Heather Mills - Amputee Forum

i keep seeing these being mentioned round and about and just wondering more about them. I know they have micro-processors in the knees. What does this mean you're able to do? and are they really as fantastic as the spiel about them makes out? and if they are that great - is there any chance in hell the nhs would provide them?

bex x

Hi Bex, i cant tell you anything about the knee really, all i know is from what ive read is that it wouldnt suit me. I know a prosthetist that has one im not sure if its off the NHS or if he has found another way to get one but i cant imagine someone spending a years wages on a leg so it may be possible. ive also seen people walking with better gait with simpler legs so i guess it depends on the person and situation if it will benefit them.

Just out of interest what leg/foot do you have as im in a similar situation, ive just got my first free knee a couple of weeks ago and am learning to walk on it,pm me if u dont want your thread to go off topic

Ben

Hi.............

I've had a set of these for a few years now. At one time I was started out on Mauch hydraulic units and did well with them. When I first got yhe C legs, the only thing I really noticed was that I did not crash any where as much as i did before . So......they work well for ME. However, I just met another bilat AK (born this way) who functions just as well on his mauch units.

I figure that it really doesn't mean much as to what you have. With practise, determination and TIME!!!! the result will be up to you!!

ED

Hey Ed,

do they let you do things that you couldn't on your others? and do you feel your above kind of just functioning if that makes sense?

Bex x

Hi Bex...........

I can only speak as to my configuration. I have no idea how they affect a one legger, however, I am aware of a couple of one leggers who were rearranged about the same time as I was and they are doing great with a C leg.

That aside, a couple of years ago, I met another BAK amp at the ACA conference in Atlanta who has amazed me with what he does. His name is Heath Calhoun. he has become somewhat known throughout the amp community in the States.

Currently, if you go to www.hanger.com website, you can link to a video of him at a recent golf tourny. Have a look and study the video to see what C legs allow him to do. Now, he is a rarity, but it does show what MAY be possible with a LOT of determination, practise and effort. As well, he drives a standard shift car with his prots!!!!!

ED

...............also, I just noticed that his personal website is back up.................www.heathcalhoun.com............several videos of him to watch................have a close look at the one called "video".......................I get chills everytime I watch it.

ED

.............here's one more worth a bit of a watch......http://lastheplace.com/2007/11/23/technology-being-grateful-and-being-a-stand-a-tribute-to-resilience-on-turkey-day/

ED

thanks for those videos gave me a bit more of an idea of what they can do, though obviously very different for bilaterals. if anyone has got other info that would be gratefully appreciated. I think its determination and hard work that's got me to the level i am now with my leg am just interested in getting back to dancing to semiproffessional level still, and so am investigating ways of making that more likely.

bex x

hi bex

i recently got my C-leg Compact which is basically C-leg without second mode or remote and the difference between the Total Knee I've had before is huge. as my "complete" leg is neurologically damaged and suffer from many problems , I'm getting to a stage where my other leg looks as it's functioning better...

main differences i've noticed so far:

you can safely put weight on it while it's bent

the only time it's completely "opened" without any resistance is during swing

you can walk down slopes while bending the knee and down stairs "leg after leg"

they say it will prevent you from falling a lot..haven't got to that point yet

you can sit down more naturally while putting weight on it

it looks cool :-D

with the "regular" C you can have several modes programmed so you can have it completely opened for bicycle etc and other modes I'm not familiar with (walking really fast?)

hope this helps a bit

tomer

thanks tomer that was exactly the kind of thing i was looking for. i need to try and prove to my prothetist that it would be beneficial. it would definately mean i could dance by the sound of it, just so i can put weight on while bent.

bex x

thanks tomer that was exactly the kind of thing i was looking for. i need to try and prove to my prothetist that it would be beneficial. it would definately mean i could dance by the sound of it, just so i can put weight on while bent.

bex x

you can do anything you set your mind to..i don't think it will have to do with the type of knee you're using. from what i understand , the C-leg is not considered to be the most active knee but probably the safest. you should definitely try it! Ottobock give it for trial for about 3 weeks..(I think i have mine now over a month...)

I have 2 C-Legs not because I'm Bilateral but because of an argument with a former employer who required me to wear steel toe capped shoes.

This does put me in the fortunate position of having tried both generations of C-Leg. I've use one of the for over 4 years now and the other for nearly 2 and I can honestly say that I would not be working without them (or at least one of them). I work in an environment where there are cables trailing all over the floor, lots of un-even surfaces including stairs, ramps and ladders. I regularly have to wear a climbing harness and climb out on scaffolding structures and it is not un-heard of for me to work an eighteen hour shift.

I've put my work leg through hell and it still keeps going, it's covered in scratches and scrapes, it has grit and sand in all of the joints, it regularly gets wet and exposed to below freezing temperatures, it has even been used as a hammer (when I has the steel toe caps on). Yet it keeps going. I do not have to think about where the foot is or how the knee will react to a ramp or step, I just walk and let it do its thing.

