Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SAStrainer

Limb Swelling

Hi,

I'm after help and suggestions.

25 years with an artificial leg and I've been so lucky. Only minor problems and glitches, that we all get in everyday life of living with an artificial leg.

I'm a LAK, and 6 weeks ago my stump started to swell up. Now we are talking millimetres, but enough to stop my limb fitting. The swelling would then nearly go down and the limb would nearly fit again. It would fit in the omrning and then by lunch, if I took it off, it wouldn't go back on. Never has this ever happenend before.

I have put some weight on, but the leg was fitted for when I was far, far heavier.

I'm losing my mind with this, as I've been brought to a stand still. I'm on crutches every other day and so frustrated.

Doctors have had me on anti biotics and diuretics, but so far no use. I've been back to the limb centre and they are going to make me a bigger leg. To me this is a solution and not dealing with the cause.

I'm fit and active, or at least I was.

Has anyone had this problem coming out of the blue at them or am I just having one of those moments and I'm just whinging. I feel such a fraud, as I know lots of people go through so many problems with their legs, and I have been relatively, so lucky.

Thanks to anyone who has any suggestions.

Steve

Hi,

I'm after help and suggestions.

25 years with an artificial leg and I've been so lucky. Only minor problems and glitches, that we all get in everyday life of living with an artificial leg.

I'm a LAK, and 6 weeks ago my stump started to swell up. Now we are talking millimetres, but enough to stop my limb fitting. The swelling would then nearly go down and the limb would nearly fit again. It would fit in the omrning and then by lunch, if I took it off, it wouldn't go back on. Never has this ever happenend before.

I have put some weight on, but the leg was fitted for when I was far, far heavier.

I'm losing my mind with this, as I've been brought to a stand still. I'm on crutches every other day and so frustrated.

Doctors have had me on anti biotics and diuretics, but so far no use. I've been back to the limb centre and they are going to make me a bigger leg. To me this is a solution and not dealing with the cause.

I'm fit and active, or at least I was.

Has anyone had this problem coming out of the blue at them or am I just having one of those moments and I'm just whinging. I feel such a fraud, as I know lots of people go through so many problems with their legs, and I have been relatively, so lucky.

Thanks to anyone who has any suggestions.

Steve

Hi Steve

I have heard of this happening before. An elderly chap in my locality had a similar thing happening, this chap though was about 70 and had been wearing his a/k limb since being a child. I do remember this chap visiting a rehab consultant and having a different leg made, I really am not sure what caused the problem, but whatever it was he did get back to wearing the limb again. This was some years back and memory is a bit hazy.

I myself am below knee and have experienced some unexplained swelling in the past I think mine was related to the fitting of the limb though, have had it too tight in the middle, also had the end bit too roomy and both of these will make my legs swell.

Know how you are feeling though, to go from years successfully walking on the limbs to not being able to is quite a shock to the system, I know it was to me. Hope you get it sorted out soon, keep on at them until you do.

Triamcinol Acetonide Cream

During my recovery my wound would heal up a little and then get bigger.Come to find out that my leg was swelling up at night and re-opening my wound and it just would not allow it to heal up.Once I started using the above cream the swelling stopped and my wound healed up .Not exactly sure what is in the cream but I believe it is some kind of steroid.All I know for sure is that it worked for me.

Hope this helps...

Mike

Hi all,

Thanks for the help.

Well with the help of diuretics, anti biotics, lots of water and a week on a detox diet I seem to be getting back to 'normal'.....he writes touching wood.

It has taken 5 weeks and I haven't walked any distance yet or been back down the gym, but it seems to be on the mend and I might even make it back to work on Monday, after 3 weeks sat on my backside! I'm so going to miss daytime TV.

Thanks again.

Steve

I was going to say weather related ..... but then saw where you live so it wont be heat this summer! waterlogged perhaps?

Hi Caveman,

Definately water logged today!

Hi all,

just need to get a few expletives out @@**, $%^<*%^, "£$@!!!!!!!!

That is better.

Leg back to how it was. Four days of no problems, probably done too much and it is as bad today as it was a week ago!

Oh well, back tot he drawing board and off to the Limb Centre in Exeter for them to work some miracles.

And its raining, but I'm smiling! Honestly.....

Steve