Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
unique

Seeking expereices from Any amps

Hi,

I have been away form the board for a while ANd I would appreciate any expereiences out there from people who have been through Knee replacments(Partial or complete) I have been fighting it for while with synvisc injections and they are great, but don't last very long.

I have the option of a partial ? But I am scared and my doctor doesn't know any amputee patients

He is at the Hospital for Special Surgery and I have confidence . The partial is done withrobotic CAD CAM job.

Any input would greatly be appreciated from amputees.

I have tried the local board.

No luck yet!

Cynthia

Hello Cynthia,

Although I am not an amputee myself I do have a friend who is and she lives on Long Island . I have not spoken to her in a while but I will try and reach out to her. Im not sure if she has information that can be helpful to you as well. She is about the same age as yourself I beleive and is also a non-user but uses a WC instead of crutches. At the very least maybe even make a new friend.

I hope it was OK to reply since I am not an amp myself.

Thanks

Mike

Hi,

I have been away form the board for a while ANd I would appreciate any expereiences out there from people who have been through Knee replacments(Partial or complete) I have been fighting it for while with synvisc injections and they are great, but don't last very long.

I have the option of a partial ? But I am scared and my doctor doesn't know any amputee patients

He is at the Hospital for Special Surgery and I have confidence . The partial is done withrobotic CAD CAM job.

No luck yet!

Cynthia

I'm an amp, Cythia, and I've had a THR and TKR. If your partial implant is to be on your amp side I wouldn't (personally) have the partial one, I'd go for the total - simply because, as an amp, there are lots more stresses going through the leg. Actually, come to think of it, I would opt for the total, anyway ... as there are a lot more stresses going through both legs if you're an amp. That's just my opinion though - you must decide for yourself.

PM me and I'll give you more details.

Take care (I have a good ideas what it must feel like just now :ph34r: )

Lizzie :smile:

PS Just realised - we've PM'd, ages ago, about this already haven't we? :smile: Please get back in touch.

Cynthia,

Forgive me for sticking in my 2 cents that are not completely related. I am not an amp, but have had a TKR. Lizzie is in a better position to address your specific situation. I will tell you that having the total means that there will be no further deterioration of the joint if that is the reason for the replacement. Ask your doctor whether (s)he feels that the recovery is less with a partial.

You will need to learn to walk a little differently, and rebuild muscle strength. There is a lot of work and commitment in the recovery, and you will need to be patient and follow your doctor's orders and do your rehab. You can't fake your way through the PT. But you don't need to kill yourself either. But I can also tell you that the first time you move without pain it is worth the effort.

Although I cannot address the issues surrounding being an amp, I would be glad to share my experiences with you as well. PM or email me.

Maryl

Forgive me for sticking in my 2 cents that are not completely related. I am not an amp, but have had a TKR.

Oh, goodness, have I confused you two? :unsure: It wasn't you that I PM'd/emailed about my TKR was it? :wacko:

Anyway, how are you Maryl? Keeping well I hope? And, how's the TKR? :smile:

Hi,

No luck yet!

Cynthia

:smile: Hi Cynthia,

I would recommend a TKR. I am an amputee/prosthetist and have provided limbs for people with both.

In general the TKR seems to do/did better for people. I have not kept up with PKR advances and

can only share that people with PKR before amputation.

Hope this helps, Mark