Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Stagger Lee

OK, I'm doing it.

Time to commit and let everyone in on it...

This coming Sunday, I'm going down to Washington DC to run the Army 10- miler race.

It'll be my first such race and my longest run to date. (I just broke 9 miles today...badly)

Two years ago, I told my doctors, family, co-workers, and anyone else that I'd be running this race. Of course then I was referring to last year's race--a year after losing my foot. (That might have been a bit premature and wishful thinking...)

Anyway, as it got closer this year, I thought about it, and a couple weeks ago, decided to give it a whack, since I've been running anyway.

I just ramped up my training and I'm to the point where I believe that I can do it. I've already contacted a registered runner who plans to drop out and I'll run in his place. (Registration was in April and transfers stopped in August.)

My prosthetist is going to be bugged, because the tread on my running foot is critical thin already from the stepped-up training, and this run will burn the rest of the way through it, but there isn't time to get it re-soled before the race so I'll just apologize like hell on Monday when I bring it in for repair.

Wish me luck, all.

Best of luck, Stagger. Hope you make all 10 miles.

well best of luck to you. i'm sure you will post how you made all 10 miles even with a "blowout" when you go into your prosthetist ask him or her to install you some "runflat" like goodyear. lol

best of luck to you

joe

Good luck Stagger. I hope you don't go all the way through the tread. That carbon fiber is slick and you will end up with no traction. I wouldn't want the one-legged guy to end up face or butt flat on the ground. Be careful. I'll be thinking of you while reposing in my recliner. LOL

Thanks everyone.

And Neal, there's a leather buffer between the tread and carbon fiber on mine. I'm sure I'll eat into the leather a bit but can't see it going all the way through.

But the wear's only in one spot, to the back and on the far inside. Much of the rest of the tread's still 90%+ It just burns through in that one area.

Best of luck to you, Stagger Lee!

Go get 'em Stagger! Make sure you let us know how you do.....You should be so proud of yourself...keep running! Good luck!

Flip -

Good Luck - hope there isn't too much damage to the foot afterwards.

Sue

OK, I'm back.

And successful.

Final time: 1hr, 47 minutes, forty four seconds. That's under eleven minutes a mile on average.

Full write-up here.

http://lagniappeslair.blogspot.com/2008/10...-ten-miler.html

It's too big to cut-paste and I'm still too tired to summarize.

But it was GREAT!

And there were plenty of other amputees running too...mostly all younger and faster.

Thanks for the support...and the longer race stride didn't even totally erode the foot tread like I'd expected. It's still shot, but no damage to the under-lining or carbon.

Wow Congratulation Stagger i could never run that far before my amputation let alone now! nice write up on it, its a good read.

Well Done.

In my (much) younger days I once did a 6 mile - Live Aid Run The World, if anyone remembers it - and it almost killed me. In the end I was cajoled round by a friends mother who was in her late seventies and who slowed down to stay with me :blush:

That's great Stagger. I'm glad all went well. I'm sure you have a great feeling of accomplishment and rightfully so.

Hi Stagger,

What an amazing feat!! :biggrin: I am glad for you that you were able to reach the goal you set for yourself.

Peace, Beth Marie

Congratulations, Stagger... that's GREAT!