Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Drew2

Vacuum Suspension Socket

Went to see my leg guy. I brought up vacuum legs and he said he doesn't work with them since there heavier, bulkier and tear. I still am interested though. Might do a visit to another guy for opinion.

Went to see my leg guy. I brought up vacuum legs and he said he doesn't work with them since there heavier, bulkier and tear. I still am interested though. Might do a visit to another guy for opinion.

The newer systems are not nearly as heavy. If there is any added weight at all, it is minimal. Mine was just a regular leg with a removable hand pump. No added weight. It is still the best system I've tried so far.

Sorry, I haven't been around here in a while. I am busy getting ready to have more surgery on my liver because of the cancer that started my amputee journey.

My Harmony E-Pulse only weights 5 pounds. I charge the pump battery every other day. My liner is a custom molded liner.

My legman recomeded the TRIAS PLUS foot for the E-PULSE.

I have the Harmony, and yes it may be heavier, but when the vacuum is active you don't even notice the difference. He sounds like he just doesn't know the system. And yes, things can tear, but since OttoBock came out with the ProFlex sleeve, I've had zero issues with leaks or anything else. Been over 2 years now on this system, and I love it!

Hi Everyone,

It's been ages since I've been here but I saw this thread and had to reply. I just got fitted and have received Ohio Willow Wood's Limb Logic battery operated vacuum suspension system and so far so good. I've had it for about 2 months now and the only complaint I have is amount of time it takes me to put it on. I've used the pin-lock system since my accident in 2005 and its a lot quicker. Using 2 liners instead of just one took a little to get used to, but now I wear it from about 0330 to about 2300 everyday. I had some issues with the interior liner and my skin at first but now that I am used to it I've had no problems. I sweat, but it is minimal. The liners can be cut to right above the socket and I like that. Its not heavy, and I love not having to add socks throughout the day. Hope you have great success in your leg hunt.

Diane :smile:

Hi: I am the one that started this thread awhile back. I finally took the plunge and after trying the Harmony system and the Limb Logic, I went with the Limb Logic system from Ohio Willow Wood. It's lighter and takes up less space on the leg. After being on this system I will never go back to the pin system. The only issue I have had with it was the sleeve which wound up having pin holes in less than a week. Now I have the Otto Bock Proflex sleeve and it's practically indestructible. This is the next best thing to having my real leg back.

The only negative I've ever heard about the Harmony is its weight. You also have to wear fragile custom made liners. The leg won't fall off, but if you lose vacuum, the weight of the leg feels like an anchor. The newer negative pressure (vacuum) systems are lighter in weight, can use a variety of stronger liners and usually don't carry the price tag of the Harmony. The Harmony was the first vacuum system developed.

I've worn Stan's system for the past year. It is a very comfortable system. It's also a simple system. You roll on the liner, pull up the sleeve, vacuum the air out and walk away. I seldom had to pay attention to it at all during the day. Made a snug fit for that very secure feeling. It truly makes the prosthesis feel like it is part of you.

Good luck.

I shopped around at the ACA Conference in Atlanta for a suction socket and am sure I want to return to using one. Was using the Harmony before I had a total knee replacement and had problems with a blister and had to return to a pin system so I could return to wearing something and work. I feel better in the suction socket and with a knee replacement, I want to use the knee. Can I get some comments from people wearing suction sockets? I talked to Stan and am very interested in his leg, just don't want to go to FL for a leg and followups. Talked to Ohio Willow Wood and Otto Bock people, would like to continue to use my current people and they are willing to learn new systems from other people with no hurt feelings or ego problems. They do have some experience with suction systems.

I shopped around at the ACA Conference in Atlanta for a suction socket and am sure I want to return to using one. Was using the Harmony before I had a total knee replacement and had problems with a blister and had to return to a pin system so I could return to wearing something and work. I feel better in the suction socket and with a knee replacement, I want to use the knee. Can I get some comments from people wearing suction sockets? I talked to Stan and am very interested in his leg, just don't want to go to FL for a leg and followups. Talked to Ohio Willow Wood and Otto Bock people, would like to continue to use my current people and they are willing to learn new systems from other people with no hurt feelings or ego problems. They do have some experience with suction systems.

