Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
tomer

Ottobock are horrible

I'm so pi$$ed off at them.

Here's an email I wrote to them last week:

======================================================

Hello

I recently purchased C-Leg Compact S/N (blabla) and very happy with it.

During my trial period, I asked my prosthetist regarding the Compact warranty. After advising with you, he informed me I'll be able to extend the warranty after 3 years, just like the standard C-Leg.

Just before I received my own Compact, he told me the local importer for Ottobook (Chemitec) advised him that for the Compact system, unlike the "regular" C-Leg, it is not possible to extend the warranty for another 2 years.

As there's obviously some kind of misinformation regarding the warranty period, could you please clarify this issue for me as I don't understand why there's a difference warranty wise, between the Compact and normal C-Leg.

According to your website at http://www.ottobock.com/cps/rde/xchg/ob_co...s.xsl/7126.html

How is the C-Leg compact different from the C-Leg?

When developing the C-Leg compact, the increased need for security of those who are less mobile was the main priority. The mechatronically-controlled stance phase stability is a result of this focus. In contrast to the C-Leg, its hydraulic swing phase control is not electronically controlled. Furthermore, the C Leg compact does not include any additional modes available to the more active users who use the C-Leg.

I don't see any reference regarding the warranty extend option at the above.

For me, part of the increased security I looked forward to before purchasing an expensive C-Leg system, is the fact your product can be functional for years to come and therefore you provide the option of maintaining it for a 5 years period. As I do not require the additional modes the C-Leg provides, I decided to purchase the Compact system. I did not know about this major different between the two.

Could you kindly advise on the above.

Thank you and best regards

===================================

for some reason, i never received a reply but my prosthetist did ..

(the first part is missing but it lacks of any useful info)

========================================================

Please note that we have to confirm the information yo got from our local partner Chemitec regarding the warranty period of the C-leg compact. For this knee joint it is not possible to extend the warranty period to 5 years like the "regular" C-leg. The warranty for the C-leg compact is only valid for 3 years.

The service and warranty concept for the "regular" C-leg was optimzed (*this is how they spelled "optimized" ) on the basis of ten years of experience and over 16,000 fittings. Because of these experienced data within the aforesaid time frame OttoBock decided to extend the warranty period of this knee joint up to 5 years. As the C-leg compact is only available on the market since 4 years and we do not sell as much C-Leg compacts as the "regular" C-legs. These experiences are less and need to be gained within the future.

For this reason I regretfully have to let you know that it is not possible in your case to extend the warranty of your current knee joint. We hope for your kind understanding in this regard.

===========================================================

urgh!! If I had know this before I ordered the Compact, I would probably consider pay the extra money and go with the "normal" C-Leg!!

needless to say, I had to pay the full price of it, out of my own money as my insurance company (currently..) refused to put the money for it...!

Some good news though, Freedom Innovations Plie MPC Knee, is currently being tested in Israel..! if all goes well, Ottobock will soon have a "waterproof competitor" :biggrin: in our small AK amputees market...

I received a Compact knee in November. It belonged to a friend who passed away from cancer. It is about 2 years old with only about 6 month's use on it. He and his wife wanted me to have it. Otto Boch will not honor/transfer the 3-year warranty, but will examine the knee and tell me the cost of repairs. I am using a non-Otto Boch heavy duty foot, which they claimed would not work with their knee. It works fine. I am going to use it for as long as it works. Then I will decide if it is wiser and less expensive to repair it or to have the insurance pay 80% for a new Mauch Plus knee. Insurance is only into a new foot at 80% as I needed it regardless. I will say I like the knee's ability to self-lock when walking on ramps, stairs or if I trip.

I received a Compact knee in November. It belonged to a friend who passed away from cancer. It is about 2 years old with only about 6 month's use on it. He and his wife wanted me to have it. Otto Boch will not honor/transfer the 3-year warranty, but will examine the knee and tell me the cost of repairs. I am using a non-Otto Boch heavy duty foot, which they claimed would not work with their knee. It works fine. I am going to use it for as long as it works. Then I will decide if it is wiser and less expensive to repair it or to have the insurance pay 80% for a new Mauch Plus knee. Insurance is only into a new foot at 80% as I needed it regardless. I will say I like the knee's ability to self-lock when walking on ramps, stairs or if I trip.

Thay sound really helpful! .....not

Am I having a blonde moment, or are they actually saying that they're not sure how long the compact will actually last OR how good this product is in relation to the standard c-leg, so they're not prepared to warranty it?

That's just BS.

And yes, Otto Boch are p*ssing people off everywhere.....

The joys of holding a monopoly on grudge buys ...... :glare:

Am I having a blonde moment, or are they actually saying that they're not sure how long the compact will actually last OR how good this product is in relation to the standard c-leg, so they're not prepared to warranty it?

That's just BS.

that's exactly what they're saying.."mysteriously" the email never got to me, only to my leg guy..i only have the printed copy.

And there's more:

I also got their liner, which was cut with their special "our liners are thicker" scissors to my length. Short while after I was using it daily, it started tearing. Immediately i took pictures of the liner and sent it to my prosthetist. He forwarded the email with the pictures to them and got no reply. Then there was the big convention in Germany and he tried to find out if there's anything new about this - nothing.

Recently I couldn't wear the liner for more than 2-3 hours as it was hurting like hell. So he ordered a new one and paid for it..now I'm using my old Comfort liner which is more than 1 year old...

That's just BS.

My prosthesist told me when the C-leg first came out it was only rated for 225lbs and did not have the exended warranty. After thousands of knees in use the data showed they could be rated higher at 275lbs and would last longer. The Compact that I have is a newer model with less knees sold and hours of usage. Perhaps with more data sometime later the warranty will be extended for the Compact.

