Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SusanI

Crunchie noises on the end of my residual limb (RAK)

I have a RAKA. I am two years out from my amputation. I have a long length of residual limb. I can make the end of my residual limb make these weird crunchie noises. My doctor said it might be a bursa. I had him take an x-ray but nothing showed up - I thought maybe it was some type of bone spur. I am OK if I don' t do too much, but we were away for a few days and I was walking more, trying to get some exercise. It really hurts and crunches more when I've been walking more. I have also gotten real sharp pains in the past because of it.

Anyone else have anything like this? The way it feels, I am afraid that I am going to need some type of surgery down the road. :wacko: It has to do with the muscles I think, where they were cut and tied up. they almost spasm sometimes.

Any thoughts anyone?

Best,

Susan

Hi Susan,

Nice to "see" you! How's that socket coming along- are you in the vacuum?

Sorry to hear about the crunching noises... :ohmy: That doesn't sound good, I hope you figure out what it is. I get the spasms on occasion, but no crunching.

Take Care,

Cheri

Hi Susan,

Nice to "see" you! How's that socket coming along- are you in the vacuum?

Sorry to hear about the crunching noises... :ohmy: That doesn't sound good, I hope you figure out what it is. I get the spasms on occasion, but no crunching.

Take Care,

Cheri

Hi Cheri,

I never got the vacuum socket. :sad: My prosthetists wanted to try their own "system", and are still experimenting. They wanted to try something simpler than Stan's system. They tried me in a modified Warren's flip socket (http://www.oandp.com/news/jmcorner/2007-03/4.asp), but it wasn't quite right. I got frustrated and told them to let me know when they find a system that is working a bit more consistently. Luckily, my ischial containment system is still working well, and since it's not summer, I'm not sweating too bad right now.

My prosthetists have taken good care of me, so I suppose I'll "try" to be patient and see what they come up with. :laugh: They are experimenting with a few other patients right now.

Is your system still working well for you?

Warmly,

Susan

Hi Susan-

I'm still doing well with the vacuum system, no complaints! Well, that's not true, I can always find something to complain about- just ask my hubby! :laugh:

No, seriously, it's been great for me. I love not having to worry about suction issues.

I totally understand where you're at right now and I think you have a great time working with you- so you'll do fine. I remember being impressed at how closely they worked with you and their willingness to learn, etc... So, hey, if your current socket is allowing you to lead a normal life that's great! I walked for many years in an ischial containment socket that was very comfortable, it's just with my residual limb being so short, it was hard to avoid the suction issues. Hence, the reason I love the vacuum.

Anyway, it's great to get caught up with you and to hear that all is well! Except those crunching noises- let us know what you find out on that.

Take good care!!

Hi Susan-

I think you have a great time working with you-

good grief- this is supposed to say, "I think you have a great TEAM working with you!"

Hopefully you have a great time with your great team! :biggrin: