bilateral amputee, there is so much you could fill me in on I'll bet!

I had some questions on the adjustable feet...do you just adjust them up or down yourself? My current ankles are made so they look like a real ankle (the leg guy actually did a pretty good job :))...so how do you adjust them? Or to be able to adjust them,are your ankles not finished? I just don't have enough experience yet and am just now asking the questions that I probably should have asked a year ago. I'm just happy that I can walk at work now with just 1 cane, and actually can walk quite a bit with no canes. I'm still not happy with my walk, I think my legs turn in a bit, so I will work on that with the leg guy. I'll let you know what I find out when I try some boots if I find anything that works. It's hard not having at least 1 good leg isn't it? I'll be glad when some more time passes and I get better and more used to everything. Thank you for your help!

Lynne

*looks down under the desk at my ugh boots* :rolleyes:

Buy them half to one size bigger and use a knee high stocking to "slide" is over you foot.

I must admit it's a little bit of a struggle but I am persistent......some might say annoying :rolleyes: :P

They are much easier to get off than on, just be patient ;)

Cat - thank you for the advise! I will try them a size bigger than what I usually wear. I'm always afraid I will break the foot if I mess with it too much. If I buy another pair of Uggs, I may take them to my leg guy and let him see if he can get them on for me...that way if something happens, he will have to fix them! :))) One of the bad things about the amputation is that you can't feel the wonderful inside of Uggs anymore :angry: ...but...if I could just get some to fit, they would really be safe to walk in I think. I will give it a try..thank you so much!

Hey Flip, I saw these today while shopping and thought of you. They might help and I'm sure you could get them over there. :D

Click On this

Hey Flip, I saw these today while shopping and thought of you. They might help and I'm sure you could get them over there. :D

Click On this

Cat - you're wonderful! Never thought of the lace up style of Ugg boots!. My daughter wears a size larger than I do, so I was going to try her regular Ugg boots to see if I could get them on, but this is a really good idea too! Thank you so much for thinking of me and getting back to me! You all have already given me such good advise....heck, who else but someone in Australia could understand any better how wonderful Ugg boots are!!! even if I can't feel how soft they are anymore on the bottom of my feet, :) You bet I can get them here!!! Thanks again!

Click On this

Cat - you're wonderful!

Nah just persistent :rolleyes: ...There's a way to do everything you just gotta find it ;) Hope the idea works

Oh my God!!!!!!!!! You just happen to pick Cat's favorite thing........ shoes......... :lol: :lol:

One of the answers to your questions, Flip... On the Elation foot from Ossur, you push a button in the ankle area and then move to socket portion of the leg, forward or backward to accomodate heel or no heel.. The other feet that are on the market, I'm not so sure of.. I heard that one of them was using the set screw to adjust the feet..

Second, mine is not covered. I don't like the drag that the covering put on my leg inside of jeans and here on the farm, it really didn't seem like a good idea to me.. I'd be more prone to tearing it on a piece of machinery than anything. Or having the dog run up and jump on me and tear it like she scratches my good leg.. Covered or not, is a personal choice and will get many different views.

One little trick, if you are trying to put a different shoe on, is just a dab of baby powder inside the shoe. It will allow a little slip making it easier sometimes to get on..

I agree with a heavy cleated shoe in these Illinois winters. I wear a lace up boot with a deep tread that I purchased somewhere else. It has about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch heel on it. They work pretty good on the ice.. Better than regular "pretty" shoes for the office. These don't look so bad either. They have a smooth leather finish that is shiny so they work with slacks..Being bilateral, by all means, you wouldn't want to slip in the winter.. It's good that your daughter has just about the same size foot. It gives you the opportunity to try different shoes and see how they work with your prosthetic feet.. If the heel height isn't adjustable, you will see a difference in how your feet work with different heel heights..

And remember, this is why the forum is here..... we all learn as we go............. even years down the road, we are always learning something new from members on the forum....

