Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sue1

Any suggestions for a non slip base?

Hi, I debated which part of the forum to put this in (here or general) as it is prosthetic related but a bit unusual. I am looking for suggestions for a material that is semi-flexible, non-slip, hard wearing and can be glued to rubber.

Basicallly my sports leg has a solid rubber foot and is designed to be worn bare foot but the foot is too slippery so the lfc have tried gluing something to the bottom of the foot to overcome this problem. The new problem is that this material is neither hard wearing - it goes through within weeks, nor particularly non slip although better than the bare foot and cannot suggest anything else they could use.

So can anyone think of something we could use?

The only current suggestion from a friend (non amputee) is neoprene but he thinks that would be too slippery on the wooden floors.

Thanks everyone.

Try this company http://www.feetfirst.resoles.co.uk/cycling...shoe_repair.php they resole all kinds of shoes/boots with stealth rubber which was made for rock climbing, it's VERY durable and VERY grippy. I'm sure if you phoned them and explained the issue they would sell you some of the sole material to use.

I got one of my mountain bike boots done in it.

203103972_wu8nw-M.jpg

Thanks - I have e-mailed them explaining the problem and asking for details (thickness, cost etc) if they could help. My one thought is that it may be too thick - as my other foot is barefoot it needs to be quite thin to stop me from being too uneven.

Good idea though.

Thanks - I have e-mailed them explaining the problem and asking for details (thickness, cost etc) if they could help. My one thought is that it may be too thick - as my other foot is barefoot it needs to be quite thin to stop me from being too uneven.

Good idea though.

It's only about 3mm thick so should be fine, also if it is to thick have the leg shortened by the same amount so you end up with the same length. Alternatly, shave material off the foot to make it flat then put the new sole on that.