Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Brenda

Talking to kids

I went to my youngest daughters class a few days after I ran the Disney Marathon because she wanted to show and tell my metal. I wouldn't let her take it because I didn't want it to get lost or stolen. Her teacher decided that I should share my story to the whole third grade class so she invited the other 3 teachers to attend. I would guess about 80 kids were in attendance that morning when I talked to them about my leg and being born missing a foot. I brought my first prosthesis that I wore when I was 9 months old and my running leg told them a little bit about my life as an amputee then shared my Disney experience and showed them Mickey. I then allowed them to ask questions and answered them it was a huge success and even had a few kids tell my daughter that she has a cool mom. They all wanted me to eat lunch with them but couldn't do it as I had to go back to work but before I did I took them all outside so they could see me run and some of them even raced me down the track. Pretty neat experience and I hope that I can speak to kids again as I feel educating them on different disablities at at young age helps them so they don't make fun of other kids who have disablilities.

Brenda

Brenda,

I think that it a great thing to do as it will help them be more accepting to people with 'disabilities', also, many of those kids may never get to meet an amputee who allows them to ask the questions they want to ask. It's a good idea to share your experiences with others,

Liz x

Knowledge is power! These kids are going to see an amputee in the future and challenge them to a race :D You haved touched these kids and they will remember, good stuff.

I love the idea that people (kids) can see that amputation can be a GOOD thing. That you just live a normal life, like everyone else, with a few extra steps to do in getting ready in the morning!

Good for you, brenda!

Judy

Hi Brenda, first let me say, "you are a cool mom" B) I think that is great, to allow kids the oppurtunity to realize, that even though some people are different than they are, we still have a heart and feelings just as they do. I also think with kids, once they know it's okay to asks questions etc, they can adjust to it a lot better, than many adults can, just my opinion. ;) However, it takes good people like yourself to help them feel comfortable enough to asks those questions. I think it's just great and keep up the good works.

ttfn, Sheila

Keep Smiling :)

I think that kids are alot more understanding then adults.

The other day my fiance, steve, was getting into the car and a kid was standing watching him, she asked him what was wrong so he told her he had a false leg with this she just said oh right and caried on playing, She wasnt fased atall.

If only all adults could be like that!!

katherine

xx

:lol:

Hi all,

Great story Brenda & very inspirational!

I would love to have the opportunity to speak to kids & show them that there is a life after trauma.

My two girls (5 & 2 years old) won't know me as anything different than the Daddy with 'one soft leg & one hard leg', some of the comments i've had from kids over the years have just put the biggest smile on my face. :D

Maybe one day when i've got some time to spare i'll approach the school where my kids go & ask if i can offer them a similar insight to your own?

Regards,

Ken

:rolleyes: Hello,

When I came home from hospital after a RBK amputation - my kids were great ages 6 and 8 - two boys. They asked lots of questions and I spent a while talking them through what had happened and how the new leg would look. Showed them photos etc. The funny thing was that a friends little boy who was 5 came to see me and immediately ran up to me - hugged me and asked could he see my new short leg!! He wasnt fazed by it and after I checked with his mum - showed him the stump and the scar. He asked would it grow back and when ....each day after he called in to see me and asked if my leg had grown a bit yet!! When I got my new leg I went to the school and this little boy came running up to me saying "Sue, Sue, your growed a new leg" He was so pleased to see my "new leg" that I had grown as he thought. I showed him the leg and he was fascinated. Kids are great - adults take a bit longer. I have a friend who says that my new leg "freaks her out" and she won't look at it - but others are fascinated.

My sons school has been fantastic - the teachers explained to the classes what had happened to Sam and Callum's mum and the kids just accept that their mum has a new leg.

Hope this helps

SUE :rolleyes:

I have to totally agree, about kids being fascinated by it, grown ups freaked out. I think it might be *some* that grown ups can put themselves in your situation. They imagine how *awful* it would be to have a limb amputated. A good friend of mine helped me to see that more clearly when she said, "judy, you have to understand that for most grown ups, the worst thing they can imagine happening to them would be to lose a limb." I never saw it that way, because I had always had a bad limb and have lived my whole live wanting to get rid of it and get one that worked!

I think kids dont think about that. They see that there was a "problem" and then a "solution". They are very logical. If your leg didnt work, or was sick or even got cut off in an accident, then it is logical that you would just get a NEW one! Grown ups think about themselves too much, how it would hurt THEM if they were in a similar situation.

I have four kids, three in school, and we live in a close neighborhood, lots of kids live around us. My 5th grade son has a friend who LOVES my new leg, loved watching the whole process. He couldnt get over to our house quick enough when I got back from the hospital, and kept quizzing me about when I was going to get my first leg. I called his dad about something just last night and as soon as he heard it was me on the phone he said, "so...is it COOL?" (he knew I recently got a newer leg). His parents are sympathetic and understanding, but HE is just fascinated and intriqued. It makes me LIKE to be around him!

I had a neighbor child, a four year old girl, who was very worried about me, when her mom told her I was going in for this kind of surgery. All it took was her mom bringing her over to my house, I greeted them a the door, on my crutches, didnt have my new leg yet, and she could SEE that I was okay, just missing a leg. I challenged her to a race later this summer......just this afternoon I was driving by her house on the way home from the store and she waved a BIG wave, very comfortable with the idea that I AM okay!

Dontcha just love kids?

judy

I was showing my sister my latest leg and my nine month old niece started crying when I was finished.

I was worried that I had scared her and my sister explained that she was more fascinated than scared; and had wanted a longer look at my shiny metal calf.

I have a three year old that I am home with all day and if, during the day, I take off my leg (LBK) to rest or wipe out sweat, he will come in the room, see my leg off, and get mad at me. He will get this frustrated look on his face and go pick up my leg (which is heavy!) and lug it over to me, tell me to put it back on and get going! No sympathy from him! In his little mind, I am missing a part of my leg, there it is over there, go get it and get going!

I have mentioned that one of my friends is an above the knee amputee - has been since her earliest childhood. She has a 6 year old son and the other day she discussed some disability related issue with her husband. The little boy listens really fascinated and then asks why they are discussing this. Mom says "Because I am disabled!" Martin thinks for a while, and then comes up with the solution "Oh, right, you smoke!!"We were laughig tears...

Gizmo