Oh my God!!!!!!!!! You just happen to pick Cat's favorite thing........ shoes......... :lol: :lol:

One of the answers to your questions, Flip... On the Elation foot from Ossur, you push a button in the ankle area and then move to socket portion of the leg, forward or backward to accomodate heel or no heel.. The other feet that are on the market, I'm not so sure of.. I heard that one of them was using the set screw to adjust the feet..

Second, mine is not covered. I don't like the drag that the covering put on my leg inside of jeans and here on the farm, it really didn't seem like a good idea to me.. I'd be more prone to tearing it on a piece of machinery than anything. Or having the dog run up and jump on me and tear it like she scratches my good leg.. Covered or not, is a personal choice and will get many different views.

One little trick, if you are trying to put a different shoe on, is just a dab of baby powder inside the shoe. It will allow a little slip making it easier sometimes to get on..

I agree with a heavy cleated shoe in these Illinois winters. I wear a lace up boot with a deep tread that I purchased somewhere else. It has about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch heel on it. They work pretty good on the ice.. Better than regular "pretty" shoes for the office. These don't look so bad either. They have a smooth leather finish that is shiny so they work with slacks..Being bilateral, by all means, you wouldn't want to slip in the winter.. It's good that your daughter has just about the same size foot. It gives you the opportunity to try different shoes and see how they work with your prosthetic feet.. If the heel height isn't adjustable, you will see a difference in how your feet work with different heel heights..

And remember, this is why the forum is here..... we all learn as we go............. even years down the road, we are always learning something new from members on the forum....

Thank you Higgy! My ankles are finished (the leg guy even put ankle bones in them, haha) but..if I was on the farm, no way would I probably bother with it. You are right...they would be catching on things and getting torn up all the time. My current feet aren't adjustable, so have only worn tennis shoes or all kinds of flats so far. Called the leg guy today and we will set up a time to just sit down and talk about what I need in my 2nd set of legs. I'm not sure he's so thrilled about the adjustable feet, I don't know why, but I'm going to ask more questions this time. You are right..I can tell Cat loves shoes! I'm going to take her advise on the boots, I will need something for the Illinois winters. I wore shorts outside for the first time today to water the flowers, etc...it felt wonderful again! Just too hot not too. Take care of yourself, thanks for the info regarding using the powder on the feet, that makes alot of sense. You guys know everything!!

Nah, it's just trial and error that make us seem like we know a lot......and the fact that some of us have been at it longer than others.....

Usually, I think it's a matter of thinking "outside the box". We are stuck in what we had always known, and want to go back to what is familiar.. but, it gets easier, to think outside that box and figure out what works for you... Same with shoes...... pick a good friend, or your daughter, and when you are fresh, rested and ready, go shoe shopping.... take a good shoe horn, and don't be afraid to take your leg off to try the shoe on it if you have to... You should of seen me trying to get mud boots on my foot one day, in a farm store.... :lol: :lol: :lol: I would have it off struggling to get a boot on or off, then step into the leg and walk around.. The clerk sure gave me some funny looks, but hey!, I need to have them for the muddy days around the barn... It was probably June or July of that year, and I was wearing shorts too.. (I'm always in shorts, except at work). so I'm sure it was a pretty funny sight.. but, I got the boots that fit and I can get them on and off the prosthetic foot..

Flip

I finally got boots last winter. They lace up and I had to have a shoe repair cut the sice of the tongue because they have an attached tongue but they work great. They are put away but I will dig them out and get you the brand. These are not dress boots

JudyH

I came online to ask a shoe question so i'm sorry for the thread hijack!!!

I was just wondering if there was any way i could get away with a pair of boots with a small smallll heel if i put a wedge in the shoe or something? This whole winter all i've wanted is a nice pair of boots but they're too friggen hard to find :(

I don't have UGG boots but bought some sheepskin apres-ski boots from Rossignol which I can't get on (bought a couple of weeks before accident). I will be going back up the mountain one way or another.

My solution is to make the boot rear entry by getting a zip installed at the back to make them (rear entry).

heels are discussed eleswhere, (brio insert/runway foot etc)