Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Stagger Lee

Flying

Just to share the good news, I recently managed to get the Federal Aviation Administration to grant me a Statement of Demonstrated Ability (SODA) which allows me to once again fly small aircraft. I had to show them that I could do anything that I might possibly have to do. Ironically, the only problem I had was with my prosthetic not being able to depress the top of the rudder pedal sufficiently to activate the brake. This is only an issue when making tight turns in that direction when on the ground, but it took a fair while to figure out the exact seat and pedal position that allows me to do this. It's not comfortable and I have to move the seat back to actually FLY, but so long as I remember to put the seat in this position before taxiing, I'm golden.

I will say that the FAA examiner who came out to see me was one of the toughest and hardest-to-please check pilots that I ever flew with, but I got past her and I'm now able to fly planes again for the first time in two years.

My flying stories (with pics)

Life is good, and nothing's out of reach if you want it bad enough.

Any other pilots or prospective pilots trying to get certified, feel free to contact me if I can help.

Well thank you, Neal. He's still a character. :tongue:

I have posted flying bits too.

Well done on getting your licence back.

I fly GA in the UK and instruct at weekends on a full commercial +IMC. I am RAK; same ground issues.

On the ground struggle with Cessnas, working on technique for the Robin, all pipers OK , Tigermoth, Bulldog, DHC1 ,and Diamond star OK. Looking at saving for a Harvard session, will never have enough for a Spit or a Mustang..... perhaps one day !! (50 at the end of the month).

What leg do you use? Any mods? I am experimenting with knee locks and foot angulation

I fly GA in the UK and instruct at weekends on a full commercial +IMC. I am RAK; same ground issues.

On the ground struggle with Cessnas, working on technique for the Robin, all pipers OK , Tigermoth, Bulldog, DHC1 ,and Diamond star OK. Looking at saving for a Harvard session, will never have enough for a Spit or a Mustang..... perhaps one day !! (50 at the end of the month).

What leg do you use? Any mods? I am experimenting with knee locks and foot angulation

Basic unmodified flexfoot here...and left BKA. Also same lament as to Mustang and other aircraft. Actually I was part of a group buy on a really cheap A-26 Invader a few years ago, but the plane was so badly misrepresented by the seller that we rescinded the deal. Let me know how that Harvard works out...that's sweet.

What I found works on the Cessna brake is to put the seat almost as far forward as possible and crank it up as high as possible. That gives me the right angle to work the brake. I just have to remember to do it BEFORE trying to make any sort of sharp left turns.

Thanks Stagger - been away from the forum a while.

I have found that on the whole I get on better with straighter leg than up close. Will do a dual flight with freind and have another go at the cessna. Would make me much more useful as a club instructer to be able to teach on the whole fleet.

Birthday today - wife bought me time on the Tiger Moth so hope to be able instruct on that too in due course. NO TOE BRAKE!!!!!

Basic unmodified flexfoot here...and left BKA. Also same lament as to Mustang and other aircraft. Actually I was part of a group buy on a really cheap A-26 Invader a few years ago, but the plane was so badly misrepresented by the seller that we rescinded the deal. Let me know how that Harvard works out...that's sweet.

What I found works on the Cessna brake is to put the seat almost as far forward as possible and crank it up as high as possible. That gives me the right angle to work the brake. I just have to remember to do it BEFORE trying to make any sort of sharp left turns.

dont forget to make sure foot is on rudder as part of pre-landing checks!