Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Wondercat

Blisters from silicone liner

Guess what? It's me AGAIN! I feel like I'm always asking questions but your advice on this one would be really appreciated. I wear a silicone liner with a pin that clicks in my socket. I have just got a new limb and with it a new liner. Problem is that the new liner is very snug and it grips my thigh quite firmly. At the weekend (a couple of days after getting the new liner) I wore it all day and evening, from around 8am until 1am, and the following morning I found I had raised, what can only be described as welts around my thigh where the top of the liner was. These had blistered and are now all weepy-looking (lovely image I know...). I also noticed that I have a blister on my lower leg along the shin bone area. Problem is that I wear my liner and leg all day, both at work, and also at home as I am alone and can't handle getting around the house on crutches. I have used liners before, so it seems weird to have developed an allergy and I thought that these liners were formulated to prevent allergic reactions anyway. I wanted to find out if anyone else had had similar and what you've done to combat the problem. Are there alternatives available? Is it something common that the skin gets used to? It's making me feel worried and down in the dumps, particularly as it's a new problem I hadn't anticipated...

Thanks everyone for any advice.

Hi Wondercat,

I wear a silcone cover and wear it all day, every day. I do occasionally get blisters around the top, very dry skin as well. I find the odd plaster seems to get rid of them.

I know you are supposed to clean them every night, but I do get a bit lazy with the old wet wipes!

They don't cause me a major problem, a little sore and like all these things very frustrating.

I think that when it has had some extra long and heavy usage, say having walked a few miles, that is when they are most prone. I think it is probably a mixture of heat and friction. I find that they soon go. I would suggest just keeping an eye on them so that they don't go any worse. I often find they dry out over night and I try and take it easy the next day.

Hope this helps, a little!

Steve

I've worn Ossur liners since I became an amputee..

When my liners are new, and freshly trimmed, I'll get a red rashy reaction to them, especially if I dont' give them a good washing when I first get them before using them.. I can get a small blistery looking bump if I scratch too much.. Once I've worn the liner for a day or two, with a spot of A&D ointment in that area, they go away..

The last new liner I got from Ossur was the Synergy liner and I didn't react to it like that.. Not even with the fresh trimmed edge...

I have also use Benedryl gel lotion on my leg where it is all red to help with the rash and irritation.. That helps dry it up as well....

Thanks both of you. Thinking about it, I didn't rinse this one out as many times because my leg fitting was so rushed and then I went away for the weekend. It's all looking a bit better today, so hopefully it's starting to go away. Cheers for your advice!

Yes, you do need to wash and rinse your liners but, because it's just at the top of your liner, it sounds like you're probably getting some skin shearing stress because your liner is on the snug side. I've had the same problem (my AK occasionally gets the problem and not my BK, for some reason :wacko: ), in the past, and I used Alps Prosthetic Skin Lotion. You need to check that you can use the lotion with your make of liner; you should be able to, but it's wise to check. And, one word of warning, just use a tiny bit, as a little goes a very long way! :ph34r:

Btw, if it was an allergic reaction the rash would be all over your leg and you'd start to feel generally unwell.

Good luck!

Lizzie :smile:

Yes, you do need to wash and rinse your liners but, because it's just at the top of your liner, it sounds like you're probably getting some skin shearing stress because your liner is on the snug side. I've had the same problem (my AK occasionally gets the problem and not my BK, for some reason :wacko: ), in the past, and I used Alps Prosthetic Skin Lotion. You need to check that you can use the lotion with your make of liner; you should be able to, but it's wise to check. And, one word of warning, just use a tiny bit, as a little goes a very long way! :ph34r:

Btw, if it was an allergic reaction the rash would be all over your leg and you'd start to feel generally unwell.

Good luck!

Lizzie :smile:

Thanks for that Lizzie - you're right, a skin reaction would show all over my leg. I'll find out about Alps - do you know where I can buy it if it turns out to be suitable?

In threads long ago, this same subject was talked about.........Myself I suffered through the same condition.

I have found that in time, one's skin gets used to the idea. Also.........when a liner is "new" it is always "smaller" then your last one as the last one stretches with use over time. However..............:

The best thing I found to handle the creation of those little blisters along the liner's edge is to use mineral oil inside the liner for about an inch at the top end. Mineral oil acts as a lubricant between the liner's edge and the skin and is not readily absorbed by the skin.

ED