Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
dreamygirl

How long do you wear your leg/s

I was wondering, how long you all leave your leg on. Do you wear it on your day off work? Just curious and was thinking about it. :) thanks for sharing your answers

I wear my leg all day, every day... the only time I take it off is for showering, swimming, or when I go to bed at night. It took me a while to be able to feel comfortable wearing it 16+ hours per day, but now it's just a regular part of getting dressed.

Goes on first thing in the morning, comes off at bedtime. After a while, you don't even think twice about it.

I agree. I am a fairly new (1 yr 5 months) bilateral below knee and I put mine on when I get up to go to work and wear it all day until I take a bath or go to bed. Once in a while, I may take them off to give them a rest :) but it's funny how it now feels funny not to have them on. Since I am fairly new at all this, I am still working on getting correct socket fits...trying to decide to stay with the lock and pin system or try a vacuum system, etc. Hope you are doing fine...flip

It's been 51 years of on in the morning and off at night, like the rest here...except of course for swimming, showering and bed. That's why this year when I was on crutches for 2.5 months, I felt like I'd just had my amputation...the psychological aspect of it...just being without my legs. It was depressing! But all's well now, thank God and my CPO Ben! :smile:

On when I rise, off when I bathe or go to bed, like everyone else..

It does take a bit of time to get used to wearing it like that..Doing it right off, when you are just learning how to use it can be tough.. I was told, when I got my first one, to wear it for an hour, off for an hour, then put it back on for another hour, and off again, over the course of the day for the first week. Until having it on, wasn't a problem, or I didn't think about it.

There are times, during the course of the day now, that I will "pop" it off, if I have the chance (which is rare) during the course of the day..Like, if I happen to be setting..I've been known to do it at the office as well.

The only time during the day that I take mine off is when I switch between the main leg and the running leg, or when I want to freak some gullible little kid out by telling him/her how a monster took my leg when I was their age. :tongue:

"There is a monster who lives in your closet (or under your bed) and when I was about your age, I didn't go to sleep fast enough and he got my leg...see?"

Kids love that story. Parents who have to deal with scared kids at night hate it. :laugh:

Ditto to the on in the morning, off in the evening mantra. The big exception is when I'm on a long drive. My knee starts to hurt after a relatively short time and I pop the leg off to get a little relief and it works immediately. I'm lbk.

I put my on in the morning and take it off at night. However, like Higgy I take mine off if I have to sit for a long time--freaked out the guy sitting across from me at a meeting last week. I also take it off on planes, when I am gardening or doing something on the floor and to bath or swim. I got my new socket three days ago and for the first time in five years since the accident I feel like it is my leg--also got a pretty quilting pattern material laminated on. :biggrin:

Peace, Beth Marie

I was wondering, how long you all leave your leg on. Do you wear it on your day off work? Just curious and was thinking about it. :) thanks for sharing your answers

So... what you are all saying, is that I'll be wearing my leg more than my bra....lol shoot. ok ok I guess I will have to get used to it too. I was thinking/assuming that you put it on asap and then off before bed. So far I am doing ok with it. The liner is a lil weird but Im getting used to it also. I am wearing the pin / liner kind of leg.

Yesterday was my first day I wore the leg from 8 am to 7 pm. I wanted to show my sister I could walk. She came over after work. She's a good support system I have, thank goodness. She cried when she saw me walking in this leg for the first time. :)

Today my leg popped right in the thingie so Im not swollen up or anything. I feel good today. It is sunshiney and that always makes me smile :) :) :) :) :biggrin:

Thanks all for responding here. I love to hear how you wore your leg and share a small part of your day. thanks.

I'm with everyone else. I wear my leg 16-18 hours a day. There are times when I would like to give Stumpy a rest, but it's way too confining to use crutches. I still can't carry anything except a lightweight bag with handles while using those darn things.

All the paraphernalia that comes with a prosthesis is a pain in the beginning. You get used to it fairly quickly to where it's as easy as putting on your socks and shoes. It takes me less than a minute to be assembled and walking in the morning.

You still have some rough spots ahead, but listen to your leg. If you have pain, STOP right then and find out why. Continued use beyond that point will result in worse pain later. Ask me how I know. LOL

Good luck,

Neal

Hey Dreamygirl,

Best of luck with your new leg! It is always nice to hear a new amputee is doing well with the first prosthesis. Keep up the good work! I hope all goes well with your new leg.

A big part about being an amputee is dealing with the setbacks from time to time. In June 2007 I had revision surgery. It healed in 2.5 months and things are really good now, but problems may happen again. My prosthesis has broken down and my femur has grown bone spurs. After 28 years as an AKA nothing surprises me. One day I walking in the condo and my foot snapped off of the pylon. Luckily the leg dude was able to fix it the next morning before work. Dealing with leg problems is a given.

I wear Mine all the time. Kinda gettin used to it so it requires no effort. Now I will pull it off if I am gonna be parked in front of the boob tube for awhile.

Like most here, I put my legs on after my daily washing / shaving as I'm more comfortable sitting on the edge of the toilet to wash up, then wear them all day until bedtime, so I wear mine about 16 hours a day. After 34 years, I don't feel comfortable without them.

Only time I ever take mine off during the day is to scare small children and smack the dog.

But that dog...he's quick.

Hi... I also put mine on in the morning and take it off at bedtime. I recently had a revision and it was extremely difficult to go back to wearing it less in the begining again and going thru the process.

all day every day.

Have the benefit of more than one prostheseis that varies the pressure distribution on the stump

Same as everyone else dawn till dusk. I do change legs for dog walking & the golf range! :rolleyes:

Only time I ever take mine off during the day is to scare small children and smack the dog.

But that dog...he's quick.

So are the cats!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

I am wearing the new HARMONEY E-PULSE now. I wear my leg from rising in the morning to going to bed at night. I do have to put on my other leg on when I take a shower because I can not wear the E-PULSE in the shower. It has a permanently attached battery powered vacuum pump attached. I can get it wet some but I can not get it soaked as in a shower. It is supposed to be water proof but my legman said not to wear it in there.

Hi all,

The same for me as for a lot of others. It goes on in the morning and is taken off at bedtime.

Steve

hi, i wear mine all day til i get comfy in front of the telly at night, then i take it off to make more room for the dog on the foot rest

On in the morning and off at night....unless it doesn't feel right. Then I investagate :rolleyes: .

Hi... I also put mine on in the morning and take it off at bedtime. I recently had a revision and it was extremely difficult to go back to wearing it less in the begining again and going thru the process.

Hi Jen

Interested to read you saying that as I have just had a revision too, I am now about two weeks post op and out of hospital. Wondering how long it took you to get back walking and what type of surgery did you have? I have also had some reconstructive surgery on the end of the stump so envisage this is probably going to take a bit more time than would usually take, at the moment I am not allowed to do any physio or even bend the knee, have to go back and see the surgeon next week, so am being patient.