Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
BethMarie

Conference 2008

Hi, I am sure that most of your who were in Atlanta this last summer at least saw me and my working dog, Emma. At the time she was fairly blind and that increased over the summer. I wanted to have her cataracts removed to enable her to see, but when it came time for the surgery the vet discovered she had very little retina (that part of the eye that allows us to see) perception. So, she was blind and there was nothing that could be done to regain her sight. I was devastated. She has adapted fairly well and relies on me to keep her safe when she is working. Due to this I had to look for my next working dog. I really did not want to, but.... Four weeks ago we had a new 8 week old pup come storming into our lives. Her name is Prairie--I live on the Canadian Prairies--and she is quite a going concern. She is adorable and has a very good personality, but she is a puppy and mouths everything. Emma will stay with me for the rest of her life, but she is not at all amused with the pup--Prairie keeps nipping at her and Emma can't see her coming.

Here is a picture of Prairie. Unless the pup learns especially quickly, you will still see Emma at ACA next year.

Peace, Beth Marie

post-2179-1225385690_thumb.jpg

"BethMarie" ~ Oh my, what a sweetie....I hope she learns very quickly. May I ask...why do you have a working dog? Are you having eye troubles? :smile: ann

So sorry to hear about Emma. What a smart, sweet dog she is. I'm sure that you and Emma will get Prairie in line quickly.

May I ask...why do you have a working dog? Are you having eye troubles? :smile: ann

Hi Ann,

I have a working dog for stability and balance. I was born with very unstable knees and they would dislocated easily. After four surgery, at the time, the best opinion was I should have my kneecaps removed--the era of knee replacements were in their infancy and I was afraid it was too risky to try--less than 50% success rate at that time and further more I was relatively young--in my late 20's. So therefore I fall very easily. If my knee goes out I fall thud on the floor, ground, street etc. Before the amputation (from car crash) Emma was able to prevent 80%+ of my falls, which as I age I sure appreciated. I am now getting back to pre-amputation strength and she, once again, can provide that extra stability if I start to go down. When I start to fall she becomes like a little concrete post as she stops and plants really well. Also, she gives me a sense of protection from someone attacking me. I really can not get away fast--although at the conference last summer I did learn how to run--not pretty, but the first time in more than 40 years. Someone with criminal intent thinks twice before coming at one with a large black dog.

Thanks for asking.

Peace, Beth Marie and Emma-----and little Prairie

May I ask...why do you have a working dog? Are you having eye troubles? :smile: ann

Hi Ann,

I have a working dog for stability and balance. I was born with very unstable knees and they would dislocated easily. After four surgery, at the time, the best opinion was I should have my kneecaps removed--the era of knee replacements were in their infancy and I was afraid it was too risky to try--less than 50% success rate at that time and further more I was relatively young--in my late 20's. So therefore I fall very easily. If my knee goes out I fall thud on the floor, ground, street etc. Before the amputation (from car crash) Emma was able to prevent 80%+ of my falls, which as I age I sure appreciated. I am now getting back to pre-amputation strength and she, once again, can provide that extra stability if I start to go down. When I start to fall she becomes like a little concrete post as she stops and plants really well. Also, she gives me a sense of protection from someone attacking me. I really can not get away fast--although at the conference last summer I did learn how to run--not pretty, but the first time in more than 40 years. Someone with criminal intent thinks twice before coming at one with a large black dog.

Thanks for asking.

Peace, Beth Marie and Emma-----and little Prairie

Thanks for the reply, Beth Marie. If I fall very much more, my hubby will be on the look-out for one for me. The older you get the more wobbly. I am sure you are just sick about Emma....and she loves you dearly as you do her. I just know little Prairie will learn very quickly. Do you have to train her or do others do it for you.

Have a great day. :smile: