Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
darren

prosthetic leg

{Thanks Higgy....will do.} And I agree, it is so hard to keep your mouth shut & watch hubby do things he's never done & hasn't a clue. But they learn in time & we learned to keep our mouths shut {{{most of the time}}} :laugh::laugh::rolleyes::ohmy::ohmy::laugh::laugh:

I have a with and a without. Trousers hang better with, but thats about it. Certainly wouldn't spend big dosh.

My first leg came equipped with a cover... I've kept it covered ever since, mainly because my leg guy does such beautiful cosmesis work that it seems a pity not to take advantage of it! However, it is a personal choice, and there is a part of me that really likes the snazzy-looking metal legs with the laminated sockets. Some day, I hope to have two legs — formal and casual, covered and "naked."

Right now, I'm having a bit of a problem with my cover...... My current leg has been a challenge to get fitted properly. Since the new socket was originally built, and the new cover made, I've undergone a lengthy series of adjustments to get the alignment right. The most recent series of adjustments was yesterday. The fit now seems to be pretty darn good... and my once-lovely cover is starting to look a bit "warped" and tatty. My release button, which has always been discreetly hidden, is now bulging out the side: it looks like my leg is about to pay out a jackpot in quarters!

I think, if I were starting to go through this now, that I'd try going without the cover at least until we were close to having the "correct" fit... oh well........ :smile:

"Cherylm"

My prosthetist won't cover my leg until it is a definate fit...I have to go bare until then {I hate it}! :smile:

To cover or not to cover that is the question. Never have had a cover and found only when I was cycling in the UK or Europe that it was a real issuse with others. Many when I would visit limb centeres there would remark why I was riding with a leg not finished? The Scots really commented that it was not proper to show the hardware. Here in the states to cover is so much more expensive and frankly they last a short time if you are at all active. and personaly with a cover it look fake and I rather have the plyon showing than some foam that does not match my skin color.

dan

post-484-1233268076_thumb.jpgI prefer to fake out the public into thinking I have both feet and so will always keep covered. I wear a knee brace to separate the real skin from the fake. I keep my real skin tanned to the same color I chose for my prosthesis. I can't say what material it is but the skin is fairly realistic and very durable (lasting over a couple eyars between skin-jobs). I love it. I'm very active and only once tore the flesh of my leg when getting out of a sofa bed (you know, those metal bolts sticking out sides).

I'll try to attach a pic. It's a few years old but it's all I've got in a full length.

I don't flaunt my leg, but like Amy, I prefer not to advertise it to the world unless it's unavoidable, like when I'm using my running foot. I typically keep my leg covered with long pants but no synthetic skin or anything like that. I'm too hard on it anyway and the coverings never last.

Couldn't be bothered with a covering! When I was a baby amp it bothered me a bit, I wanted to look "normal". Don't give a toss now. :tongue:

Here's my socket....

masfinal.jpg

Couldn't be bothered with a covering! When I was a baby amp it bothered me a bit, I wanted to look "normal". Don't give a toss now. :tongue:

Snap... ditto that...

I'm an AK, and one thing I have though, is a knee ball which just protects trousers from suffering rubbing against the mechanics of the knee, and makes the knee slightly more normal when wearing long trousers.

In the summer, I wear shorts as much as possible, mainly for comfort.

I am also AK. I mostly wear a BK cosmesis. Tis foam thing with the nylons on top :rolleyes:

THe foam has a velcro on the backside from top to bottom, that I can remove it quick, when I wear shorts. The I like the robocop look, wehn I wear jeans the cosmesis protects them and socks fit better.

Ally, what is a knee ball. I'd like to go without a cover but hate the way my knees look when I'm sitting. Could you post a photo.

Ally, what is a knee ball. I'd like to go without a cover but hate the way my knees look when I'm sitting. Could you post a photo.

Mmmmmm, I'm not sure.

I think that with some knees, you can ge a plastic cover for the knee that makes it look more "round". I know that when I used a Total knee, it really looked weird (with no knee-ball-cover-thing) and I didn't even know you could get a cover to make it look round and protect your trousers.

I use a 3R60 now, and I still don't know if there is an additional cover for the knee.

I reckon, either way, it will still look a bit odd. Then again, what do I know.....

I must say though, that for a couple of years in the beginning, I had a foam cover over the whole leg. And THAT (trust me) made my knee look even MORE strange!!!!

Each to his own......sorry I've not been much help :rolleyes:

A kneeball is simply a ball shaped piece of closed cell foam, to make a knee shape under trousers. It's usually used in conjunction with other pieces of foam and plastic sleeves to make a discontinuous cover for an AK leg.

I am chopped above the knee.

Trousers hang better with a simple calf shaped foam covering. Anything above knee up will restrict movement.

Personally not at all emabarrased by being "on show" and metalic!

ok I posted eralier - not been here for a while!