Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
darren

prosthetic leg

hello people im a above knee amp im just wondering wether or not to leave the leg metal with a design on it or cover it up with that foamy stuff what ya reckon?????

Hey Darren,

I'm a LBK, but I guess I can put in my 2 cents worth. I have one of each. The one with the cover I wear to work and out in public. Just got this one so the socket fits better and is more comfortable. My old leg was bare, I wear it when working in the barn or outside, like know I use it when I'm pushing snow around. I don't really care much for the cover, it doesn't even look like real skin. It has no definition, but it does help to keep my pants looking normal. Without it my pants always flatened out around the ankle. I thought my little girls would like it better, but I asked my 7 year old and she said she liked the metal one better. Guess it really doesn't matter to me as long as I can walk again.

Joe

From the female point of view here...

I'm a LBK, and I don't like the covered legs.. my own personal choice.. When I got my first "covered" leg, it immediately turned blue from my jeans.. Plus, here at home on the farm, there are just too many variables that would/will tear the covering. I'd rather have nothing than have a tacky looking covering on because jeans had faded on or it was tore.. looks sort of strange in the summer time. Sometimes, the CP's (or rather their lab techs,) don't always get it glued quite right again after working on it.To me, they feel like they drag inside the pant leg too. Again, as I stated before, after having both types, those are my preferences, and there are plenty of people who would rather have it the other way,which, is perfectly fine..

What is your opinion about it?

Hi Darren..

I am also an AKA and I have tried the foam covering but found it more difficult to bend the knee so I opted to wear as is..

Jen

Hi Darren,

I have always had the open type and I’ve had 4-5 right legs and 3 left legs. I did have one of my sockets decorated with a cloth. It was wrapped before the hardener was applied. It was a colorful motorcycle and kids use to ask me about my leg when they saw it. Kids ask the best question and make the funniest remarks. Their parents on the other hand want to hide under a rock. Thought I had a photo of it. I'll keep looking or I'll take another photo of it.

Paul

post-1914-1230705283_thumb.jpg

Darren,

Me, I'm a covered leg person {as Higgy knows} wouldn't go without it. I hate the stares you receive when in stores & other places. It's good enough that no-one realizes its not mine. Guess I don't want the questions either. Mine didn't turn color from jeans or any other slacks or pants and I don't have any trouble bending my knee but I am a BKA which makes a difference, I'm sure. It's really up to what YOU want. No set rules., I will say this, it makes the leg alittle heavier with the cosmetic covering.

If I worked outside alot I don't think I would have it covered. My opinion. :smile:

Darren,

Me, I'm a covered leg person {as Higgy knows} wouldn't go without it. I hate the stares you receive when in stores & other places. It's good enough that no-one realizes its not mine. Guess I don't want the questions either. Mine didn't turn color from jeans or any other slacks or pants and I don't have any trouble bending my knee but I am a BKA which makes a difference, I'm sure. It's really up to what YOU want. No set rules., I will say this, it makes the leg alittle heavier with the cosmetic covering.

If I worked outside alot I don't think I would have it covered. My opinion. :smile:

well thankyou for your replies people i shall try without the cover i think as at the moment its covered i shall have to think of a fancy design lol any ideas

Hello Darren.

Every one of us is different when it comes to covered or uncovered; I guess it’s a personal choice.

A couple of things to watch out for if you do decide to go with the foam covering is it will in the early days affect/restrict the swing of your limb until the foam creases, and if you ever kneel down and it gets wet you will find that the wet spot will show through your trousers the nexted day.

And don’t get me started on the colour of the tights or the fact they run as soon as you catch then climbing over the fence or some thing. I don’t know how the ladies manage so well.

My wife (better half) nearly divorced me when she found out I was nicking all her stockings to cover my limb , she didn’t mind the skin coloured ones but got a bit huffy when her best black fishnet lacy tops ones appeared on my limb ,( I cant understand why). :happy::biggrin:

for me my leg is uncovered I have found out in a short period of time trying to make your arty leg look like a real one is just a waist of time unless you have lots of ££££££££££££££££. But that’s just me ……………….Mick

Hello Darren.

Every one of us is different when it comes to covered or uncovered; I guess it’s a personal choice.

A couple of things to watch out for if you do decide to go with the foam covering is it will in the early days affect/restrict the swing of your limb until the foam creases, and if you ever kneel down and it gets wet you will find that the wet spot will show through your trousers the nexted day.

And don’t get me started on the colour of the tights or the fact they run as soon as you catch then climbing over the fence or some thing. I don’t know how the ladies manage so well.

My wife (better half) nearly divorced me when she found out I was nicking all her stockings to cover my limb , she didn’t mind the skin coloured ones but got a bit huffy when her best black fishnet lacy tops ones appeared on my limb ,( I cant understand why). :happy::biggrin:

for me my leg is uncovered I have found out in a short period of time trying to make your arty leg look like a real one is just a waist of time unless you have lots of ££££££££££££££££. But that’s just me ……………….Mick

thats that sorted then looks like the robocop look it shall be lol

I'm lucky enough to actually have one of each - one covered and one not. I have to say, my favorite is the uncovered one. I had the socket laminated with peace signs and it's really "groovy". I like the covered one when I want to wear a skirt or dress. Doesn't bother me to wear the uncovered one with shorts. Go figure.

