Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Caveman

underpants?

I have had a liner socket + bayonet. The legs I have now are all suction.

Still not sure what works best on the underpant front: slim boxers, briefs, cotton, synthetic, in or out of socket etc.

Tucked in I can get "wet blisters"; out I can get some friction sores (needs to be on feet for 4hours plus).

not sure what is best: what is the view of you experienced guys (and ladies?)

Sheepskin pads? cushioned leather? on the socket

thanks

Briefs... outside of the socket, done it for over twenty years no problem...you shouldn't have anything between you and the socket/liner...

Hello Caveman,

I’m only 4 years down this road and will be following this thread rather carefully, like you I have had the “tucked in” wet blisters and some “friction sores” when out .

Have also had the pulling of hairs (plucking) from a place where it is very painful and when in public very hard to sort out.

Have also tried the sheepskin pads which worked well for a day or so then things went back to normal.

What works the best for me is sloggi tight boxers. See pic attached (if it works)

On a normal day worn on the outside BUT with lots of baby powder on top of leg and around my “bits” ensuring that none drops down the liner. (If that makes sense)

However when I am out hiking for the day I still wear sloggi on the outside But wipe a layer of thick hand cream completely round the stump just above and below where the liner will be. This seems to stop the friction burns.

I hope this helps but it is by no means foolproof ………take care mick

Sorry just reread what I wrote that should be:- wipe a layer of thick hand cream completely round the stump just above and below where the TOP OF THE liner will be. This seems to stop the friction burns.

I need a edit button :laugh:

thanks guys - Mick I think your approach is close to what I do. Its the long hard days that are the killer; average days no issues.

thanks guys - Mick I think your approach is close to what I do. Its the long hard days that are the killer; average days no issues.

You are so right,

My way isn’t that brilliant I was hoping that there would be more feedback from other board members with different ways I’m more than willing to give anything a try, I find it hard to believe that we are the only ones that struggle with this. Especially as so many members have read this post and not commented on it.

ps hope you had a good christmas

You are so right,

My way isn’t that brilliant I was hoping that there would be more feedback from other board members with different ways I’m more than willing to give anything a try, I find it hard to believe that we are the only ones that struggle with this. Especially as so many members have read this post and not commented on it.

ps hope you had a good christmas

Mick,

First of all, {ann giving Mick the wolf whistle}. :wink: Secondly, I think people might be alittle embarrased to talk about this onlline. They shouldn't....we are all on here to make the prosthesis more comfy. Come on gents, if you know of any way to help out these guys, let them know.

I've been a BAK for 35 years and found that the long leg briefs shown in the photo are the best for not getting trapped in the socket.

Hey Caveman, don't really know where your coming from as I ahve not experienced the issues you have had. When I first started wearing my leg, I didn't like the liner right against my skin. I tried wearing a sock on my leg under the but that didn't work. Asked my leg guy if he had any thing and he gave me the following:

Liner-Liner Prosthetic Sock with X-static (The silver fiber)

Manufactured by Knit-rite Inc.

A prosthetic soc engineered to be worn under a liner, next to the skin.

-Relieves skin shear irrations and improves comfort with liners.

-Tested and proven benefical to amputees who wear liners as the primary interface.

-Thin material facilities grip.

-X-STATIC silver Fibers fights bacteria and odor: transports heat and moisture.

-Washable interface keeps liner cleaner and helps control skin irrtations.

-High stretch for improved fit: less sizes are required

http://www.knitrite.com/ - bad thing is they don't sell to the public.

I pull this on before I put my liner on. It pulls up far enough on my leg so the liner does not touch my skin. I helps a lot with the shearing on my skin and the sweating. Never have had any irritation on my leg since getting these. Hope this helps and is what your looking for.

Joe

From your profile, you're a BK, Joe. I might be wrong, but I think Caveman is an AK...? :unsure:

BK issues are slightly different to AK issues - I have both. :rolleyes:

Caveman - I'd use Alps prosthetic skin lotion instead of hand cream or talc.

