Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
keano

Anyone slightly bow-legged? Pin socket issues

Is anyone here slightly bow-legged and have issues with pin sockets and feel like there tipping over slightly to the side since the socket/lock can't be pushed out enough to feel normal?

does this make sense?

Can't they put a slide on the bottom of your socket to slide the foot to the outside so that your stance feels more normal to you?

Hi. The pin lock I have now is the type where it has no ridges. It is smooth and locks on somehow so you get no in-between clicks and what not.

With the other lock we were able to mess with it and put a small dime like metal piece in between the lock and that made it go out further. It kind of looked awkward but felt better/stable. So I was just wondering is it just me that has this tipping issue. It isn't drastic. It is a feel thing. Slightly noticeable.

"Keano" would it help to turn the foot alittle to the outside? Now { me } :blink: I walk like a duck...you know feet turned to the outside :lol:

I have it turned out now but still isn't doing it. Kind of don't know what to do.

"Keano" would it help to turn the foot alittle to the outside? Now { me } :blink: I walk like a duck...you know feet turned to the outside :lol:

Hiya Keano,

I have the same problem as you. My socket always haas to be angled quite a long way off centre to compensate for it. But after a few goes at the prosthetists they can generally manage to get it comfortable. Am not totally sure what exactly they do to get it to that stage but it can be pretty tricky I know - I always hear an audible groan when they see me walking in!

F

LOL!! Fiona I know the groan ha! they are like what is it now. But they are really nice ha! Can you ask them next time what they did and what shuttle lock you use?