Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
JohnnyV

Travel plans to England March of 2009

Oh, Johnny, surely not? :smile:

Than we will just have to meet up while I am there. I look forward to it!

I found out about a Girl Scout World Center that is close to London. Shannon is a Girl Scout so I am thinking about taking her to an International Adventure day on Saturday the 16th. that is being held. This event could facilitate Shannon meeting other Girl Scouts from all over the world.

Here is a link to the place and information about the event.

World Center: England

http://paxlodge.wagggsworld.org/en/home

http://paxlodge.wagggs.org/en/programmes/c...tionaladventure

I forgot to mention that after finalizing my travel plans, I found out that the week of March 8th is not my daughter's spring break. :blush::unsure: So I contacted Shannon's school and her mother, explained the situation to them, and everyone agreed that it would be appropriate to take her out of school for the week. Was I relieved. :rolleyes:

I found out about a Girl Scout World Center that is close to London. Shannon is a Girl Scout so I am thinking about taking her to an International Adventure day on Saturday the 16th. that is being held. This event could facilitate Shannon meeting other Girl Scouts from all over the world.

Here is a link to the place and information about the event.

World Center: England

I was informed today that the International Adventure Day program has been canceled at the Pax Lodge :ohmy:, So we may arrange for a tour instaed. :unsure:

the pound is now worth less than a grote, so dollars buy lots of pounds. Would have been different a few months bnack - perhaps when you booked.

from Cave of Brightlinghelm

the pound is now worth less than a grote, so dollars buy lots of pounds. Would have been different a few months bnack - perhaps when you booked.

from Cave of Brightlinghelm

My neighbor keeps an eye on those things and shared that good news with me last week, but it is still much appreciated to hear it from you as well.

Thank you for sharing Cave.

Johnny,

This is the first year I have not cycled in the Uk and boy am I missing it. Forget about a car you don't need it you can see all of the UK by train. Unlike here it is fast, cheep and excellent service. And very bike friendly! If you can take the tube as much as possible it is easy once you learn the routes. Taxis are very expensive I found but the serive they provide you will not find anywhere else. So worth it just for the experiance.

Do go to the EYE, your daughter will love it and the Tower, and walk down to the Clink. Around there there is a Saturday Market not to ever be missed. Folks from all over europe come to sell their wares and food. The Spanish hams are to die for. I will however pass again on the jellied Ells It is not for me.

Unlike here, all the museums are free to the public so enjoy as much as you can.

Have a pint for me and a good steak and ale pie. I swear I would move to the UK for someone that made a great steak and ale pie.

Rent some bikes and you and your daughter can see the area so well because of it being so bike friendly.

Also there is the Rail to Sail pass last year for 25 quid, you could get to Rotterdam overnight from London via a train to the coast and a ferry. Well worth doing.

Boy I evny you. I will look forward to hearing about your trip in Alanta in June.

Dan

Hi Johnny,

I am new to the forum but an old Londoner - I now live about 40 miles north of London but I still love london, anyway here are my thoughts on some attractions:-

1. London Eye (Best views in london)

2. Tower Of London (not cheap but a real wonder - including the crown jewels)

3. Take a trip to the Tower Bridge museum - there is a walkway above the roadway and also the old steam engines etc

4. Take a trip on the Thames, either on a guided tourist boat or more economically on a scheduled trip e.g. from embankment to Greenwich.

5. Covent Garden full of high quality buskers - free apart from donations!

6. The museums are free (but please make a contribution) :-

- National History Museum (place to see Dinosaur skeletons etc great fo children....)

- Science Museum

- British Museum (treasures from arould the world - lots of Egyption Mummys), Great Hall is a good place to have a coffee

7. Go to the South Bank there is always something going on .... i.e. Free entertainment

8. If you want to se more of London and are up for a walk take a guided walk just turn up and pay (www.walk.com)

Just some quick thoughts if you are interested in anything specific I probably can give some more info :-)

Re transport tube and buses are the way to go ... but try a London Cab not cheap but an experience and safe and reliable.

