Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Drew2

Vacuum Suspension Socket

Does anyone know anything about the vacuum suspension socket by Otto Block called the Harmony e-pulse? The only kind of socket that I ever had is a locking pin system. I am curious about how good the Vacuum Suspension sockets are. Do you ever loose the vacuum seal and have the leg fall off? I read about the Harmony e-pulse on the Otto Block website and it sounds good but I would only consider it if it came with recommendations from real amputees. I never blindly trust a company website. Anyway any info on this product or vacuum suspension sockets in general would be appreciated. The website that I read about the Harmony e-pulse is as follows: http://www.ottobockus.com/PRODUCTS/PATIENT...mony_epulse.asp

:rolleyes::blink:

Hi Drew,

I have the elevated vacuum socket made by Stan Patterson in Orlando, and LOVE it. I'm an AK, and this is by far the most comfortable socket I've ever had. On mine, the inner socket it connected to the outer socket by a pin so there's no way possible for it to ever fall off. It's great, I put it on first thing in the morning and don't take it off till bed time, no sores, no sweat problems, etc...

There are some BK members here also using the same system, hopefully they'll give their input as well.

Good luck on your quest for more info!

The only negative I've ever heard about the Harmony is its weight. You also have to wear fragile custom made liners. The leg won't fall off, but if you lose vacuum, the weight of the leg feels like an anchor. The newer negative pressure (vacuum) systems are lighter in weight, can use a variety of stronger liners and usually don't carry the price tag of the Harmony. The Harmony was the first vacuum system developed.

I've worn Stan's system for the past year. It is a very comfortable system. It's also a simple system. You roll on the liner, pull up the sleeve, vacuum the air out and walk away. I seldom had to pay attention to it at all during the day. Made a snug fit for that very secure feeling. It truly makes the prosthesis feel like it is part of you.

Good luck.

Don't get the e-harmony yet if you have to pay for it, I have heard mixed responses from Bock about this in their testing, which has put me off getting one anyway. I was told not to bother yet, by one of the Bock sales reps, hold fire for a while yet.

I've had the Harmony for a year and a half now, and it's the best leg I've ever had, it stays in place, stays snug all day. I've had some issues, but they have all been resolved. The main thing has been the sleeve, just a pinhole creates a leak, but I've had a sleeve last up to 7 months. I have just started using the ProFlex sleeve, which has more flex in the knee area, and so far, this sleeve has been great. the weight isn't an issue when the vacuum is there, it feels like it's part of you. With old style PTB's, I was always getting sores, hair follicles, some blisters etc, but I rarely if ever have a skin problem anymore. Perspiration was a big problem at first, but no more. The only time it's been an issue is riding the bike, the back at the top of the liner gets an accumulation of sweat back there. The only other problems I've had, were the original foot that was used, a Journey, went through 3 of them, now on the axxion foot, much better. Of course, that had nothing to do with the Harmony. My stump is healthier than it has ever been in over 40 years of being an amputee, I love this Harmony, my leg has never felt better, I highly recommend it!

I've had the Harmony for a year and a half now, and it's the best leg I've ever had, it stays in place, stays snug all day. I've had some issues, but they have all been resolved. The main thing has been the sleeve, just a pinhole creates a leak, but I've had a sleeve last up to 7 months. I have just started using the ProFlex sleeve, which has more flex in the knee area, and so far, this sleeve has been great. the weight isn't an issue when the vacuum is there, it feels like it's part of you. With old style PTB's, I was always getting sores, hair follicles, some blisters etc, but I rarely if ever have a skin problem anymore. Perspiration was a big problem at first, but no more. The only time it's been an issue is riding the bike, the back at the top of the liner gets an accumulation of sweat back there. The only other problems I've had, were the original foot that was used, a Journey, went through 3 of them, now on the axxion foot, much better. Of course, that had nothing to do with the Harmony. My stump is healthier than it has ever been in over 40 years of being an amputee, I love this Harmony, my leg has never felt better, I highly recommend it!

Oh, and by the way, Otto Bock ahs been very helpful with everything about this system.

Okay, since we can't edit here...............I see some comments about the liner. Well, it does get some wear and tear around the brim, but it's if it does get a leak, it's easily repairable with a product called Aquaseal, urethane repair kit, available at scuba dealers, runs around $15, and I've used it a couple of times, and it works great. Also, OttoBock recommends having a spare liner, right now I have about 4, not sure why I got them all, but in my case, the VA covers all the costs. But, if you can, I strongly recommednd having a spare. Feel free to ask me anything about the system, tkgraphic@q.com

I've had the Harmony system for several years now. I started with the original but now have the H2 system.

As Tom said, you don't notice the weight when there is vacuum. The e-Harmony system doesn't look as though it would be anywhere near as heavy.

What the e-Harmony system doesn't seem to have is the shock absorption or the rotation that the other harmony systems.

My only complaint with the Harmony leg in that, as you have a liner and a sleeve over the knee, and having increased vacuum, I can't bend my knee as far as I would like. It does make it a little difficult to ride a bike for example.

I have a passive vacuum socket for my bike riding leg, but I really do notice the lack of shock absorption with this leg.

David

You all reallize that Drew is asking about the Harmony -- E-PULSE unit, it's the newest system from Otto Bock that can mount anywhere on the leg, on the side, on the pylon, in the back. The E-Pulse unit is then hooked to the socket via a couple hoses. Basically this unit will allow someone with a long stump to use an active vac system because it doesn't mount IN-LINE like the original Harmony system and the Limblogic VS system do.

I've had the Harmony system for several years now. I started with the original but now have the H2 system.

