Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
jules12

suction liner

Hi, I currently use the rachet system with silicon liner, I have also used the smooth pin and string pull system all of which i have found problems with. I have been amputated for 9 years and most of that time has been using rachet. I have now discussed with my leg guy going to change to the ottoblock suction system but am very nervous as i wonder if it will be as secure as the rachet. I would like to know if anyone who was on the rachet and then changed to ottoblock can advise me what their thoughts are. eg do you find the leg spins, feels loose or is it a case of put it on and thats it for the day.

I can't speak for the Otto Bock system specifically, but I will always use a suction system. I've used the pin system and experienced a lot of pain due to the constant pulling on the stump by the pin. The suction systems are very secure. The only problem with a suction system is the sleeve you must wear to form the suction. It tends to bunch behind the knee. I've gotten used to this and feel almost naked now without it. You will notice that most athletes use a sleeve while participating in events as this holds the leg more firmly in place.

This is only my opinion. It is to be taken for what it cost. I am also speaking as a BK. You don't mention whether you are BK or AK. AK can be a totally different cup of tea.

hi, are you able to post a pic of the rachet lock? i'm quite interested in your set up.

as for the suction liner, i do not use it but have a neighbour who does. He's a AK, & uses the ossur suction liner. Lasted him about a year before the seal gave way. Other than that, his feedback was that it was comfy & secure.

Neal, thanks. The Ottoblock sounds same as you are using with sleeve also. do you get a lot of spinning, sweeting etc? With the pin system i seem to get alot of grinding of the pin it drives me crazy, and if you don't get the position of the pin spot on then the leg is just so uncomfortable. Was this something you found also. I would hope that with the suction system you just put the liner on slide into socket expel the air put on the sleeve and go is it as simple as this or am i hoping for too much. I am nine years amputated and can't believe am still having difficulties with my socket and comfort. I sorry i think i've gone on to much. Just never had another amputee to ask their options. Can't believe i've never used a forum before.

Thanks Jules

I had the same problems with the pin. If the liner wasn't on just right the hole wouldn't line up and you fight for 15 minutes to get it in. You finally accept defeat and remove the liner and try again. You can also cause shearing if you get into the rachet while the liner isn't lined up. This can cause pain later as the skin is pulled and stretched by the liner.

The suction system is as easy as you said. You roll the liner on, step into socket, pull sleeve up onto your thigh, expel air trapped in socket and walk away. It is a solid fit with no spinning or pistonning of your stump in the socket.

Hi All,

This is the question I posted a few days ago.

I'm currently on the ratchet pin system. I've used it for several years and up until 3 months ago I haven't had any problems. It was a pain once or twice getting the pin in the hole, but so long as I got the liner on in the corect place, it worked every time and on a good day I could walk several miles on it, go to the gym, ride a stationary bike etc.

In the lsat three months I've had some problems with my leg swelling and I struggle more and more to get the pin into the hole, somedays it will and the next day it won't! Very frustrating. So the limb centre suggested the Ossur Liner with a suction seal.

Tomrrow I'm about to pick up my new leg with a suction fit. It has the single seal on it, although I now beleive that there is a liner with 5 seals on it, which are far more secure. However my limb centre have not yet been proactive in ordering me one of the 5 seal liners, so I will have to see how the single seal goes.

I am hoping that this will give me a great fit and be secure. I am normally fairly active, but recently I've got about less and less, so I hope the suction fit will take me back to how I was. I hope!!!

I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow an dover the weekend, assuming it is alligned properly and ready for me to take with me tomorrow!

Steve

good luck to both of you with your seal in liners. I had a seal in set up to start with and it was comfy etc, but i couldnt bend my knee quite as well as with the pin system. also, if i banged or rubbed the front of my socket on anything hard, it would break the seal and i'd need a new seal. i find the pin system far better. :unsure:

Thank you all for your input and comments, I've got to visit the hospital just to make sure

am happy to go again and aware of all the differences with the two systems but i've made up my

mind am changing to suction system. so we will start casting 10 November and i will have my new leg complete

taking it home and going to the dancing(lol) on 4th dec hopefully to have a great christmas.

SAStrainer, i wish you well and look forward to your feedback when you get your new leg also.

Jules

Hi all,

Well I've got the leg and I've warn it all of today and it has stayed on.

Not sure about it yet to give a comprehinsive review of it. It is different and provides different pressure points. The main barrier to get over is the confidence that it will stay on!! So far so good.

I've managed around the house, given it a good wriggle about, got up and down of the floor a few times and got it round Sainsbury's with the support of a supermarket trolley for most of that.

I have at least been outside with it, although I'm still very wary of it, I have at least got through a day. How i will stand up to a proper walk or a visit to the shops in town I'm not yet sure. It will then have to undergo the gym test, and by then I should know.

The socket itself is relatively comfy, although it does pull a lot more on the hairs on my legs, which has brought a few tears to my eyes.

So far though, quite impressed, but a long way to go yet.

Steve

Hi All,

I thought I would chime in here. I too wear the Otto suction system and really like the freedom of movement it gives. I do have problems of it falling off if I am sitting on a high stool, but walking it is great and feels very stable. Last week the leg seemed to bang against the socket and when I went to pick something off the ground I got this huge "ouwie" I was afraid I would not be able to wear the system. My leg guy had a great solution which even the Otto Brock man (who happened to be in the clinic that day) thought it was a great solution. I was given a silicon liner to wear inside of the Otto liner--it was able three ply--and it solved the problems.

Peace,

Beth Marie