I've tried other legs including a 2 week trial of the Reho but found that nothing compares to the C-Leg. Does it do anything that other knees don't? That's a little difficult as the answer is yes AND no.

Most knees will allow you to do these sorts of things but they require more user input, you have to constantly think about what the leg is doing and how you need to approach an obstical to overcome it. Apart from the extra modes the C-Leg won't do anything a "normal" leg can't the difference is the ease and predictability with which the C-Leg does its job allowing you to get on with what you are trying to do.

fit is more important than the technoogy.

I went Rheo rathr than C-leg.

The improvement over a good Mauch is significant but not vast

I would also point out that the maintenance on a C leg is costly.

For whatever reason, both of my units have been serviced a couple of times. The last one had a repair bill of over $4000.00 CDN.

I am covered by an insurance plan responsible for my leg units. For someone not covered, this is an issue.

ED

I would also point out that the maintenance on a C leg is costly.

For whatever reason, both of my units have been serviced a couple of times. The last one had a repair bill of over $4000.00 CDN.

I am covered by an insurance plan responsible for my leg units. For someone not covered, this is an issue.

ED

Don't you have the guarantee? I'm not sure about Canada but in the UK all C-Legs come with a 3 year guarantee with the option to purchase 2 year extension at the time of purchase. This covers virtually any kind of mechanical problem except accidental damage and also includes the servicing.

This is slightly different than the first generation service agreement which only covered the knee as I found out when I needed a new shin tube this year :angry:

However, once your C-Leg reaches 5 years old it is deemed unservicable by Otto Bock and should be repalced although I think I might just keep on using mine until it actually breaks rather than just shelling out another £20K for the sake of it. :wink:

Grum................:

My C legs are pushing the five year mark in age. Originally, the people responsible for paying for these puppies were offered the extended stuff...............but they declined.......................so now they pay. In fact, my left unit was sfipped off a few days ago and I expect the overhaul to be about the same.

ED

Hello. I am LAK, and I use a Cleg. To me it has been a night and day difference between my confidence and activity level when using a Cleg and not using a cleg.

9-06-03 I was in a motorcycle accident that left me a LAK. My first knee was the Mercury Knee (which is sort like a Mauch) it has stance control, extension control, & flexsion control etc. I would take a fall, or come very close to falling at least once a month. A few falls can really have you second guessing the equipment. So I was always kind of apprehensive when walking with the Mercury Knee. I do recall that when I used the Mercury Knee I didn't even think about walking and holding my newborn baby, for fear that I may fall with her in my arms. I now have had a C-Leg for 2 years, and have not once fell or almost fell. I now don't think twice about walking with my 40 pound 2 years old daughter in my arms. My confidence in the cleg is very veryhigh. For us to walk as efficiently & smoothly as possible we really have to believe in the equipment we are wearing.

I have a camcorder, I could shoot some video of me doing some stuff if ya like. (actually it may be easier for me to describe exactly how the Cleg works for me if I video it)

Today, I was fitted with a Compact knee after having used a Mauch since 1980. How I got this unit is somewhat different to say the least. This guy, Mickey, I knew through my wife,became an AK amputee like me and when they made him a leg he got the Compact. He never really walked well with it. I showed him how I walked with the Mauch unit hoping that I could help him to walk without a crutch. Sadly, he was diagnosed with cancer and passed recently. Mickey and his wife, Moe, discussed what to do with the knee and they decided to offer it to me after Mickey had passed. I was unaware of this until a few days after Mickey's funeral. When Moe asked me if I could use the leg I said I would call my leg man, Harvey. Harvey said to bring it in and he would see if it was possible. It was then he discovered my foot was broken, the aluminum frame was worn, and the Mauch unit was leaking. Harvey ordered a foot and attached it to the Compact and then to my socket frame. After aligning the leg and setting the computer away I went. It is so nice to be able to walk and not worry about the leg collapsing. Harvey is going to check with Otto Boch to see if I can purchase a warranty. If not when the Compact fails I will get a Mauch because insurance will not pay for a new Compact. Thank you Mickey and Moe for thinking of me.

thanks for all the info its been really helpful. i know its fit over function, and i appreciate that. i also appreciate that to some extent 'where their's a will their's a way" but im starting to do things with my leg my physios an prosthetist didnt think would be possible. but the simple fact of the matter is i cant put my weight through a bent prosthesis and expect to be able to hold it. i figured some sort of configuration like this might make it possible.

bex x

thanks for all the info its been really helpful. i know its fit over function, and i appreciate that. i also appreciate that to some extent 'where their's a will their's a way" but im starting to do things with my leg my physios an prosthetist didnt think would be possible. but the simple fact of the matter is i cant put my weight through a bent prosthesis and expect to be able to hold it. i figured some sort of configuration like this might make it possible.

bex x

Bex,

What type of knee unit do you have at the moment and what is it you are able to do that has your physio's and prosthetist so amazed? It sounds facinating.

Lynne