Regards

Steve :smile:

Hi Johnny,

I am new to the forum but an old Londoner - I now live about 40 miles north of London but I still love london, anyway here are my thoughts on some attractions:-

1. London Eye (Best views in london)

2. Tower Of London (not cheap but a real wonder - including the crown jewels)

3. Take a trip to the Tower Bridge museum - there is a walkway above the roadway and also the old steam engines etc

4. Take a trip on the Thames, either on a guided tourist boat or more economically on a scheduled trip e.g. from embankment to Greenwich.

5. Covent Garden full of high quality buskers - free apart from donations!

6. The museums are free (but please make a contribution) :-

- National History Museum (place to see Dinosaur skeletons etc great fo children....)

- Science Museum

- British Museum (treasures from arould the world - lots of Egyption Mummys), Great Hall is a good place to have a coffee

7. Go to the South Bank there is always something going on .... i.e. Free entertainment

8. If you want to se more of London and are up for a walk take a guided walk just turn up and pay (www.walk.com)

Just some quick thoughts if you are interested in anything specific I probably can give some more info :-)

Re transport tube and buses are the way to go ... but try a London Cab not cheap but an experience and safe and reliable.

Regards

Steve :smile:

Thank you Steve! I am very grateful to you for the input and will do my very best to try and make good use of it. JV

Hi Johnny,

As you're staying in Surrey you might want to go to Richmond which is a nice town by the Thames. It has alright shopping and some nice bars and restaurants down by the river, and Richmond Park which is beautiful. You can hire bikes and cycle around the park which can also be nice.

Also, Windsor with Windsor Castle and its park will be near you. Also most definitely worth a trip. There is a great oldey worldy pub just by the entrance to the castle (sorry can't remember the name) which does great Mussels and Chips and a nice glass of wine..

In fact if you're feeling energetic you can actually cycle between Richmond and Windsor down the Thames - it is a fair journey but if you get nice weather v worth it. For routes look at Sustrans' website and buy the London-Oxford map (but it's all signposted regardless).

F x

Hi Johnny,

As you're staying in Surrey you might want to go to Richmond which is a nice town by the Thames. It has alright shopping and some nice bars and restaurants down by the river, and Richmond Park which is beautiful. You can hire bikes and cycle around the park which can also be nice.

Also, Windsor with Windsor Castle and its park will be near you. Also most definitely worth a trip. There is a great oldey worldy pub just by the entrance to the castle (sorry can't remember the name) which does great Mussels and Chips and a nice glass of wine..

In fact if you're feeling energetic you can actually cycle between Richmond and Windsor down the Thames - it is a fair journey but if you get nice weather v worth it. For routes look at Sustrans' website and buy the London-Oxford map (but it's all signposted regardless).

F x

Thanks Fiona. I appreciate your suggestions and will consider them with my daughter and friends.

I was looking into renting a car for our trip, but when I realized that the price of gas was a little over twice what we pay here in the USA, it was a bit discouraging. :ohmy:

Check out these international price comparisons that I found online. :wacko:

We really are fortunate here in the States. :excl:

The problem is depending on exactly where you are staying and where you want to go public transport is not that good. It's usually ok to get to/from Londond and within London is great but elsewhere tends to be very limited - it can also be expensive.

I was looking into renting a car for our trip, but when I realized that the price of gas was a little over twice what we pay here in the USA, it was a bit discouraging. :ohmy:

You are so right Johnny, even with all that's going on right now, we still are fortunate here in the States! :wink:

You and your daughter have a safe trip and a GREAT time!

Sheila :smile:

LBK- Maine, USA

You are so right Johnny, even with all that's going on right now, we still are fortunate here in the States! :wink:

You and your daughter have a safe trip and a GREAT time!

Sheila :smile:

LBK- Maine, USA

Yes we will Shiela.

Thank you.

11 DAYS

Do they have proper clotted cream in Surry? I miss Shanty Lagers and Cream Teas, those old castles and sacred sites and the wonderful cathedrals. Exeter Cathedral made me cry it was so amazing! Older than anything in my Country! Hopefully I'll visit my friend in Dartmoor again soon....

She's taking the Labrador I sent her to Crufts....wish I was going.

Have a great trip, Johnny!

Susan

Johnny- Warwick is definately a great side trip and you can get their easily by rail- Be sure to go to the website, and if you are staying overnight, book a reservation for the dinner theatre. My wife and I attended "the Highwayman" I think it was called, and it was a very memorable experiance.

