Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
nekkyj

Hello from Toronto

Hi all,

Been trolling through the posts for a few weeks here - what a great community! - and finally decided to join.

I was born with PFFD and a valgus foot, and was treated with a Van Nes rotationplasty when I was 5. For those of you unfamiliar with this procedure, it leaves a successful candidate with a foot rotated at 180 degrees at roughly knee height - allowing for a functional near-BK type amputation (using the rotated ankle as a knee). I've been lucky to have this still fairly controversial procedure work out well for me, and have been pretty hard on my leg through my childhood and youth. Now that I have two young kids of my own, I've been giving more thought to keeping my leg healthy in order to keep up with them :)

About myself: I was born in Toronto (1976) - my parents emigrated from East Africa just months before, and so my family had access to excellent medical care and options. I've since lived in Africa (childhood) and Europe, but have called Toronto home since the late 80s. I run a business that allows some travel opportunity and my kids are just getting old enough (5 and 2.5), so that I can start thinking about all of us travelling together and more often :) They're also old enough that they've really started grilling me on why one of my legs is "squishy" and the other is hard. haha

Have really been enjoying this forum, a sincere thanks to all the participants!

Nekky Jamal

Hi Nekky, I'm a BAK just down the road from you in Oakville. Welcome to the forum.

Hi all,

Been trolling through the posts for a few weeks here - what a great community! - and finally decided to join.

I was born with PFFD and a valgus foot, and was treated with a Van Nes rotationplasty when I was 5. For those of you unfamiliar with this procedure, it leaves a successful candidate with a foot rotated at 180 degrees at roughly knee height - allowing for a functional near-BK type amputation (using the rotated ankle as a knee). I've been lucky to have this still fairly controversial procedure work out well for me, and have been pretty hard on my leg through my childhood and youth. Now that I have two young kids of my own, I've been giving more thought to keeping my leg healthy in order to keep up with them :)

About myself: I was born in Toronto (1976) - my parents emigrated from East Africa just months before, and so my family had access to excellent medical care and options. I've since lived in Africa (childhood) and Europe, but have called Toronto home since the late 80s. I run a business that allows some travel opportunity and my kids are just getting old enough (5 and 2.5), so that I can start thinking about all of us travelling together and more often :) They're also old enough that they've really started grilling me on why one of my legs is "squishy" and the other is hard. haha

Have really been enjoying this forum, a sincere thanks to all the participants!

Nekky Jamal

Hi Nekky

Glad you finally joined us, I'm sure you'll enjoy this website and pick up some good tips, and also give us some in return too!

Take care

:tongue: Hi Nekky, Welcome from one Ontarian to another, my son lives in Toronto and I am there a lot although not recently due to my amputation. There are a lot of nice folks here I am sure you will fing the information and support you are looking for. Joy :laugh:

Welcome "TO" from a BC-er! I'm RAK since 9 yrs old...51 years now. I was born in Brantford and lived for a few years in Toronto in the '80s, out by Centenary (sp?) Hospital. It's nice to "meet" you.

Myffanwy :biggrin:

hi and welcome, Nekky!

'Nekky ~ walk right in, sit right down....this is a great place to talk things over. :wink:ann

Hi Nekky,

Welcome from another Canuk--I live in Saskatoon, Sk--a far piece down the road. It seems Canadians are popping up from everywhere--great!!

Peace, Beth Marie

G'day :smile:

Hi Nekky, welcome to the forum.