Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Brenda

Handicap parking

The other day I was looking for a handicap parking spot and my husband tells me I can run a Marathon but have to park in the handicap spot and I said I'm handicapped. Later we are talking to his sister and he shares the story to her and I said on the permit form it says if you can't walk more then 200 feet without the aide of a prosthetic you can have one. I said I can't walk two feet without the aide of a prosthetic I'd fall after one foot....

Brenda

The non-runners in your family are getting uppity! :D

I have to agree with your husband. I ski almost every day of the season, when the snow melts I go hiking or biking or swimming or sailing. I do have a disabled placard but almost never use it unless I need to (If my stump is sore from hiking 20 miles in the moutains for example). My feeling is that I can walk across a parking lot just fine. Why not save the blue zone for somebody who really needs it (Like that really fat cow who can't hike 20 feet let alone 20 miles).

It's really nice at parking meters though, where you don't have to pay. I did have somebody call me out once when I was using my placard. "Hey you're not disabled" "I know but when they chop your leg off you can park here too"

In case you're wondering why I have time to ski almost every day...well It's part of my job to ski so NANNER NANNER NANNER. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:

hey, I didn't know I could park in parking meter without paying!!! What I have learned so far by just reading your stories... Well, where I live it seems like everybody have one of those blue disable placa although you can see some fat person who should be walking for exercise or just some young who will park, jump out of the car and run to the store or mall etc. Some times I wonder where are the cops when you need one. But than I remember that, once on a fourth July weekend, we were visiting relatives in another city. I went for milk and I parked my husband car in a blue zone. When I was coming back this cop was getting information on the radio about the car. He saw me, it is clear that I don't have a leg. I told him I was sorry, because it was my husband car which I hardly drive, I forgot to put the disable card but I showed it to him. He said that it was too late, he already had called in and I had to go to talk to a judge about the ticket he was handing to me. Everybody had a good time laughting and telling others that I got a ticket for parking in a handicap parking space. When I got back to my town I call in the police department and they told me this cop was being a pain. He probable was p because he had to work on a holiday. The nice policewoman took copy of my drives licence and handicapped plate and she even mail it to the right person. Nice job!

Its funny, I have a handicapped tag and am having these situations almost daily. I find that I get *nervous* about someone thinking I am not handicapped, and cheating....when I know that is STUPID...if they have a question about it, I would show them in a heartbeat....

So then, when *I* start to judge others for parking in "our" spaces, I have to catch myself. LOTS of times I am SURE they are in no way handicapped. One situation, that drives me CRAZY, is my sons preschool....the moms seem to use it as a "quick park" spot, thinking they are just going to run in quickly to get their kid. I get SO mad, esp on "bad" leg days, when I really NEED it. The thing that gets me is that there are spaces JUST as close, for them to choose, but are up a tiny hill...right now hills are NOT my strength, but would be NO problem for them...but instead they take MY spot. I have talked to the preschool director and she offered to put something in the newsletter, but I dont have confidence it will help. What I try to do is park close enough that when I get out these cheaters can SEE my artificial leg and MAYBE will think about how they took a spot from a legitimate person.

I am afraid to approach them, mainly because some disabilities ARE hidden....and the one time I am brave enough to do it I will get burned, you know? Like one day at a major department store I parked about the same time another family did. We got out at the same time, they were also in handicapped parking. I had shorts on, obvious why I was there...but they had four adults in their group, a couple of kids...no one looked handicapped at first glance. Several were overweight, so I assumed it was that....and grumbled to myself.....then later at the check out I saw them again and realized the man was BLIND....he had been walking closely to a woman, I realized later, holding her arm for guidance....I was SO glad I didnt say anything that time! So that makes me hesitant to speak up....any thoughts on this?...

Judy

LBK

Utah

I was having a no leg day once. I was looking for a blue space but it had a car in it. I had to park in the far side of the lot and crutch back to the store. When I saw the car in handicapped parking it had no tag or placard. About that time a black girl came out. I asked her nicely why she'd parked there, making me, a guy with only one leg crutch a long way to the store. She was nice and aplogised and promissed to never park in disabled parking again. I was saticfied with that, as long as she did her promise.

I have called people out for parking in disabled parking without appernet disability. Just be nice. Something like "Excuse me. I noticed you are using disabled parking but you don't apear disabled. Are you?" If somebody asks me like that I'd be happy to explain to the that I have a fake leg and it's sore that day.

If somebody calls you out, even if they are rude, if you nicely explain to them that you are infact disabled they will understand. If they are rude about it, and you're nice back to them they will be very embarressed about being rude.

Eric

I've never really had a problem with people questioning my use of a handicapped space--if someone's looking suspiciously at me when I pull in I'll usually just adopt an exaggerated limp as I get out of the car--groaning is helpful as well. But I love to have fun with overly officious people who can't mind their own business. While not an "amp" story, I remember the time I was waiting at the airport for my Scottish terrier, Sean. Delayed by an airline mistake, poor Sean had been in his crate for 18 hours when he finally arrived. As we got into the elevator to the parking garage, I let him out and clicked on his leash. Shortly afterward, an expensively-dressed middle-aged woman got on as well--the door closed, and up we went. As we rode, the woman looked down her nose at Sean (who was behaving nicely, thank you) and, in best Margaret Dumont (Groucho's frequent target) manner intoned, "There are NO dogs allowed in the airport!" I was tired. Sean was tired, and I'm afraid I did not respond graciously to the comment. Staring forward fixedly, I replied, "Madam, you see before you the world's first Seeing-Eye Scottie!" With perfect timing, the elevator door opened onto the parking lot--the handicapped lot! Putting my hand out in front of me I said, in commanding voice, "Sean! Car! Find! "---and off we went. The look on the lady's face remains one of my fondest memories.

Trwinship, your quick mind really surprised me :o . I wish I were that smart. I also wish I could have seen the lady's face. :D I bet your dog felt very proud of you. While in Brasil, my husband sent me an e-mail telling what happened to him in a park lot of the YMCA of our little town. He had taken my little mutt for a well needed walking at one of our parks..there Kiss, the mutt, smelled every dog that was in the park, "watered" every tree bark available and jump in the St. Joseph River for a nice refreshing bath. :rolleyes: On their way home, my husband decided to stop at the YMCA and do some exercises. He left the windows a little down and went inside... as he was changing clothe he was called to the front desk. Arriving there he was sent to the park lot where his car was surrendered by kids and some women who were droping water inside his car at his dog and accusing him of animal cruelty. :blink: ..saying how sweat the poor mutt was... He explained what had just happened and that this dog loves all the attention and also he likes to drink water from bottle... the women weren't buying his storie, he had to hurry up and take Kiss home. :blink:

Dogs and disabled folks --- reminds me of this joke"

While an airliner was at the gate for a long may-over, passengers were invited to step off the plane for a stretch. The polit came out of the cockpit and saw a lone blinmd man in his eat, with his guide dog. The pilot asked if he'd like to go for a walk, The blind man said, "No thanks. But would you take my dog for a walk?" The pilot agreed.

The passengers in the terminal were a bit startled to see the pilot, in full uniform, walking from the plane led by a guide dog.

LOL good one!