Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Cat

Excess Baggage

What a bummer :mad: I don't blame him for going after them!!

What a bummer :mad: I don't blame him for going after them!!

It doesn't surprise me, not that I think its right. But I didn't think £10 was a great deal extra, not when you consider from where I live if I want to travel to the UK mainland which includes hospital and prosthetic appointments we have to pay at least £40 or £50 per trip to take the car across purely because we might be using a wheelchair and have to carry often quite heavy prosthetics.

To be honest here, I do have some sympathy for the airline. It's a low-cost carrier and every pound means that much more expensive fuel. The key phrase was "EXTRA legs" which the man indicated he wanted for convenience--nobody was keeping him from wearing his regular legs. He indicated the airline would have let him bring a wheelchair aboard at no cost--but would that be true for an EXTRA wheelchair, intended as a spare? I agree that it would have been simpler for the airline to have avoided the PR headache and just give him back the ten pounds, but I see some headline-grabbing here as well. It always makes me uncomfortable when we effectively say, "We're handicapped, but we want to be treated like everybody else. Unless, of course, we want special treatment."

I just went through this when I flew to Louisiana last week. One airline charges a checked bag fee for all checked luggage and they got me for $15.00 because I had to pack a bigger bag to accommodate my running leg. The airline that I flew on the return trip allows one bag to be checked for free so there was no problem. Most airlines do let you check one bag for free, so the solution to not paying extra fees is "pack light" and don't try to bring half of your household goods like so many people that I saw at the airport were obviously doing. I can manage for a week quite nicely with one bag, and if I don't have to pack a spare leg or a check a firearm, I can take it as carry-on and not have to deal with fees or the possibility of a lost bag.

To be honest here, I do have some sympathy for the airline. It's a low-cost carrier and every pound means that much more expensive fuel. The key phrase was "EXTRA legs" which the man indicated he wanted for convenience--nobody was keeping him from wearing his regular legs. He indicated the airline would have let him bring a wheelchair aboard at no cost--but would that be true for an EXTRA wheelchair, intended as a spare? I agree that it would have been simpler for the airline to have avoided the PR headache and just give him back the ten pounds, but I see some headline-grabbing here as well. It always makes me uncomfortable when we effectively say, "We're handicapped, but we want to be treated like everybody else. Unless, of course, we want special treatment."

Slightly agree here Trwinship. Although did notice that this chap was bilateral, and having two limbs does make quite a difference. Without a spare limb you are really quite stuck, as generally you can't hop about or whatever, if one breaks it would really put the mockers on a holiday. So as a bilateral myself, do like to take spare limbs with me and I suppose some might need to take a wheelchair also, though personally, I rarely fly and majority of my holidays have been in the UK, so just usually sling them all in the back of the car.

Oh--the guy central to this story is still a whiner who needs to suck it up and deal with it like a man instead of running to the newspapers any making everyone with a missing leg or two look like a cry-baby who can't cope with life.

Just my $0.02

Have to agree with you ,Stagger. Jet2 clearly state the following:

Collapsible pushchairs/buggies or children's car seats up to a total maximum weight of 10kg (for both items) or mobility aids up to 32kg weight do not form part of the baggage allowance and may be carried free of charge on a limited release basis as checked luggage. Additional weight will be subject to excess baggage charges. There is no concession for travel cots. No single item may weigh more than 25kg with the exception of wheelchairs and certain items of sporting equipment (32kg).

i havent flown very often, whats checked luggage?

i agree there was a principle involved but i think its fair to say amputees all have very specific requirements and it would be impossible for any company to meet them all without encountering them first. amoutees are hard because we dont fit snuggly in a 'disabled group'. Spare legs, especially if you're not taking a wheelchair are extremely important. Jet2 should have been more cooperative from the beginning, too many companys have too many workers willing to put up road blocks rather then check if there's a solution; perhaps they need a course in customer management?!?!

"Checked" luggage is the bigger suitcases and bags that go into the baggage compartment. All of your baggage will either be "checked" (goes in the baggage compartment) or "carry on", meaning that you carry it on with you and stow it above your seat.

I prefer carry-on, because the bag never leaves my sight (baggage handlers steal) and when I get off the plane, I've already got it.

. amoutees are hard because we dont fit snuggly in a 'disabled group'.

So true Bex

When I recently did a round the world trip I was informed that it is illegal to charge for disability aids within the EU.

I took my swimming leg as carry-on in addition to my normal carry-on bag. I'm an AK so the bag was way over the carry-on size limit but I wasn't preapred to take the risk of it going missing or getting damaged in the hold. I have to say that during the three week trip I flew seven times including a low cost airline in the US (Hawaiian if anyones interested) and never encountered a problem. Only once did try to take the bag from me and that was because they assumed that it was hold luggage as soon as I said it was carry on they left me alone.

The link below might help clear things up if you're up for a good (long) read try section 3.19 on page 24

www.dft.gov.uk/transportforyou/access/aviationshipping/accesstoairtravelfordisabled.pdf