Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
darren

biker ampute

well hello there people i had a bike crash on the 06/05/2008 where a lorry crashed into me resulting me having alot of broken bones and my right leg amputated above the knee and omg it takes some getting used to walking on a prosthetic leg so if anyone has any advice or tips and tricks then id be very happy to hear them and also what types of knees and feet are good .thanx hope to have some good replies

Hi Darren. I lost my leg in a motorcycle/big rig accident in Aug 2005. You are right in that it is hard learning to walk on a prostetic leg. I do get along well now with out the the use of any assisted devices. I use the Otto Bock C-Leg and have a MAS socket with a seal in liner.

Hi Darren. I lost my leg in a motorcycle/big rig accident in Aug 2005. You are right in that it is hard learning to walk on a prostetic leg. I do get along well now with out the the use of any assisted devices. I use the Otto Bock C-Leg and have a MAS socket with a seal in liner.

well i walk without aids even tho i have only had leg since september and am now just waiting for the endolite kx06 and the ottobock 3r60 as nhs are gunna let me try them to see which is best for me

HI Darren,

I'm an above knee too and a fellow biker. The best advice I can think of to help with your walking is not to throw away the walking aids too early. I did and ended up with back problems and all sorts which took about a year to sort out.

I tried loads of different things to improve my walking from pilates, swimming, even having thera-band tied to various bit of me and trying to walk while my physio pulled on them (don't ask). The way that I found worked the best was to visualise a two chop sticks crossing each other in the centre of my pelvis. One going through my hips and the other going front to back. When you walk you want to try and keep the one going through your hips level while allowing the other to tip forwards and backwards to help activate the knee.

This sounds strange but once you get your head around it, it does work and its much better than throwing your whole pelvis around to get the leg to swing forwards. You'll end up using less energy and walking more naturally. My walking is no good enough that even my physio struggles to pick holes in it (when I concentrate) and she knows where I make all my mistakes!

Fancy knees are great but if you don't get the basics right you won't get the most out of them.

Right, enough about walking, do you still ride? and if so what? I've got a Ducati 1098S, a Kawasaki ZX6R, and a Honda CRF250X for off road fun.

HI Darren,

I'm an above knee too and a fellow biker. The best advice I can think of to help with your walking is not to throw away the walking aids too early. I did and ended up with back problems and all sorts which took about a year to sort out.

I tried loads of different things to improve my walking from pilates, swimming, even having thera-band tied to various bit of me and trying to walk while my physio pulled on them (don't ask). The way that I found worked the best was to visualise a two chop sticks crossing each other in the centre of my pelvis. One going through my hips and the other going front to back. When you walk you want to try and keep the one going through your hips level while allowing the other to tip forwards and backwards to help activate the knee.

This sounds strange but once you get your head around it, it does work and its much better than throwing your whole pelvis around to get the leg to swing forwards. You'll end up using less energy and walking more naturally. My walking is no good enough that even my physio struggles to pick holes in it (when I concentrate) and she knows where I make all my mistakes!

Fancy knees are great but if you don't get the basics right you won't get the most out of them.

Right, enough about walking, do you still ride? and if so what? I've got a Ducati 1098S, a Kawasaki ZX6R, and a Honda CRF250X for off road fun.

im no i dont still ride i didnt think a above knee amp would be able to how is that possible .i had 2 bikes one was a 05 gsxr1000 and the other was a 06 cbr600rr .so where are u from

OH yeah, AK amps can ride, in fact you can ride with most disabilities although some are easier than others.

For example as you're missing your right leg you'll still be able to operate everything except the rear brake which you can get moved to the bars as either a thumb brake or a double lever system (there are several about).

I'm missing my left leg so that means I have to have a gear shifter fitted before I can even test ride a bike. This means that I have to rely on a combination of gut instinct, magazine reviews and my best mates opinion (he test rides for me) before I buy a bike but this has never really been an issue.

One thing you do have to do is inform the DVLA but they only want to know what adaptations you need and then they write this on your license. No doubt you've already told the DVLA about your amp before you started driving a car again (if not do it quickly as your license will be invalid).

Do a sreach for the NABD, its the national association for bikers with a disability. It's run mostly by harley types but they support all bikers with disabilities getting back on the road.

Oh, now for the best bit. If you buy an adapted vehicle it's VAT free, but this discount is applied to the whole invoice for the bike as it leaves the dealer (which could include a new fuel injection system, exhaust etc.). :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Sorry forgot to say,

I'm form Norwich

Welcome to the forum lots of good people here with years of experience

Welcome Darren. I too am a RAK due to the motorcycle. My accident was March 08 and I got my C-leg the end of Aug. I got back to my job the end of October (assistant golf course superintendent). Walking gets better the more you practice. The treadmill was my friend through this whole ordeal.

I just bought another bike '76 BMW R75/6. I was going to trike it out but have found some automatic kickstands that will make stability a better issue. I am going to flip the rear brake over to the left side to be a heel setup.

again welcome and ask lots of questions. there are lots of answers around here.

:biggrin:

RTA Blakbird lorry. right above knee, left messed. Nov 2006

I have now managed to do everything I used to do before, sometimes takes longer, sometimes hurts. life is good and full.

Welcome.

used to do 20k miles per annum, would have a divorce if got on a bike again. fancey an aril atom tho'