Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
cherylm

Frustrating Days

I'm sitting here feeling sorry for myself, gang. I'm having back spasms, hip pains, a phantom big toe that feels like it's getting electrocuted every five seconds, and I'm walking so badly that it's not even funny.

The reason for all of this? My insurance company has been dragging its feet about OKing the new socket my doctor orodered for me as of last JUNE. They did not believe that I had shrunk as much as my CPO claimed, and they've had me re-measured several times. The only thing THAT'S proved is that I can get even smaller, so they recently FINALLY issued their authorization, a liner and supplies were ordered, and my casting was set for this morning. Unfortunatelyl, just after I set off for the appointment, my CPO's office called me to say that they needed to reschedule me as my CPO was out of the office.

Normally, a delay wouldn't bother me now that all the ducks are in a row... but I'm in so much pain at this point that even another day or two's delay seems intolerable.

They're going to try to work me into their schedule tomorrow... they've about given up on doing anything more to try and make this current leg fit any better.

I hope we can finish this SOON... I know my problems are being caused by an ill-fitting socket, and I know I'll be fine within a week or two when the new socket is ready to go... but right now, I'm a pretty sad little camper!

Thanks for letting me "unload," gang!

'cherylm' I know the feeling...believe me...been am amputee for 7 years & have just found someone who knows how to fit a prosthesis. I am so happy {if I could twirl} on my toes, :happy: I would. I hope you will be able to find something to take your mind off this until tomorrow...then everything will be better. Are you still going to try the PerfectStride? Neal is trying it out isn't he?

They have just put me in a suction socket & are going the Stan Patterson route...the other prosthetist kept me in the pin all this time. Never tried the suction therefore I have a small neuroma{sp} :sad: Guess it was caused due to the fact I never had a good fit. Shandon hopes we caught it in time.

:wink: ann

Hi Cheryl,

You have every right to complain--it sounds like you are really miserable. I hope the appoint with the CPO will be very soon. I found a squeaky will does get grease. I wish I could be there to distract you a little bit. Know you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Beth Marie

I think most of us know what you're going through Cheryl. I've had to wait because of insurance many times. Those idiots don't realize that our limb can shrink to the bone. Mine is now about the size of my forearm just below the elbow. I get so tired of insurance and their resistance to pay for needed parts and supplies. They don't even realize how much more costly it could get if we get skin breakdown and infections requiring hospitalization. Idiots, idiots, idiots.

Feel free to unload any time.

Feel free to unload Cheryl, you know that's why we are here...

I understand that it is their jobs to control costs, and verify things, but Lordy!!!! At some point, surely have to realize that these limbs aren't going to grow back..

Hubby's insurance provider chose United Healtcare to "handle" our insurance and for a while everything was down hill... UHC handles many different insurances and does the billing payments for many others.. What a mess it was for a while.. People handling our insurance that knew nothing about our policies.... Finally with enough people complaining and threatening to go to the insurance commission, they gave us our own reps when we call, our own number to call, with expedited handling.. I still have to go through all of the other verifications, (i.e. pre-approval, verifications, etc) but it sure is a lot better...

Hope it gets straightened out soon...

Thanks, everyone... as we've all said, just being able to "talk" with someone who understands can make a big difference!

You guys are the best!

feeling for you , have a hug.

Cherylm -you do deserve a big hug right now. Even though I haven't gone through this as long as most of you have, I am just getting a taste of the patience and perseverance that all of this takes. I also am ready probably for new sockets or the leg guy wants me to think about trying the vacuum system. Being bilateral, we're talking about alot of money even with good insurance, and I don't think he has ever fitted anyone with a vacuum system, especially a bilateral! do I trust this guy???? going to have to talk to Higgy to see where she goes...we'll see...I'll probably be on here soon asking for advise from everyone on this subject :) I am so sorry you have had to go through this pain and frustration, it's all so stupid. Hang in there. You are always here for others and I can tell that everyone is here for you. Keep us posted and take care!

Thanks, Caveman and flip... I appreciate the thoughts!

I was finally casted late yesterday, and they should have my check socket ready to try next week... hooray! In the meantime, I'm hobbling about in my old socket and sixteen plies of stump sox. I'm stiff and sore, but I'll survive!

Hi Cherylm, Sorry to hear you still have to cope with things as they are for a while longer. Try not to let it get you down too much, many of us on here will have been in the same situation in the past so we know what you are going through. All I can do for you is say a prayer and I have just done that. Thank you for all your posts, you are a good person and you don't deserve this. Regards.

Hi Cheryl,

I feel sorry for you and wish I could take your pain out of you. Basically, I haven't been in pain (except for some minor tingling in my stump) at all since my amputation in Jan. May be I deserved in a way to be in pain as I am free of it most of the time. Don't want to be selfish that's why I've got an idea- just send me you pain over. Could be by email or post. :smile:

Hope it helps to relief you pain , hang in !

Cheryl,

My computer has been down and I just read your post. I know how frustrating that is. The last time I got a new socket I went from a 3 ply to 22 + ply. Your disappoint in having to wait must have been overwhelming. When everything is working fine you don't think about what it is like when it isn't. Feel free to sulk, vent or whatever - whenever.

JudyH

Cherylm -you do deserve a big hug right now. Even though I haven't gone through this as long as most of you have, I am just getting a taste of the patience and perseverance that all of this takes. I also am ready probably for new sockets or the leg guy wants me to think about trying the vacuum system. Being bilateral, we're talking about alot of money even with good insurance, and I don't think he has ever fitted anyone with a vacuum system, especially a bilateral! do I trust this guy???? going to have to talk to Higgy to see where she goes...we'll see...I'll probably be on here soon asking for advise from everyone on this subject :) I am so sorry you have had to go through this pain and frustration, it's all so stupid. Hang in there. You are always here for others and I can tell that everyone is here for you. Keep us posted and take care!

Hi Cheryl

I am in a similar position to you at the moment, wearing loads of socks and both limbs not fitting me. However, am waiting for my op on one side, so will have to live with that side until after the op. I have had a new one made on the other side ...... and it aint right so am back today to see what they can do with it.

Anyway good luck, you should soon be back to normal again.

Hi Cheryl,

So sorry you are having so many problems. It stinks, and insurance certainly stinks sometimes!

Hope you get fixed up soon!

Hugs,

Susan

Thanks again, everyone! My check socket should be ready this week, and I've got a meds routine going that's helping some with the pain. Still, I'll be glad when this is over and done with!