Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fiona Call

Andes to Amazon

Hi All,

Not sure if this is going to work but I'll give it a try anyway. Tomorrow I am off to Peru to cycle 350Km from Cusco to the Amazon Basin over the Andes. Whilst the overriding direction is down, there will be quite a lot of up as well, and it will all be done at altitudes going up to 4,300m at the highest point. I am doing it to raise money for The Cambodia Trust which has schools in Cambodia, Sri Lanka and East Timor and trains prosthetists and orthotists from conflict zones all over the world.

Hong Kong's main English language newspaper, the South China Morning Post published an article about my ride last week. Hopefully I have managed successfully to attach it to this post.

Any sponsorship would be most appreciated, both by me and by The Cambodia Trust.

Best wishes,

Fiona

20080903100142.pdf

Good luck on your ride, Fiona. I'm curious, what kind of leg set up have you got?

Hi All,

Not sure if this is going to work but I'll give it a try anyway. Tomorrow I am off to Peru to cycle 350Km from Cusco to the Amazon Basin over the Andes. Whilst the overriding direction is down, there will be quite a lot of up as well, and it will all be done at altitudes going up to 4,300m at the highest point. I am doing it to raise money for The Cambodia Trust which has schools in Cambodia, Sri Lanka and East Timor and trains prosthetists and orthotists from conflict zones all over the world.

Hong Kong's main English language newspaper, the South China Morning Post published an article about my ride last week. Hopefully I have managed successfully to attach it to this post.

Any sponsorship would be most appreciated, both by me and by The Cambodia Trust.

Best wishes,

Fiona

Good on you Fiona - a great cause and cool article too! Make sure you report on your experiences when you get back! Sx

Good luck, indeed, Fiona!

Thank you for the good wishes. Have justgot back to the office today. It was the best trip I have ever had. The Andes are beautiful and it was totally amazing cycling up into the clouds and then down into the jungle. The cycling was v difficult though - esp the going down. I have never done proper mountain biking before but that was basically what it was. By the end of it we were all dreaming about smooth tarmac roads!

I have managed to raise about 7.5K for the Cambodia Trust this time too which I am pretty chuffed about. We have all decided to do another one in two years time - from Hanoi to Saigon I think - so I will look forward to that.

V guttingly I managed to lose my camera on the last day though, which means that I don't have any pictures to post. A couple of people from the ride said that they would send me theirs, and so when I get them I will try to post a few on here.

F

'Fi' not to change the subject, but didn't I hear you say when you stopped your bike, not to step down w/ your prosthetic foot first? My question is: why not. Glad things went well & you had a good time. :smile: ann

Ann,

In order to cycle properly with a prosthetic foot I need to make sure it won't fall off the pedal. I therefore use a toe clip on my prosthetic foot. It is too difficult to get the foot out of the toe clip when stopping for me to bother doing it so I always just put my good foot down to stop. Also, if your seat is at the correct height, when stopping it is necessary to do so on pointed toes. Obviously that's not going to happen with a prosthetic foot, and so for me it's necessary to put my good foot down first.

Hope that makes sense.

Fi