Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
oneblueleg

Ossur seal in liner

How crap is this?!

If you want a seal in liner from Ossur, your Prosthetist has to take a measurement of your stump 4cm above the distal end and choose the size of liner based upon that measurement. Only then can he/she order it, and try it, if then it's the wrong size, he/she needs to then send it back and ask for a size they think might fit. This means a visit to the centre each time to see if the new size fits.

Why can't they just supply more than one size, then allow the return of any unused liners? Sale or return...? I don't get it. It just annoys the hell out of the Prosthetist and the amputee.

That is crap, especially since my legman is 100 miles away. I had no trouble though when I got mine. They had 1 size 22 in stock and ordered the other.

How crap is this?!

If you want a seal in liner from Ossur, your Prosthetist has to take a measurement of your stump 4cm above the distal end and choose the size of liner based upon that measurement. Only then can he/she order it, and try it, if then it's the wrong size, he/she needs to then send it back and ask for a size they think might fit. This means a visit to the centre each time to see if the new size fits.

Why can't they just supply more than one size, then allow the return of any unused liners? Sale or return...? I don't get it. It just annoys the hell out of the Prosthetist and the amputee.

Because those bad boys cost £500 a go and once one patient wears it, no other patient can, basically.

Yeah, that is crappy. My guy must have gotten it right the first time, because the one he ordered fit me just fine.

I no longer wear that system, but thought I'd chime in anyway! :smile:

How crap is this?!

Because those bad boys cost £500 a go and once one patient wears it, no other patient can, basically.

How crap is this?!

How crap is this?!

OK... let's try again... don't know what happened there!

Have to disagree with you Ali, they do refund/credit for a returned liner if it's the wrong size. They can be sterilized and can be used again if not marked. And it's £397, not quite £500...

Just my two pence worth, I find it pretty hard to believe that in the UK they don’t keep a few seal in liners in various sizes as spares at the limb centres (I know that goods sitting on the self cost money that could be spent somewhere elts) but come on it’s the NHS with a huge budget and its not as if they would sit there for ages.

And as for your comment Ali that once it’s been worn no other patient can, that isn’t strictly true, as when mine tore and became unusable my leg guy gave me one that was already cut down which another patient decided he didn’t like after a couple of days of wearing.

It was a case of wearing that or going without a leg for 10 days or so. In fact I still have that seal as a spare (its not that good as it was cut down far too short for me but is better than nothing)

I also found the same problem when I had broken the ankle joint (I think that is what it’s called) he “nicked “ one off a leg he was rebuilding for someone .

Sorry I’m rambling on again but I think it would make good sense to keep a ready use supply of “goodies” for us rather than having to wait and travelling backwards and forwards to the limb centre each time. But hell what do I know I’m just patient…………………………take care ……………….Mick

Few things:

First, an prosthetist experienced with the seal-in liner should be able to look at your leg and know, based on experience, what size will fit you best, and whether or not you need the straight or conical liner. My prosthetist has fitted around 50 of these and has said he has never had to send one back.

Second, you can return the liners for full credit if they don't show signs of use, so have your prosthetist order a couple sizes if he feel he needs to trial fit you in the office.

Third, the new 5-ring AK Seal-In liner is THE BEST THING I HAVE EVER RECEIVED as far as prosthetics go. It makes my AK socket feel glued-on to my leg. I wore the single seal seal-in liner for several years and, while it was convenient and generally secure, it would have a tendency to pop off slightly when I sat down on hard surface or lifted my leg to get into car etc. The new 5-ring liner is rock solid on the leg. It is absolutely fantastic!

Second, you can return the liners for full credit if they don't show signs of use, so have your prosthetist order a couple sizes if he feel he needs to trial fit you in the office.

I asked about this and he said it wasn't possible :rolleyes:

Third, the new 5-ring AK Seal-In liner is THE BEST THING I HAVE EVER RECEIVED as far as prosthetics go. It makes my AK socket feel glued-on to my leg. I wore the single seal seal-in liner for several years and, while it was convenient and generally secure, it would have a tendency to pop off slightly when I sat down on hard surface or lifted my leg to get into car etc. The new 5-ring liner is rock solid on the leg. It is absolutely fantastic!

I just went for a casting yesterday for a new socket..my pros keeps a good suppply of seal in liners both above knee and below knee in stock..I too was told that you cannot return a liner once ordered..I am AKA and I use the BKA liners because I get a skin reaction from the AKA ones..they are not made with dermogel apparently...anyway I am glad to hear your comment about the 5 ring liners because that is what I was casted in..my pros said that these are probably going to be the only ones made now.. the AKA liners have been available for approx 2 weeks, so he doesn't have those in stock..he said the BKA have been for approx 6 months and he is getting very good feedback about them, but I am the first AKA for him...I was a little concerned about the change but thanks to you I do feel better!! I am 6 months post revision and am having to go thru the whole process again with shrinking etc. I will let you know how I make out with the new 5 ring liner.

The new 5 ring liners should be pretty good. According to Ossur, the theory is that during normal useage the seal is still between the bottom 1or 2 rings. The other 3 rings are only in effect when you are doing an unusal movement where you would normally lose the seal. It is like a fail-safe.

liners didnt do it for me - funny shape I guess.

new socket is another suction jobby fitting today was good.