Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
trwinship

Long John Silver Crutching

OK, on only a slightly facetious note, who can describe to me (in 500 words or much much less) the secret to walking with just one crutch when not wearing a leg prosthesis, a la numerous Robert Newton-esque L.J. Silver wannabes. The crutch goes on the side minus the leg, yes, but when I try to do this I topple over the minute I try to move the crutch---no leg, no crutch on the ground for a moment. Is it all just balence or am I missing something? Works well, apparently, in the movies! And no, not everybody has the requisite peg leg on that side, either. Thanks for the help, me hearties. Arrr!

It must just be a balance thing. The weight has to be balanced entirely on the crutch or your good foot at any given time when trying to move but it can be done easily enough once you get a feel for it. I did it all the time when I had to use crutches, but only until I got used to hopping around on one foot with no crutches, which for me, was even easier and optimum for the short distances I needed to cover in my house.

You'll just have to cautiously experiment with different things to find out what works best for you, and know that a few things might take a bit of getting used to until suddenly they feel right and become second nature to you.

Good luck.

It is a matter of balance and taking it slow ... I would however suggest for you not to do it too often because I was reading a couple of studies about the bad effects it has on your good knee, and thats something you really don't want to mess up. As Lee said though being able to hop without is a good start; will at least mean your able to save yourself a little better if it goes wrong.

bex

Hi,does somebody know how to get around with an arm and leg amputation on the same side?I tried it without success.

Joachim

LAK + LAE

I was really good at the one crutch hop before my amputation (my leg was often in a cast or brace). I thought it would be the same after the amputation....wrong! My balance was all messed up without the weight of my right leg and I had to learn all over. I don't really do it much because it is hard on the back and knee.

I was really good at the one crutch hop before my amputation (my leg was often in a cast or brace). I thought it would be the same after the amputation....wrong! My balance was all messed up without the weight of my right leg and I had to learn all over. I don't really do it much because it is hard on the back and knee.

You are right Tamara,before my revision to AKA I was a LBK and used several times one crutch on my righthand side and could only do some difficult hopping.Now as a LAK ( april 4th,2008) I lost completely my balance and nevermore used one crutch,although I would very much like to do it.I use my pros 15 hours a day and in case of some trouble with the pros or as I had 2 weeks ago with a large blister on my stump,I had to use my wheelchair for some days.The lack of my left arm complicates it very much and would like to use crutches much more,although I am quite well with my pros.I am not complaining my amputations because I feel very well with them,yhe only thing is to get moving around without wheelchair in case of some problem with the pros or the stump.I love to drink a good cup of wine,but even not getting drunk,I have difficulty with my balance.

Joachim

LAK+LAE