Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Mike T

Disability?

I hope this is the right place to post this but I did not see anywhere else.

I was wondering if anyone has received permanent disability from having an below knee amputation?

I am trying to go back to work and I am getting alot of resistance from where I worked (14years) before the amputation.I have been trying to get an answer out of them for about a month now and I keep getting put off.

I am a supervisor and I will do alot of walking which kinda scares me a little but I am pretty sure that I can do what is required. If I cannot then,I don't know what I am going to do because I have been doing this job just about all my life.If I have to look and can't find another job suitable because of my amputation ,is it possible to keep recieving disability.

My problem lies in the fact that if they do offer me my old position and I take it well,then my disability is going to cutoff right then and if I cannot perform my normal duties then I will be out of job also. Kind of a rock and a hard place.

I am just wondering if anyone on here has been placed on permanent disabilty for a below the knee amputation and if there is an source that I could go to in efforts to find out more about the subject ?

Thanks in advance....Mike

p.s.

A little history..

I worked at this place for 14 years,then I had the amputation .I was still going to the wound clinic after 6 months (I am diabetic and had a hard time healing) After 6 months the company terminated my employment and stated it was policy if someone could not return after 6 months to terminate them .I have been out for 10 months now ,my wound has healed and I have been using my prosthetic for about a month now.Still have not mastered it but I can get around pretty good.

Why not ask if you can go back on a voluntary basis for 2 weeks to prove to both parties you are still capable of doing the job? if at the end your fine take the job, if your not shake hands and leave but your still on your disability.

If you can do but with a little difficulty and your walking is mostly outside how about asking if you could part fund a segway to help you?

As a BK with little or no health problems you should be able to do just about anything you want to do. I was scared of failure when I lost my leg. I am a hairstylist as well as a newspaper vendor. Both of these jobs depend on a lot of leg action. I had no idea what I was going to do. I figured it out though. It wasn't always easy in the beginning, but I muddled through. 4.5 years later, I hardly notice that this isn't normal. I have an occasional bad leg day, but mostly don't even think about it.

I'm not sure about disability laws, but I just got my social security statement and I know for sure that I can't live on what they would pay me if I were to go on disability.

You're still new to this. Build your body up slowly. Work on your stamina. Practice with the leg. You'll be just fine.

As far as employment goes, go for it. If they say no, try someplace else. Rely on disability as a last resort. You don't say how old you are, but you must be fairly young if 14 yrs at one job is most of your life.

Good luck

Neal

As a BK with little or no health problems you should be able to do just about anything you want to do. I was scared of failure when I lost my leg. I am a hairstylist as well as a newspaper vendor. Both of these jobs depend on a lot of leg action. I had no idea what I was going to do. I figured it out though. It wasn't always easy in the beginning, but I muddled through. 4.5 years later, I hardly notice that this isn't normal. I have an occasional bad leg day, but mostly don't even think about it.

I'm not sure about disability laws, but I just got my social security statement and I know for sure that I can't live on what they would pay me if I were to go on disability.

You're still new to this. Build your body up slowly. Work on your stamina. Practice with the leg. You'll be just fine.

As far as employment goes, go for it. If they say no, try someplace else. Rely on disability as a last resort. You don't say how old you are, but you must be fairly young if 14 yrs at one job is most of your life.

Good luck

Neal

Actually ,I am 53 ,I meant I had been working at this particular job for 14 years but I have been doing the same thing(machine shop supervisor) since I was 22 and I have been in machining (manufacturing) since I got out of High School. I just really want to be careful because I still have a family to support ,a wife and my son still resides here (currently in Iraq) my daughter is in her last year of high school with aspirations of continuing her education after high school.I would hate to think they were denied something because I made a stupid decision.

I am steadily working on my stamina I do a lot of short walking and wear my leg for about 12 hours a day whether I am going anywhere or not.Right now my biggest problem is sweating ( I live in the Southeast US) and because of that my liner gets wet and slips,At this time I am trying out a AG Liner recommended by one of the form members.Hopefully everything will work out.I just don't want to miss any options I might have and not know about.

Thanks for the opinions and information....Mike

Maybe thee the reall disiabaility iis the ffear of noot beeing able to doing what you dided befoore .

ffear iis the ggreatest ddisiailbility so ya , just do iit and feel awesoome about youur self foor beeatting fearr up .

It sounds strange, but your stump will acclimate somewhat to the hot, humid weather. The first summer on my prosthesis was horrible. I poured a cup of water out of the liner every day. I went for a walk around the neighborhood and had the darn thing almost slip off. Non-talc baby powder was my salvation. I used it every morning when donning the leg. It kept everything dryer and healthier. My wife nearly killed me because of all the powder dust I created in the bedroom. I still sweat, but nowhere near what I did that first summer. During extreme activity I will still have to stop at certain points to dry things off.

Though they can't use it as a reason to not hire you, I think age vs leg will keep you from finding another job. If you have long pants on and walk fairly well, noone will even know about the leg. You have a definite skill and will be able to use that. I've been faced with the same dilemna. I'm 51 with a college degree that I've never used. I've been self-employed my whole life. When looking for another job to get off my leg some, the only people interested in me are insurance companies wanting me to sell life or disability insurance on straight commission. I would rather do what I'm doing instead of beating the pavement looking for sales.

Keep positive and good luck.

Neal

It sounds strange, but your stump will acclimate somewhat to the hot, humid weather. The first summer on my prosthesis was horrible. I poured a cup of water out of the liner every day. I went for a walk around the neighborhood and had the darn thing almost slip off. Non-talc baby powder was my salvation. I used it every morning when donning the leg. It kept everything dryer and healthier. My wife nearly killed me because of all the powder dust I created in the bedroom. I still sweat, but nowhere near what I did that first summer. During extreme activity I will still have to stop at certain points to dry things off.

Though they can't use it as a reason to not hire you, I think age vs leg will keep you from finding another job. If you have long pants on and walk fairly well, noone will even know about the leg. You have a definite skill and will be able to use that. I've been faced with the same dilemna. I'm 51 with a college degree that I've never used. I've been self-employed my whole life. When looking for another job to get off my leg some, the only people interested in me are insurance companies wanting me to sell life or disability insurance on straight commission. I would rather do what I'm doing instead of beating the pavement looking for sales.

Keep positive and good luck.

Neal

It's funny that you mentioned that .I have also recieved dozens of offers from insurance companies to come work for them.Just don't think it is something I could do.

GOOD NEWS !!!!

The company I had been working for is rehiring me...YEAH!!!

I will start back to work on the 15th of September and I can say that is a LOAD off of my mind...

Also,Someone on this forum recommended using Drysol for my leg sweating problem and I can tell you that stuff did the trick.I started using it last week and today ,I worked outside all day (only 88 degrees today )and it was real sunny.Did lots of manual yard labor and it just did make the leg somewhat moist .Normally ,I would have poured a cup of water out after about 2 hours.So yes,it does work for me!

I had my doctor write me a prescription for it last week.

I wanna thank everyone on this forum for all the answers,opinions and help.I am glad I found this place.It is nice to be able to communicate with people that are all so familiar with the same type of problems that I have encountered.

:biggrin: Cheers to All!!! :biggrin:

Mike

Hurray for Mike!!!

I'm so glad that your employer made that decision. It's up to you now. You know you can do it and I have confidence that you can also.

I'm also glad that you've gained on the sweating problem. I've been a little damp the last few days when I take the liner off. Our humidity has been off the chart the past week. Thankfully the temps are cooling down.