Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Drew2

Vacuum Suspension Socket

Reflected Liner Hypobaric Seal

Does anyone know anything about this vacuum design?

http://www.oandp.com/news/jmcorner/2007-03...+Hypobaric+Seal

Another article on the "Flip Down Socket"

http://mailman1.u.washington.edu/pipermail...ary/013002.html

Anyone know anyone in this design? My prosthetist spoke to John Warren, and it looks like it is what my prosthetist are going to try it with a few patients.

The negative pressure system is by far the most comfortable system I've used.

What is the negative pressure system?

I am a 3yr BKA. 38yo used to be very active. I use a pin socket and have typical issues. At night my leg has sores in particular areas. Sweating walking 20 minutes. Not comfortable or maybe secure is a better word because the fit or leg doesnt feel very secured to me.

One of my main issues in every fit is I am a bit bow legged. With the pin socket my prosthetist said there isn't much room to move it out because the pin design goes straight down. So when I walk I feel like I am kind of slightly tipping over to the side since the prosthetic isn't out enough.

Should I try and make the switch to a vacuum suspension socket? If so what type is best? My residual limb for a BKA is a little on the longer side. I just want to be active, walk without pain, and not have tipping over feeling due to being bow legged and pin socket not having the versatility to remedy this.

Sorry but I have probably more bad/so-so days then good days.

Hey Keano.....

During one of my fittings, early on, I was having an issue where my foot needed to be moved to the outside.. My prosthetist put a "slide" mechanism in so that he could actually slide the foot to the inside or outside to help correct stance.. Is it possible that your guy could do the same, to help correct your stance issues? After 3 years, you shouldn't be having any sores..Are you still shrinking?

I seemed to have slowed down in shrinking. It has seemed to have stayed steady for awhile now. Slider I will ask about. I think he does use this because he says he is maxed out. He said that with a vacuum system there is more room for adjustment. Wonder if this is true. Would love to talk to another leg guy somehow email or what not to get opinions.

I have my Harmony e-pulse test socket on right now. I have had no problem with it.

Will be walking with this socket for a week so my legman can fine tune the socket.

Ask away with any questions.

Hi Ed. I have a fairly obvious question. Does the fit seem to be radically better than your old system? I am trying to get my leg guy interested in fitting me with one of the vacuum systems so I am very interested in any reports on those systems.

Thanks,

ken

Hi Ed. I have a fairly obvious question. Does the fit seem to be radically better than your old system? I am trying to get my leg guy interested in fitting me with one of the vacuum systems so I am very interested in any reports on those systems.

Thanks,

ken

YES it is. I like the way I can set the amount of vacuum. It feels better on my residual limb. The only problem I had is the liner, since it is custom made. Mine bunched up behind my knee. My legman had to have them redo it.

By the way it makes a good nightlight when it is in charge mode(ha-ha).

Charge mode. Sorry I don't have a vacuum leg what does charge refer too?

Hello Keano

I have the Harmony e-pulse by OTTO BOCK. It has a electronic pump module to create the vacuum. I can tun up or down the vacuum. The module has a rechargeable lithium-ion battery. It has to be charged every two days. The type of foot I have is TRIAS PLUS.

Actually the vacuum removes any air, and thus draws the skin out towards the socket. There are several different devices that can do this. (Neal - what was that little black squeezie thing that you used?)

Here is a short video for one AK system. There are several systems out there. My prosthetist is trying this one. I'd love feedback from anyone in a similar system. He really cut down my socket. (scary thought - I'm really used to my ischial containment.) Haven't walked much on it yet - just on the test socket in the parallel bars.

http://www.oandp.com/news/jmcorner/2007-03...down_socket.asf

I used a brake bleeder to remove the air.

It depends on what your altitude is as to how much negative pressure you can achieve. I don't understand this, but it is what I was told. I was told that I could expect to achieve 17-20lbs of negative pressure at my altitude of 750 ft above sea level.

I used a brake bleeder to remove the air.

It depends on what your altitude is as to how much negative pressure you can achieve. I don't understand this, but it is what I was told. I was told that I could expect to achieve 17-20lbs of negative pressure at my altitude of 750 ft above sea level.

Neal, your brake breeder looked smaller than others I've seen. Do you know what kind it is? I didn't know that about the altitude...interesting.

You must have me confused with someone else. I wasn't using the vacuum in Atlanta. Since I was wearing 23 plies of socks, the vacuum wasn't all that effective so I didn't even bother. Stan is now using a small battery operated pump.

I have both pumps and actually prefer the one you pump by hand...the brake bleeder one.

You must have me confused with someone else. I wasn't using the vacuum in Atlanta. Since I was wearing 23 plies of socks, the vacuum wasn't all that effective so I didn't even bother. Stan is now using a small battery operated pump.

Hi Neal,

I sat by you at Stan's presentation, and I thought you showed us a small black bulb with a connector that you attached & squeezed. I was surprised at the 23 ply socks! :o

Susan

Okay, Neal. What WERE you drinking?

Drink or not, you can't carry a brake bleeder in your pocket and mine wasn't even in Atlanta. It musta been someone else Susan. There were lots of amputees in that booth.

Drink or not, you can't carry a brake bleeder in your pocket and mine wasn't even in Atlanta. It musta been someone else Susan. There were lots of amputees in that booth.

Actually this was in the room when Stan and Jack presented, not at the booth, but apparently I was the one drinking! :blush:

Actually this was in the room when Stan and Jack presented, not at the booth, but apparently I was the one drinking! :blush:

LOL

Neal, don't they have lighter weight sleeves now? And one that is thinned out in the knee area? I hope so. ;) ann
I have been using the new OttoBock ProFlex Sleeve, with more flex in the knee/brim area, this has been the best sleeve I've had, been almost two months, and not one issue. I can feel the difference in the knee area, maybe OttoBock found the cure for us active folks! It is also lighter.

http://ottobockus.com/products/patient_com...on_products.asp

Hi Ttrekkie

I am new to this forum joined in yesterday n so happy with it because there're lots of prosthetic stuff I can learn here n all members are so friendly not as in real life. I've been a RAKA since 31 Jan 2008 due to an accident.I've already decided to go with the C-leg but still hesitate about the foot to choose but will have my two weeks C-leg trial with three different feet. I've been able to snag the C-leg for one hour and it was great. While I have a slight limp walking on my temp prosthesis with usung a cane wnen my leg guy put me on the C-leg I walked pretty smooth without any support.

I've come across your post about Harmony E-pulse and the foot you use ( TRIAS PLUS) . I would like to ask you about the E-pulse system , namely what kind of socket suspension it is used with ? Does the e-pulse work only with silicone liners ? The reason I'am curious about it is that with the C-leg I will have the flexible polyurethane socket with a rigid carbon supportive frame and have some doubts whether the e-pulse can work with such socket.

I wonder if you're happy with the Trias ? What energy return does it have ? Did u try Axtion or C-WALK foot?

looking forward to hearing from you

Take care

Eldar

Neal, don't they have lighter weight sleeves now? And one that is thinned out in the knee area? I hope so. ;) ann
I have been using the new OttoBock ProFlex Sleeve, with more flex in the knee/brim area, this has been the best sleeve I've had, been almost two months, and not one issue. I can feel the difference in the knee area, maybe OttoBock found the cure for us active folks! It is also lighter.

http://ottobockus.com/products/patient_com...on_products.asp

Just a quick update on the Pro Flex Sleeve, I'm going on 9 months with this one, never had a sleeve last this long, it's great!!!