Oh, and just be pleased you have a choice of pants! Us ladies don't have much option ... unless we are happy to wear 'unmentionables'! :ph34r:

I have been a LAK since 2005. I have experienced and experimented with everything posted here. I have found that I prefer boxers untucked and use Adaptaskin to prevent friction blisters. I use a seal in liner under and have a MAS socket. I can wear my prostetic from 7AM to about 11PM daily. I might also add that Adaptaskin really while riding a bike.

Thanks every one, I will try Adaptaskin and Alps prosthetic skin lotion to see what works for me, like I wrote I’m willing to try most things.

Lizzie2 wrote:-

Oh, and just be pleased you have a choice of pants! Us ladies don't have much option ... unless we are happy to wear 'unmentionables'! .

You have got to be kidding you ladies are totally spoilt in the undies department I should know I looked in my better half’s knickers draws and couldn’t believe there was such a choice no wonder I’m always skint with the amount of undies she buys

Well thanks again …………………………….take care Mick

Ps……………………Ann you made me blush ………………… :biggrin::biggrin: .xx.

the Adapt skin does work well. Of late have been using Waitrose baby butter (for bottoms)) which had rave reviews as a moisturiser in one of wife's magazines; also a fraction of the price than adapt skin.

Cant change liner with mus suction sockets (also stump shape precludes using a suction type liner)

happy new ones to all

For the last few months I have been trying an anti-chafing gel out it’s made by LANACANE.

For you in the UK you can get it over the counter at any chemist it’s about £ 7.50 ish (not sure as my better half got it for me)

All I can say it works very well, it does as the name suggest: - relieves & prevents chafing so no more sore spots.

For the last few months I have been trying an anti-chafing gel out it’s made by LANACANE.

For you in the UK you can get it over the counter at any chemist it’s about £ 7.50 ish (not sure as my better half got it for me)

All I can say it works very well, it does as the name suggest: - relieves & prevents chafing so no more sore spots.

Monistant also makes an anti-chafing powder gel. It use it on my residual limb before I put my liner on. It's great!

Oh....I order it from Amazon, 3 tubes in a pack. Good stuff.

this is a topic ive been trying to work on ever since i lost my leg. im a rak and ive had problems finding underwear that works

ive finally found a pair that seems to work there called hanes mens classic sport briefs

hanes-men-s-classic-tp_2422921777559457618.png

thats the best pic of them i can find but the sides on the outer hip or shorter i believe its 2-3 in

actually these are what im talking about

http://www.hanes.com/Hanes/Products/Men-Hanes/Men_ShopByCategory-Hanes/Men_Underwear-Hanes/Men_Underwear_Briefs-Hanes/1A0956.aspx

I have a CAT-CAM solid suction socket without liner and use all types of underwear without problems.I only take care that the skin at the end of the socket is always dry what is very difficult here in Brazil with high temperatures and an elevated percentage of air humidity.I use my leg more or less 14 hours a day.When I put my stump in the socket in the morning I always use a lot of powder in order to keep the skin dry.At night,before taking my shower,I examine the skin and if there is some initial sign of a reddening or burning of the skin,I use Betamethason cream in a fine layer on the affected part of the skin and let it have their effect during the night.Then in the morning I put my leg on without any problem.With the time going,the skin appears more like leather and is less sensitive at the upper end of the socket.

Joachim

LAK + LAE amp

i used to wear boxer shorts at the start of my amputee life

but i have changed to slip briefs in the last 4 years in the

winter or going to the limb center as well

but i have got into a habit of wearing no pants and just

wear 3/4 length shorts in the winter and in the summer to normal size

length shorts, i love it since i took of my foam cover and just

have the knee and poll all exposed :biggrin:

anyway im sure this LANACANE will come in handy with my new leg i have

because i do have some sore spots to deal with because of the socket

all the best from Steve im glad i have read the topic :wink: