Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Stagger Lee

Running

Today I finally went and did something that I've been wanting to do for a while.

I went downtown Washington, DC and ran on the National Mall and around some of the monuments.

Not a long run--just under 4 miles, but it was the first time that I really went out in public with my running leg. The Mall was packed because the weather was so nice. And that meant lots of slow, not-paying-attention two-footed obstacle-people always getting in the way.

And cars. Lots of cars. As a former foot cop, I sometimes still forget that I can't just walk (or jog) out in front of them any more and expect them to stop. (Dammit!)

But it felt good to get out and really run someplace nice and not have any issue at all with all the people seeing my somewhat-less-than-stylish running foot.

I posted a few pictures here if anyone's interested in a few Capitol-area shots.

http://lagniappeslair.blogspot.com/2008/09...wed-around.html

That is great Stagger!!!!!!!! I was never a recreational runner, but learning to run was a highlight since my amputation. It wasn't a pretty sight, but I ran.

I never cared much for running back when I had two feet, other than that which I had to do to catch those damned kids who like to jump out of stolen cars or throw drugs down and run away. And I'm proud to say that I caught every one who wasn't able to get away by ducking into an apartment building because some other neighborhood scumbag popped the door open as they do in those neighborhoods just to help anyone running from the police.

But I can honestly say that my running's getting better now than it used to be back then.

I just set a new distance record for me today: 7.4 miles in 1 hour, 24 minutes.

I'm not quite as fast as I was--yet--but I've got the old me beat for distance and endurance, and that's what eventually wins the day.

Every day it gets a little easier. Never give up.