Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
mick

a good day went bad

As I had a couple of days off work and as my better half had made a huge mistake and left me no jobs to do I decided to escape to the hills. :biggrin:

as there was no daft sod to come walking with me at short notice I decided to go up to Alwiton and do a smallish hike up into the hills , I left my long suffering better half a note of what route ect I was doing and what times I should be finished ect (no mobile phone coverage).

And so I escaped once again up into the hills, I met a few fellow hikers on various different walks exchanged a few words and went on our different ways, all was going really great my new leg was working above and beyond any thing that I had the right to expect and as always life is good.

Morning turned to Afternoon as I merrily walked round the route. And as I started on the last section which took me off the hill tops down to the valley bottom where I left the car, I had my last stop and finished off my sarnies and coffee, I couldn’t help but notice that the weather was turning from a lovely blue (but cold) sky to a very dark cloudy which signalled to me time to get off the top.

Then I saw an old couple and a small child wandering one way then turning back only to turn around again, (are they lost???I think to myself).

As we passed I made the normal inquires without making too obvious and yes they where lost. When they told me where they had left there car it was about 3 hours away and with the sky theating I did the decent thing and suggested if they wanted to get down the bottom with me I would give them a lift to there car,

By the time we got to my car the little boy was almost crying and the weather had turned bloody awful. But we were down. To shut the boy up I gave him my kit Kat bar, and dropped them off at there car,

Now this is where it gets good as they got out the old dear gave me a lovely telling off and how I shouldn’t be out there as anything could happen to me having only one leg and she wouldn’t shut up till I promised that I wouldn’t do it again and that I was a very stupid boy, she really tore into me, and was quite nasty I was totally speechless, I just couldn’t believe it

I mean I found them I got them safely back to there car and all I get is a rollicking and they left mud in my car, (I was wishing that I hadn’t given the kid my kit Kat )My good mood went straight out the window and the only reason I stood there and let her was because she is old and most likely meant well, but if I ever get that old and daft I would like someone (any one please ) to take me outside and shoot me .

So now after 4 years of being an amputee I have had my first negative experience from someone about having a leg missing and it wasn’t from a drunken yob but from someone who you would have expected to have a bit more compassion, and yes it did bother me (I must be getting soft)

So from now on if I see an old couple wandering lost in the hill I will bloody well leave them or better still get social services to lock them up in an old folks home where they won’t go around upsetting the locals.

It’s no big deal now but at the time it did ruing the rest of my day, and maybe I need to “put on a bit of armour” so I wont be hurt so much next time,

Thanks for reading n take care ………………..Mick

So from now on if I see an old couple wandering lost in the hill I will bloody well leave them

You don't mean that, maybe today you do, but you wouldn't do that... she reacted very oddly and not normally. I'd be amazed if the next person you helped reacted like that. Think if you don't help the next person and you see on the news that night that they perished. That would be the fault of that stupid misguided old woman, don't let her change you. It's her problem, don't make it yours and ultimately anyone elses. You're better than that, just feel pity for her.

Lecture over :biggrin:

You've just found out that no good deed goes unpunished, Mick. Seems to be one of those universal laws. I just know that if I am ever wandering around lost (which is not a stretch for me) I would far prefer to encounter someone like you than an uncaring soul. That old woman probably thought she was doing you a favor, or was mentally ill, or any number of other explanations but bottom line is that you should not feel bad for doing the right thing.

Hi Mick,

No matter what the outcome, you did the right thing and that's what's important!

I'm thinking that the woman projected her anger at herself for being so foolish to be so far away from their car, and lost, and having their grandchild (?) with them. I bet she was really upset with herself and just took it out on you!

Because, imagine if she's telling someone else the story and saying how foolish you were to be up there with only one leg, etc... The first thing anyone would tell her is that she is DARN LUCKY you were up there! Doesn't matter how many legs you do or don't have, they would most likely have been in a heap of trouble had they not run into you!

Oh- and I'd be irritated about the mud too!!! :glare:

As I had a couple of days off work and as my better half had made a huge mistake and left me no jobs to do I decided to escape to the hills. :biggrin:

as there was no daft sod to come walking with me at short notice I decided to go up to Alwiton and do a smallish hike up into the hills , I left my long suffering better half a note of what route ect I was doing and what times I should be finished ect (no mobile phone coverage).

And so I escaped once again up into the hills, I met a few fellow hikers on various different walks exchanged a few words and went on our different ways, all was going really great my new leg was working above and beyond any thing that I had the right to expect and as always life is good.

Morning turned to Afternoon as I merrily walked round the route. And as I started on the last section which took me off the hill tops down to the valley bottom where I left the car, I had my last stop and finished off my sarnies and coffee, I couldn't help but notice that the weather was turning from a lovely blue (but cold) sky to a very dark cloudy which signalled to me time to get off the top.

Then I saw an old couple and a small child wandering one way then turning back only to turn around again, (are they lost???I think to myself).

As we passed I made the normal inquires without making too obvious and yes they where lost. When they told me where they had left there car it was about 3 hours away and with the sky theating I did the decent thing and suggested if they wanted to get down the bottom with me I would give them a lift to there car,

By the time we got to my car the little boy was almost crying and the weather had turned bloody awful. But we were down. To shut the boy up I gave him my kit Kat bar, and dropped them off at there car,

Now this is where it gets good as they got out the old dear gave me a lovely telling off and how I shouldn't be out there as anything could happen to me having only one leg and she wouldn't shut up till I promised that I wouldn't do it again and that I was a very stupid boy, she really tore into me, and was quite nasty I was totally speechless, I just couldn't believe it

I mean I found them I got them safely back to there car and all I get is a rollicking and they left mud in my car, (I was wishing that I hadn't given the kid my kit Kat )My good mood went straight out the window and the only reason I stood there and let her was because she is old and most likely meant well, but if I ever get that old and daft I would like someone (any one please ) to take me outside and shoot me .

So now after 4 years of being an amputee I have had my first negative experience from someone about having a leg missing and it wasn't from a drunken yob but from someone who you would have expected to have a bit more compassion, and yes it did bother me (I must be getting soft)

So from now on if I see an old couple wandering lost in the hill I will bloody well leave them or better still get social services to lock them up in an old folks home where they won't go around upsetting the locals.

It's no big deal now but at the time it did ruing the rest of my day, and maybe I need to "put on a bit of armour" so I wont be hurt so much next time,

Thanks for reading n take care ………………..Mick

Hi Mick -

You absolutely did the right thing...how could you not have offered to help? I've found out that in the short time since this has happened to me, that there are a few people who just don't know what to say, and when they do say something, it just comes out all wrong. In this instance, she was absolutely wrong, you just have to try and laugh it off, but it does tick you off I know. I'm glad there are people like you, don't change..

Take care of yourself...

The correct response for next time:

"I may only have one leg, but at least I knew where I was and how to get back." :rolleyes:

Thanks All.

After having a few days to think about it I have more or less come to the same conclusion, she realised that they taken there grandson into the hills with little or no thought of the conditions and got caught out and she just took it out on the first person that she came across.

the fact that I am an amputee just made it easer to blame me for her short comings rather than face up to the fact that they had got it wrong.

It goes without saying that if I ever found someone wondering lost I would do my best to help them down even if they were grumpy old people.

I guess it just caught me totally unaware that’s all; I was expecting a thanks & goodbye not a bollocking.

No harm done.

Thanks again ………………..Mick