As for driving vs rail and the Underground, I choose the latter. London is definately one place I would never attempt it. Its actually much faster to take the Underground everywhere because of the congestion above ground. Coming from the Airport you may want a cab because of luggage- note that they dont load the luggage for you as here in the states. I did note that someone recommended a book on how to use the rail and book in advance. I was not quite as savy, and I will warn you that trying to plan a rail trip using the websites is very confusing. I managed to get places by going to the rail station and asking how to get from here to there. I never had any problems or experianced any long waits since the trains are very efficient.

I havent read all the replies, so forgive me if I am repetative in any of the following hints-

- Cell phone- What service do you have now? Most all, except Sprint, have international rates that you can turn on with your plan. I have used both ATT and T-mobile, which is big there. If you can get an "unlocked" phone, then you have some options of buying an inexpensive chip there and using during your travel.

- Our first trip we packed way too heavy. The guesthouse we stayed had a heck of a time with transporting our lugguage up the stairs. Since then, I pack much lighter. Most of the synthetics can be washed on the sink and will dry overnight. If you wear jeans (I had to buy a pair because I didnt bring any and in London that is what everyone was wearing), then I recommend bringing one pair.

- Electrical adapters can be confusing. Before your trip, put all your electronics on the table and then check the power supply ratings to see if they work on both 110 and 220. I found that all but one of my items would work on both. Transformer/converters that change the voltage from 220 to 110 are rather heavy and I prefer to do without them. We bought an inexpensive travel hairdryer for my wife that has switchable voltage. For those items that work on both power voltages, all you will need are the cheap plug adapters that work for the UK. Note that the UK plugs are different than those in central Europe.

Also while there, you might check to see if any events are happening at the Royal Albert Hall. I was very lucky to catch a David Gilmour concert at the time- another grand memory.

Dale

Johnny- Warwick is definately a great side trip and you can get their easily by rail- Be sure to go to the website, and if you are staying overnight, book a reservation for the dinner theatre. My wife and I attended "the Highwayman" I think it was called, and it was a very memorable experiance.

As for driving vs rail and the Underground, I choose the latter. London is definately one place I would never attempt it. Its actually much faster to take the Underground everywhere because of the congestion above ground. Coming from the Airport you may want a cab because of luggage- note that they dont load the luggage for you as here in the states. I did note that someone recommended a book on how to use the rail and book in advance. I was not quite as savy, and I will warn you that trying to plan a rail trip using the websites is very confusing. I managed to get places by going to the rail station and asking how to get from here to there. I never had any problems or experianced any long waits since the trains are very efficient.

I havent read all the replies, so forgive me if I am repetative in any of the following hints-

- Cell phone- What service do you have now? Most all, except Sprint, have international rates that you can turn on with your plan. I have used both ATT and T-mobile, which is big there. If you can get an "unlocked" phone, then you have some options of buying an inexpensive chip there and using during your travel.

- Our first trip we packed way too heavy. The guesthouse we stayed had a heck of a time with transporting our lugguage up the stairs. Since then, I pack much lighter. Most of the synthetics can be washed on the sink and will dry overnight. If you wear jeans (I had to buy a pair because I didnt bring any and in London that is what everyone was wearing), then I recommend bringing one pair.

- Electrical adapters can be confusing. Before your trip, put all your electronics on the table and then check the power supply ratings to see if they work on both 110 and 220. I found that all but one of my items would work on both. Transformer/converters that change the voltage from 220 to 110 are rather heavy and I prefer to do without them. We bought an inexpensive travel hairdryer for my wife that has switchable voltage. For those items that work on both power voltages, all you will need are the cheap plug adapters that work for the UK. Note that the UK plugs are different than those in central Europe.

Also while there, you might check to see if any events are happening at the Royal Albert Hall. I was very lucky to catch a David Gilmour concert at the time- another grand memory.

Dale

Thank you Dale!

That is all really great information that I will make use of on my next trip over there. We had a wonderful experience over there and would love to do it again.

Dale

Thank you Dale!

That is all really great information that I will make use of on my next trip over there. We had a wonderful experience over there and would love to do it again.

I later realized that your trip had probaby started after I had sent this. I think we are all anxious to learn the details about your trip and experiances over there- please fill us in

Dale