Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
SAStrainer

Where in the UK?

Hi all,

This site is fantastic and I do love it and it is great as a reference point, and to offload and to just find a friend who can offer advice as they know what you are going through.

I just wondered about narrowing it down slightly. I'm in two minds about this, as it might be too insular, but I just wondered where everyone in the Uk lived? Which limb centres they used? How effective things were in the UK for limb users and I can probably go on. We may have done this previously anyway!

I love the world contact as well, but I wonder if it does make any difference when you are in another country!!??

Steve

PS, as you can see I'm in Taunton, Somerset......South West England on a very wet and miserable day. Orginally from Burnley, Lancs. LAK for 27 years and still only 44!!!

Hi Steve, new to the forum and enjoying reading thtough it. Geographically speaking I'm the opposite to you: originally from Cornwalll, South Western England, now living in Blackburn, Lancs. in the North West!

Regards, Richard.

Hi Rich,

Good to hear from you, but why did you ever move to Blackburn! Dear me........but I am a Burnley FC fan.

Steve

Hi Rich,

Good to hear from you, but why did you ever move to Blackburn! Dear me........but I am a Burnley FC fan.

Steve

I fell in love with a beautiful woman...

Funny that is what I did with a Somerset lady!

I've never lived in the UK, but I've always enjoyed watching Dr. Who, Torchwood, and before it was taken off the air, Benny Hill. Big James Bond fan, too.

Does that count for anything? :tongue:

Hi, I'm in Hertfordshire so somewhere in the middle but south eastish. I have been a LBK for 32 years and also still only 44!!

Hi Sue,

Good to hear from you in middle, south eastish Hertfodshire.

Another wet day over here in Somerset and I'm thinking of growing flippers.

Got a trip to Exter this afternoon to try and sort out my leg, which is soon to be despatched through the nearest open window if it doesn't start behaving itself!

Steve

Hi All

I live in Northwich, Cheshire, about 20 miles from Manchester, Chester and Liverpool, so pretty central really for all the main north west cities. I go to the DSC at Withington, Manchester. I have been a RBK for 4 years in October, wow, time flies!! They are pretty helpful there, I am after a swim leg at the moment,, waiting to hear if I can have one.

I really miss going into the sea when on holiday and we are going to the caribbean next April, I will be sick as a parrot if I can't go for at least a paddle, lol. :biggrin:

I have a swim leg (not that I use it for serious swimming) and for the beach and other times you want to be in water but not swimming they are brilliant. Hope you get one, you'll love it.

Hi Sue and Pam and to a Honorary Stagger,

I know Withington well Pam. It is a great place to live up there.

I've never gone for a swim leg, I have thought about it though. I just go with my normal leg and take it off to go in the swimming baths and leave my leg leaning against a wall. It becomes a talking point for people walking past and draping my towel over it, tends to keep it dry from splashes. I love swimming, but don't get there enough.

Stagger the Sci Fi and Brit Comedy fan can now have honorary Brit status!

Steve

Stagger the Sci Fi and Brit Comedy fan can now have honorary Brit status!

Yay!

So does that mean that I must now talk funny and drive on the wrong side of the road? :laugh:

But I can't give up my guns...not even my Enfields. I do get bonus points for owning and shooting Enfields, right? You don't get much more British than that. :cool:

Hi Stagger,

Not sure on the enfields, but is it not you who has the funny accent and drive on the wrong side! :tongue:

Hey up Im in Cheshire , How you doing Pam, and steve how things steve with you im still up at The Hospital alot lol

Hiya,

I'm in Sunny Surrey, South East at the bottom of the country! I can say that at the moment as the yellow thing in the sky has been shining for the last 4 days ... yee haa ... summer at last.

I've never had a swim leg but it would have come in handy throughout our long wet summer! I really want to get swimming again and it appears I will be able to very soon, becasue of the osseo and the 'open wound' can't really sumerge it in water so they are going to give me an iceross liner to use, can't help thinking it's going to be like putting on a large condom...oh a girl can but hope, we have to get our fun somewhere!! :unsure:

I'm 44 as well and been an AKA for 21 and a half years.

You go away for a few weeks and come back to a whole set of new names. I'll just say hi and welcome to you all. Stagger, Dr Who and Benny Hill fan just about makes you a Brit. As for driving on the wrong side of the road, I just use the side that has the least traffic. :rolleyes:

Benny Hill

He's Scummer Mark lol..... Benny Hill ended up as popular if not more popular in the States than he was here I think.... too much bare flesh and sexism for us... shame really

He's Scummer Mark lol.....

Explains alot.

He's Scummer Mark lol....

What's that mean in English? (Or "American", if you will?) :huh:

I am from the Wigan area and I attend Withington Hospital too. I hadn't heard of a Scummer either :unsure:

Paul, you need to read this, being a Pompey boy I have heard several versions, however they are all basically the same.