Tross,

I, like Neal wear Stans' system and have for around a year. I love it. Had to get used to not being able to just push a button & leg dropped off. I won't ever go back to the pin system. It is a secure system that feels like your own leg. It is a smidge heavier than my other one...but that is due to my new foot {echelon} and Ahhhhhhh what a god send this one!! Absolutely a gift from the heavens.

I believe we have several on this forum that are wearing Stan's system...I'm sure they will chime in. :smile:

Best move I ever made. I can't imagine ever using a pin system again. I hope I never have to. Like Ann, it was odd to me at first not to push a button and off the leg goes but I quickly got used to it.

How much room does an AK active suction system take up in the limb build? I have a long stump and wear a turntable, so space is really at a premium on my limb build above the knee (I'm only 5'6 3/8" ( :biggrin: ) tall too.

Can I fit one of these things in without having to lower my knee?

Stan's system is unlike the others in that there is no pump affixed to the socket or pylon. The pump itself is removeable. He can even create negative pressure on a hip-dis.

Neal, don't they have lighter weight sleeves now? And one that is thinned out in the knee area? I hope so. ;) ann
I have been using the new OttoBock ProFlex Sleeve, with more flex in the knee/brim area, this has been the best sleeve I've had, been almost two months, and not one issue. I can feel the difference in the knee area, maybe OttoBock found the cure for us active folks! It is also lighter.

http://ottobockus.com/products/patient_com...on_products.asp

Okay, update on this post. I got a year out of the ProFlex sleeve, this is the best, longest sleeve, great job OttoBock. The old ones would just last a few months!

How many cost an artificial limb of foot ВК with system the Harmony and foot Trias 7

How many cost an artificial limb of foot ВК with system the Harmony and foot Trias 7

I'm getting the Harmony with a different foot tomorrow and it's costing me $16,000 U.S.

I have a Harmony system from Otto Bock and I would not ever buy another product from this company. Their inner sleeves are garbage, I found a prohstestist in San Fransisco that could make me custom durable liners. That solved the liner problem. Otto Bock does NOT stand behind their product and I hope to god you don't try their garbage. When the system works it is very good, but you just don't know when the liner will fail, there liners were only lasting me about a month. My pump is now needing to be rebuilt with a life of around 2 1/2 to 3 years. My prohstestist tells me this is normal. I'm going to get a new one built from Ohio Willow. They have an electronic system that is water proof. I know their liners are superior to Otto Bock's garbage.

We have enough issues, and trying to deal with a company that provides a poor product and poor quality service should not be one of them.

:biggrin:

I have a Harmony system from Otto Bock and I would not ever buy another product from this company. Their inner sleeves are garbage, I found a prohstestist in San Fransisco that could make me custom durable liners. That solved the liner problem. Otto Bock does NOT stand behind their product and I hope to god you don't try their garbage. When the system works it is very good, but you just don't know when the liner will fail, there liners were only lasting me about a month. My pump is now needing to be rebuilt with a life of around 2 1/2 to 3 years. My prohstestist tells me this is normal. I'm going to get a new one built from Ohio Willow. They have an electronic system that is water proof. I know their liners are superior to Otto Bock's garbage.

We have enough issues, and trying to deal with a company that provides a poor product and poor quality service should not be one of them.

What type of Harmoney system do you have ? I have the electronic pump. I use the E-PULSE and I love it. My custom uretane liner fit like a glove. I have had only on problem with the electronic pump and it was my fault.

I have had bad problems with Ohio Willowood, they do not last long with me.

Have a great day!

What type of Harmoney system do you have ? I have the electronic pump. I use the E-PULSE and I love it. My custom uretane liner fit like a glove. I have had only on problem with the electronic pump and it was my fault.

I have had bad problems with Ohio Willowood, they do not last long with me.

Have a great day!

Hi, I use a Harmony HD pump, manual system. I'm glad you are having good luck with yours, I know my experiance has been nothing but bad.

Thanks.

I have a Harmony system from Otto Bock and I would not ever buy another product from this company. Their inner sleeves are garbage, I

I just got the same system you've got and love it. What happened to the liners?

