Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
JohnnyV

ACA NAMES KENDRA CALHOUN PRESIDENT AND CEO

AMPUTEE COALITION OF AMERICA NAMES KENDRA CALHOUN PRESIDENT AND CEO

Knoxville, TN, August 7, 2008 – Kendra Calhoun has been named President and Chief Executive Officer of the Amputee Coalition of America, the leading national educational organization providing information and support to the more than 1.7 million individuals living with limb loss in the United States.

Ms. Calhoun joins the Amputee Coalition from the Samueli Institute, where she served as Chief Operating Officer. The Samueli Institute, based in Alexandria, VA, is a nonprofit scientific research organization that investigates healing processes and their application in promoting health and wellness, preventing illness and treating disease.

Before joining the Institute Ms. Calhoun was a partner with Carmichael Lynch Spong public relations. Prior to that, she was the corporate vice president of marketing, public relations and communications at Allina Health System, Minnesota’s largest health system. Earlier Ms. Calhoun was the executive director of the Minnesota Chiropractic Association. She also worked with the Robert C. Byrd West Virginia University Health Sciences Center.

Ms. Calhoun earned a bachelor’s degree in business administration, a bachelor’s degree in English and a master’s degree in journalism from West Virginia University.

“Kendra Calhoun brings more than 20 years of experience in association management, finance, marketing, operations, human resources and communications to the Amputee Coalition of America,” said David McGill, chairman of the board of the Amputee Coalition. “I am very pleased to announce her appointment as President and CEO of the Amputee Coalition.”

Ms. Calhoun replaces Paddy Rossbach, RN, who is retiring after seven years as the organization’s President and CEO.

“As our President and CEO for the past seven years, and a Board Member for four years before that, including Chairman of the Board for three years, Paddy Rossbach has been instrumental in leading the Amputee Coalition into important partnerships and establishing an array of innovative and valuable programs. We know that in retirement Paddy will continue as a strong supporter of the Amputee Coalition,” said Mr. McGill.

Founded in 1986, the Amputee Coalition of America is a national 501©(3) nonprofit organization headquartered in Knoxville, Tennessee. The mission of the Amputee Coalition is to reach out to people with limb loss and to empower them through education, support and advocacy. Through a cooperative agreement with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Amputee Coalition maintains the National Limb Loss Information Center (NLLIC), the nation’s most comprehensive source of information for people living with limb loss and limb differences. http://www.amputee-coalition.org

Just curious. Is Kendra Calhoun an amputee? Not that makes a difference how well a company runs, but I have to say I did notice at the Conference that there weren't a lot of Amputees who worked for ACA, FWIW. I liked what I knew of Paddy. I will miss her. Having her be an amputee was comforting.

:blink:

I agree with you Susan. A company representing amputees should consist somewhat of amputees. There are no amputees on staff at all now that Paddy has been replaced. The by-laws state that a certain percentage of the Board must be amputees.

When I was in Knoxville for training last November some of the new staff members had never even seen a prosthesis. A friend and I demonstrated ours for them.

It shouldn't be a prerequisite for the job. They only need to be able to run a business and I think they do a remarkable job. I just find it odd that no amputees work for an amputee business.

I agree with you Susan. A company representing amputees should consist somewhat of amputees. There are no amputees on staff at all now that Paddy has been replaced. The by-laws state that a certain percentage of the Board must be amputees.

When I was in Knoxville for training last November some of the new staff members had never even seen a prosthesis. A friend and I demonstrated ours for them.

It shouldn't be a prerequisite for the job. They only need to be able to run a business and I think they do a remarkable job. I just find it odd that no amputees work for an amputee business.

Neal,

How do they get around he by-laws?

They aren't. There are four amputee board members. They have no paid staff who are amputees.