Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sparky

Limb Transplants

German doing well after 1st double arm transplant.

This is the link the the article: http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hd257tz...mqjA1QD93MGG881

I don't know how I would deal with the choice of having someone else's legs attached to me, what do you think?

'Sparky' he looks happy, but sure will have to have tons of patience. All in all though, you might have that patience if you had lost both of your arms. This is certainly s big improvement, if it continues to be infection free. I hope it works out for him. :biggrin:

I might try it.....Not sure. Think I could cope with the idea. the difference between this and organ transplants is that you can see it :unsure:

That might be hard to deal with I'm not sure but I would probly give it a go in the right circumstances.

But then I could also be nuts :laugh:

Although I would love to have my leg back, that is the one method that seems to carry as much inherent "baggage" as losing it in the first place. (Not to mention risk of infection and the emotional cost of possibly having to lose it all over again in case of rejection.) At a real cost I've learned some interesting life lessons in the last three years. A better method would be to harvest some tissue and grow a limb using your own cell structure, DNA etc. Lower risk with the same reward and you haven't cost someone else anything.

'Kencor' I think we have all learned some LIFE lessons due to amputation. We didn't have a choice. :wink: ann

'Kencor' I think we have all learned some LIFE lessons due to amputation. We didn't have a choice. :wink: ann

You are absolutely right Ann. I wasn't trying to imply that I was the only one to have learned something from this ordeal. Just trying to find the positive spin. When I went to the ACA conference it was a real eye opener to see how many people are dealing with situations that would basically make me throw in the towel.

My point was that I hope that the future of limb replacement leans more toward growing the limbs from your own tissue, which I believe they have done with some organs already. That's a win win instead of a transplant, which I see as a win lose.

Ken

I think its one of those things where at the moment there are just too many things that could go wrong and i personally dont think I could go into an operation like that without invoking all those negative feelings from my amp all over again. If I could get a real leg back though, I'm not sure I could ever make that decision. At the moment I'm having one of those real 'I wish I had a leg that I controlled" kind of thing, even to the extent of just wanting my knee back etc etc. I agree that growing from own genetics, if that became possible, would be the best method though. I had a friend who asked me why I didn't just get a leg transplant. Which made me laugh coz I thought it was impossible. Shows how good medicine is getting, eh? I wonder whether, once your body accepts them you start producing skin that matches your own?

bex

Yep 'Kencor' I agree with you. Wouldn't that be the best miracle? and way less chance of rejection.

Here's an example of some of the important work going on in this field:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/03/22/...in3960219.shtml

'kencor' this is absolutely the most incrediable thing I've ever read. Please post everything you see about it. I sure would appreciate it. Especially the heart research, maybe there's hope for those of us who have had heart attacks & lost a % of heart function. Thanks, ann

The main reason for posting this article was to get to the tissue/limb regeneration question. I personally would not go down the limb transplant road, I know I could not cope looking at someone else's limbs. As I am a burns suvivor, regeneration is something I have followed for some time as I know what an impact it would have not carrying the scars for the rest of your life. Not to mention the months of pain. My local University is also doing research into regeneration.

http://research.nottingham.ac.uk/Vision/di...149&pid=212

'Sparky' that also is a good article. I don't know if we will see this used in our lifetime, but it definately is in the future. What miracles they are going to have. I agree with you on the limb transplant....I know I couldn't handle that. :wink: ann