UPDATE ... Ohio Willow Wood sent me answers to all my questions. Yesterday, my prosthestist called otto Bock to find out about getting me a loaner pump while they repaired my existing HD Harmony pump. A week and a half ago we were told that I had 10 people in front of me, now I have 9...Great custome rservice. My leg guy was not happy. Well Ohio Willow wood told me they send out loaners within 24 hours, wish I had one of their units instead of this OItto Trash... I asked my prosthestist to put me in for a new Limblogic unit from Ohio Willow wood. He is ordering the new unit and I am getting casted Monday.. Dont settle for poor customer service / poor products ... Stay away from Otto Bock.

Thanks.

I have a Harmony system from Otto Bock and I would not ever buy another product from this company. Their inner sleeves are garbage, I

The liners would rip and tear for no reason. My prosthestist and I tried everything. I used custom liners, supposedly the better ones.

Here is a copy of a post I put in on another thread in response o liners. :rolleyes:

Hi, I really really hate Otto Bock (see my posts under Harmony vs. Limblogic). I have had major problems with their crappy inner liners over the years. They were ripping, tearing for no reason - so aggravating. Oh, and I was using the more expensive custom liners. I heard they had a good product before their factory moved to Utah. Well luckily I finally ran across a great web site www.stumps.org and I was introduced to Wayne Koniuk, C.P. His email is: limbart@sbcglobal.net . Wayne was able to make me some great (I mean great) liners. He took one of my old Otto Bock liners for my Harmony unit and custom made me a liner at his shop. It is so durable (over a year no problems).

Wayne is a guy that really cares about helping us. I live in Missouri and have never met him, only through e-mails . If I were you I would talk to Wayne - he saved me so much pain.

I just today ordered a new Limblogic unit and I am getting casted Monday. My harmony HD pump from otto Bock went out 2 weeks ago. Last week my prosthestist called Otto Bock to get me a loaner HD pump for they could send mine in for repair, if possible. Well Otto Bock told him that 10 people were ahead of me - I have to use this leg to get around at work - my suspension sleeve is doing all the work and not that great. Anyway, yesterday my leg guy called Otto Bock again and they told him that I now had 9 people in front of me... Can you believe this.. My leg guy was so mad, not as mad as me. So, can't wait months, so Ohio Willow wood is now and from now on getting my new business. I e-mailed Ohio Willow Wood and they told me that they usually have a loaner pump out within 24 hours if one is needed.

Did I mention that I really dislike Otto Bock.

Please give Wayne a shout. He helped me a great deal. If I lived near him he would be my leg guy.

Thanks.

Wayne's in San Francisco and I'm in Virginia Beach with a leg guy I'm really happy with, but thanks for the suggestion. I hope the new setup works out well for you.

I've had the Harmony system for 3 years now, and this is the best leg I have ever had, and I've had a bunch! Yes, there were some issues at first, but OttoBock fixed the problems. I have only had a problem with one liner, it tore, but not one problem since then! And let me tell you, the the ProFlex sleeve is the best sleeve I have ever had, my last one lasted a year! They have made great strides in improving this system! I did have to have the pump rebuilt after two years, but they sent a loaner to use until it was finished. It still worked fine, just got noisy. Your prosthetist needs to deal with them. Oh, and Ohio Willowood, now that's bad!

I've had the Harmony system for 3 years now, and this is the best leg I have ever had, and I've had a bunch! Yes, there were some issues at first, but OttoBock fixed the problems. I have only had a problem with one liner, it tore, but not one problem since then! And let me tell you, the the ProFlex sleeve is the best sleeve I have ever had, my last one lasted a year! They have made great strides in improving this system! I did have to have the pump rebuilt after two years, but they sent a loaner to use until it was finished. It still worked fine, just got noisy. Your prosthetist needs to deal with them. Oh, and Ohio Willowood, now that's bad!

I agree with you about Ohio Willowood. The only problem I had with the E-pluse is the in- line filter,I keep cracking them. My legman put a different type of filter on and I have had no problem so far.

This is to anyone that has the OTTO BOCK HARMONEY E-PULSE.

My leg man just replaced the hard plastic filter on myleg with a flexable tube type filter. He said it is the new filter for the E-PULSE. He said too many people were complaining to OTTO BOCK about the hard plastic filter. Has anyone else received the new filter?