Since 1980 I had a foam cover over a frame and Mauch knee. I was embarassed about the leg for a long time. Just recently I reveived an Otto Boch Compact microprocessor knee without a foam cover. To be honest I liked how the foam cover made my leg look like the real thing with pants on. You can tell there is a difference with the Compact. But I do not care. I am now showing the high tech knee off to my friends and fellow gym members. My students think its cool. If in the future I have to go back to the Mauch I will get the Plus version without a cover.

Since 1980 I had a foam cover over a frame and Mauch knee. I was embarassed about the leg for a long time. Just recently I reveived an Otto Boch Compact microprocessor knee without a foam cover. To be honest I liked how the foam cover made my leg look like the real thing with pants on. You can tell there is a difference with the Compact. But I do not care. I am now showing the high tech knee off to my friends and fellow gym members. My students think its cool. If in the future I have to go back to the Mauch I will get the Plus version without a cover.

ive seen some legs with designs on them how do u go about having that done

ive seen some legs with designs on them how do u go about having that done

Your prosthetist may know of an artist or other amputees he sees may. I have seen some cool painted AK tops.

A lot of prosthetists will laminate a material with a design on it that you like if you take in when getting a socket made... Especially if you find one you like.....Some of them have some things of their own too..You will have to ask him how he does designs on sockets......

You can pretty much get any fabric laminated onto the outside of your socket. I have the prosthetists worst nightmare on mine, silk. A material with a bit of stretch is better as it will conform to the shape of your socket better. If you prefer the thermoplastic sockets you can get some transfers however you are much more limited in your choices, need to be bought in specially. As for my leg, I leave it uncovered, I am kidding nobody when I have it foamed up and a silicone finish would last maybe a day at most for me.

You can pretty much get any fabric laminated onto the outside of your socket. I have the prosthetists worst nightmare on mine, silk. A material with a bit of stretch is better as it will conform to the shape of your socket better. If you prefer the thermoplastic sockets you can get some transfers however you are much more limited in your choices, need to be bought in specially. As for my leg, I leave it uncovered, I am kidding nobody when I have it foamed up and a silicone finish would last maybe a day at most for me.

well people i thankyou all for your great advice

Hi Darren,

I wore a cover over my leg until I went to the ACA (Amputation Coalition of American) conference in Atlanta last spring. So many there did not have covers. I had no problem with people seeing my leg and I was constantly riping the cover at the heal. I got a new prosthetic system--Ossur's suction and a new foot--that had an adjustable heel--and covering the leg was going to prevent problems with taking the leg off and adjusting the ankle. From what I saw I realized one did not have to have the leg covered. The guys who make my prosthesis are great and I told them I wanted a "pretty" leg and they said just bring in the fabric you want and we will laminate it on. They are so great that when I got the leg--it looked great--I realized they did not give me back the left over material. The next time I went in they presented me with a matching leg bag--I was so surprised and totally appreciated their thoughtfulness--and this is a public system as I live in Canada.

Peace, Beth Marie

So...what's on your leg, Beth Marie?

The only time I wish I had a covered leg is when I wear slacks. There's just something about dressing up and then showing that skinny ankle where the sock doesn't fit well.

The only time I wish I had a covered leg is when I wear slacks. There's just something about dressing up and then showing that skinny ankle where the sock doesn't fit well.

"Neal"

You got that right!! Same way when wearing a dress :blink: I am hijacking your link. I think I have told you I have several legs that are just in the way.....where do you send your old ones? I believe you told us you donated them to an organization. Do you have to pay shipping on them or does the place receiving them do that? Thanks, ann

Hi Darren,

I started off in the beginning with it covered and now would not have it any other way. Just a matter of prefence I guess. I'm sort of with Ann on this one! :smile:

Sheila

LBK

13yrs and still going!! :biggrin:

I think I have told you I have several legs that are just in the way.....where do you send your old ones? I believe you told us you donated them to an organization. Do you have to pay shipping on them or does the place receiving them do that? Thanks, ann

Ann, you can ship your legs to this place

http://www.limbsforlife.org/

and they will use the componets in third world countries to build legs...

I think that there is a place in Texas that is run by some prosthetists but I'm not sure if they use the componets there, or if they just find ways of funding legs for people who can't afford them.

I have shipped a leg to the Limbs for Life before..

My first leg came equipped with a cover... I've kept it covered ever since, mainly because my leg guy does such beautiful cosmesis work that it seems a pity not to take advantage of it! However, it is a personal choice, and there is a part of me that really likes the snazzy-looking metal legs with the laminated sockets. Some day, I hope to have two legs — formal and casual, covered and "naked."

Right now, I'm having a bit of a problem with my cover...... My current leg has been a challenge to get fitted properly. Since the new socket was originally built, and the new cover made, I've undergone a lengthy series of adjustments to get the alignment right. The most recent series of adjustments was yesterday. The fit now seems to be pretty darn good... and my once-lovely cover is starting to look a bit "warped" and tatty. My release button, which has always been discreetly hidden, is now bulging out the side: it looks like my leg is about to pay out a jackpot in quarters!

I think, if I were starting to go through this now, that I'd try going without the cover at least until we were close to having the "correct" fit... oh well........ :smile:

So...what's on your leg, Beth Marie?

Hi Marie,

The laminate is a blue and white with small red hearts--it is quilting material. I put it and another piece of fabric (with colourful lady bugs on it) for the weekend and decided I really liked the quilting fabric.