As Tom said, you don't notice the weight when there is vacuum. The e-Harmony system doesn't look as though it would be anywhere near as heavy.

What the e-Harmony system doesn't seem to have is the shock absorption or the rotation that the other harmony systems.

My only complaint with the Harmony leg in that, as you have a liner and a sleeve over the knee, and having increased vacuum, I can't bend my knee as far as I would like. It does make it a little difficult to ride a bike for example.

I have a passive vacuum socket for my bike riding leg, but I really do notice the lack of shock absorption with this leg.

David

David,

Try that new ProFlex sleeve, it has pre-flex in the knee, I haven't tried it on the actual bike, but I have used my Harmony leg on a spin bike at the gym, and this sleeve works much better for flex in the knee. When you look at the sleeve, it has a bulge for the knee. I would miss the shock absorption and rotation, that's one thing I like about the Harmony. By the way, I have the HD model, not sure how different that is.

You all reallize that Drew is asking about the Harmony -- E-PULSE unit, it's the newest system from Otto Bock that can mount anywhere on the leg, on the side, on the pylon, in the back. The E-Pulse unit is then hooked to the socket via a couple hoses. Basically this unit will allow someone with a long stump to use an active vac system because it doesn't mount IN-LINE like the original Harmony system and the Limblogic VS system do.

No, I didn't realize that for some reason. I guess it would be good for a rather long stump. I'm sold on this Harmony stuff.

Hello, I am a LAK with a Cleg. I think is time for me to get a new socket.. I have read some very promising post about the Elevated Suspension Socket by P&O in Orlando. Since I would have to travel from Dallas, I am interested in how the process getting fitted works. Just trying to get an ideal of how long will I be looking to have to stay in orlando, if I would have to return several times before I get the final socket?

Hey Tigertatt,

Thanks for the clarification, as I did not see that AT ALL in Drew's original post. Although, I did see where he asked for input on ANY vacuum suspension sockets,which is why I replied.

Hello, I am a LAK with a Cleg. I think is time for me to get a new socket.. I have read some very promising post about the Elevated Suspension Socket by P&O in Orlando. Since I would have to travel from Dallas, I am interested in how the process getting fitted works. Just trying to get an ideal of how long will I be looking to have to stay in orlando, if I would have to return several times before I get the final socket?

I can only speak for myself...the first time I went I stayed a week. Went home on a great leg!

Hi Marcia, I think that's the new leg I am getting. We have a new Prosthetist here & I am soooo excited. Have talked to Karen about him as she knows him....therefore I won't have to go to Florida....Stan has taught him so he can fit them here. Isn't that great. I think I am to see him on Monday. Will give you an update after that. ;) ann

That's great news Ann.

"Neal"

I know you are in the process of getting a new leg made. Are you going to use the same vacuum system on it? I am really excited about this. Can't you tell ;) ann

That's really great, Ann. Hope all goes well. Keep us posted.

That's great news Ann.

"Neal"

I know you are in the process of getting a new leg made. Are you going to use the same vacuum system on it? I am really excited about this. Can't you tell ;) ann

I'm going with the Ossur Seal-in liner this time around as it will allow me to use my current socket for awhile longer. I love the vacuum system, but I do hate the sleeves. I would go back to it if I need it.

Neal, don't they have lighter weight sleeves now? And one that is thinned out in the knee area? I hope so. ;) ann

The trouble with the thinner, lighter weight sleeves is that they aren't durable. I'm fairly hard on my sleeves and found that the Alps Viva sleeve is the only one that would hold up for more than a month. I can get 3-6 months from a Viva if I'm trying. They simply cover too much of the thigh. The new Seal-in liner can eventually be cut down to just above the socket if I want. I suffer enough with the heat. I don't want to add a sleeve if I don't need it.

I'm still trying to find the perfect system. I know nothing will be as good as what I was born with, but I will continue to try the newest technology until I hit on what is the best for me. I like the seal-in so far. The fact that I can use my current socket for awhile longer is a plus considering what the costs are today. The negative pressure system is by far the most comfortable system I've used. I might go back to it, but for now, the seal-in fits my budget and my needs.

Does anyone know anything about the vacuum suspension socket by Otto Block called the Harmony e-pulse? The only kind of socket that I ever had is a locking pin system. I am curious about how good the Vacuum Suspension sockets are. Do you ever loose the vacuum seal and have the leg fall off? I read about the Harmony e-pulse on the Otto Block website and it sounds good but I would only consider it if it came with recommendations from real amputees. I never blindly trust a company website. Anyway any info on this product or vacuum suspension sockets in general would be appreciated. The website that I read about the Harmony e-pulse is as follows: http://www.ottobockus.com/PRODUCTS/PATIENT...mony_epulse.asp

Hi , I am being fitted for the Harmony e-pulse right now The leg is being built right now and I will get the e-pulse unit in August. I have problems with sweating and my legman states this will help a lot. The test socket gets alot of vacuum. Will have the test socket and leg next week for me to walk on for a few weeks.

Hi , I am being fitted for the Harmony e-pulse right now The leg is being built right now and I will get the e-pulse unit in August. I have problems with sweating and my legman states this will help a lot. The test socket gets alot of vacuum. Will have the test socket and leg next week for me to walk on for a few weeks.

I'd like to see how you do with the perspiration with the e-pulse. I do pretty good with the pump, except in the upper part of the liner, in the back, if I ride my bike with the Harmony, it gets really wet back there, funny though, the rest of my stump stays relatively dry. At first, using the liner got a lot more perspiration all over, would be almost a cup in there after a ride, so this is better now.