Interesting thread.

The "new" C-Leg ( the grey one) doesn´t need service every year. Only every second year is a service necessary. My C-Leg is now 5 years old and was sent to Vienna for service. I am waiting now, what has to be done. It now has some little problems around the hydaulic, might be expensive then.

That OB feet are mandatory might be a reason that they want to sell their own feet. The old one from bock...I walked a luxon max....were not so good and i broke it after 4 years. Now i wear an axtion...this foot is much better.

At the monent I wear a variflex under my service knee...maybe this foot saves too much enery and the valves in the hydrolic have to work too much?

Ciao Thomas

Interesting thread.

The "new" C-Leg ( the grey one) doesn´t need service every year. Only every second year is a service necessary. My C-Leg is now 5 years old and was sent to Vienna for service. I am waiting now, what has to be done. It now has some little problems around the hydaulic, might be expensive then.

That OB feet are mandatory might be a reason that they want to sell their own feet. The old one from bock...I walked a luxon max....were not so good and i broke it after 4 years. Now i wear an axtion...this foot is much better.

At the monent I wear a variflex under my service knee...maybe this foot saves too much enery and the valves in the hydrolic have to work too much?

Ciao Thomas

yes they call the new C-Leg "C-Leg2" and the Compact is basically the same , just missing the 2nd mode and the more advanced remote as the Compact remote can only lock the knee and release it.

The feet issue is another horror story by itself. I mean, obviously the C can work well with any good feet BUT it's goodbye to your warranty . although so far i'm quite happy with the 1C30 Trias , but again, i'm not so active (LAK+SCI+TBI.....)

Seems, that they see everything from knee down as a "system"?

I bet u will loose also warranty, when you build in your Ford parts from a Mercedes? :laugh:

First - THOMAS!!!!!!!!! (((hugs)))) long time no speak, hope you are well! :smile:

I bet u will loose also warranty, when you build in your Ford parts from a Mercedes? :laugh:

And then, ok, so now that you put it THAT way...... :tongue:

hi ally,

much thanks for the war welcome.......but i don´t understand your last sentence :blush:

there are always ups and downs in live...and in the moment i am sometihing in between. :laugh:

Hi Thomas..........damn language barrier :tongue:

Well, I have always complained about the fact that you are limited to OB feet with a C-Leg. But when you said "ford parts in a mercedes", it kind of made me look at the c-leg & foot in a new light.

:glare:

But I still think that amputees should have the right to choose their own bits.....

Thanks for the explanation Ally,got it now...next time for me please in simple words... :blush:

Amputees can choose their bits, but if the want to have warranty they have to check the rules of the game first.

Is it really so wrong, when a foot is aligned to a knee and vice versa? Can you ask OB to align C-Leg for all avaiable feet? And give full warrany then, when the information given from the foot is necessary for the function of the knee?

If there is a malfunction , there will be especially in the USA some lawyers, which are keen to make some money. So they want to be on the safe side.

BTW...in my opinion the OB feet are nowerdays much better, when I remeber my Luxon Max.....was like walking with a plank, when I compare with the Axtion now.

i think it's wrong. Why should we limit our self to a specific feet ? how the knee's warranty has got anything to do with the type of feet one uses...? it is all one huuuuuuge BS with only one thought in mind: making money. OB obviously know they have something good going on, and they're using it all the way. or in other words, if you want "the best" knee on the market, you should bend down as we have a feet coming for you from behind..

Hi Tomer,

are you limited to just one knee? As I know , there a many different knees on the market, which have similar or better features then the C-Leg light and eventually to a lower price.

When you bought your knee, I suppose, you knew about the limitation to few feet. Why are you complaining now? What type of OB foot are you actually using?

Ciao Thomas

actually, i am limited to the C-Leg as currently you can't get similar MPC knee (Rheo, IP Plus,Plea..) in Israel ...

but that's just a small matter compared to what i described on the 1st post.

I got 1C30 feet with the C

Thats the Trias foot, one of the better ones. Which foot would you prefer then? And do you think, that OB will control what foot you are actually wearing? :cool:

As I wrote, I actual wear a Variflex under my C-Leg. When I hopefully get my own "false" knee back, I will use the Axtion again ( I carry too much meat around for the Trias or are my bones so heavy? :rolleyes: ) The main problem for the change is to find the right lengh for the "shin pipe", because the feet build in different heights.

The warranty problem is really strange.

Thats the Trias foot, one of the better ones. Which foot would you prefer then? And do you think, that OB will control what foot you are actually wearing? :cool:

As I wrote, I actual wear a Variflex under my C-Leg. When I hopefully get my own "false" knee back, I will use the Axtion again ( I carry too much meat around for the Trias or are my bones so heavy? :rolleyes: ) The main problem for the change is to find the right lengh for the "shin pipe", because the feet build in different heights.

The warranty problem is really strange.

can't answer that..yet..i don't think my leg guy would appreciate using a none OB foot as he's a "big fan" of them :angry:

The foot I am using is a better foot than the one that came with the Compact. It is all about the money.

hi, just want to tell about my experiences with a variflex in connection with a c-leg. i am an active user with about 118 kg.

the variflex saves too much energy for the c-leg ;-) has always to go in the "brakes", when the foot is moving forward so the c-leg was damaged.

maintenance from otto bock gave no warranty anymore after 5 years, repair about 11€. new hydrolic necessary, new frame and new "shin" hose.

got today my new c-leg. took just 24 hours from order to delivery...use now axtion foot again. will see how it works now. ;-)