Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
darren

driving

happy new year all , just a quick question has anybody drove using there left foot to accelerate and brake if so is it easy????????????

Hi, happy new year, I drive using my left foot and it's really easy once you get used to it! I drive an automatic and in my car you can change the accelerator pedal so that it can either be on the left side for me to drive or on the usual right side for anyone else. I used to drive a manual car before I lost my leg so I had to re-learn driving this way but it has been absolutely fine for me.

happy new year all , just a quick question has anybody drove using there left foot to accelerate and brake if so is it easy????????????

Hi again Darren. I have the left foot accelerator and at first it was freaky to use, but I got used to it. When you have no other choice and dont have 800 bucks for hand controls, the 400 dollar option is what I chose. I felt so much better after being able to get back into the car and felt more independent. so.... go for it.

Hi again Darren. I have the left foot accelerator and at first it was freaky to use, but I got used to it. When you have no other choice and dont have 800 bucks for hand controls, the 400 dollar option is what I chose. I felt so much better after being able to get back into the car and felt more independent. so.... go for it.

looks like i be playing bumper cars for a while then hahahaha

I drive standard unmodified autos with my left foot, no issues... some will say if you do alot of driving you should be careful not to get back problems, but I haven't had any problems in twenty five years...

Hi,

I have been using a left foot accelerator for about 4 1/2 years--even before the amputation when I could not use my right foot. As was said, at first it was a little freaky as I really had to think every time I needed to brake. Now it is second nature and I am so grateful for it.

Peace, Beth Marie

Hi darren

Yes I have also been driving left foot since April last year.

I had to change my car for an automatic and the adaption can be taken on and off so that either myself or my husband can drive it. He's too chicken to try left foot!!

I went out with a girl from the mobility centre in one of their cars a few times while I was waiting for my car to come just to get used to it. It also had the added bonus of someone sitting in the passenger seat with a brake!

Seemed a bit weird at first but now is really 'normal'

Take care

Tracy

yes I do; it is easy.Have car converted as a tax break

Hi there

I have used my left foot for accelerator and brakes since my amputation in 1995. Absolutely no problem.

I had the conversion done....where they move the accelerator over to the left, but only so I could claim the rebate on a new car price because of disabed 'issues'. I've never bothered using it.

Ally

Hi,

I just wanted to add a new option for you. Depending on how much control you have of your right foot/leg. It is also possible (and easy to learn) to drive using both feet. I am 19 and finally got my license after trying many different ways. Use your left foot for the brake and right foot for gas. Best way is to start in an empty/ dead end street or parking lot and practice. This also makes it possible that if for some reason you were the only other person with a license and needed to drive, you can drive any car without worries. I was told it was illegal (in Alabama) to drive with prosthetics, but after investigation no such law was found. Some people just think it's dangerous, but having a sound fully controlable left foot for brake and a piece of metal for the gas works for me and got me a license with no retrictions.

Just thought I'd add my experience for anyone interested or going through the same problem.

--Darcy

--Alabama

Hi,

I just wanted to add a new option for you. Depending on how much control you have of your right foot/leg. It is also possible (and easy to learn) to drive using both feet. I am 19 and finally got my license after trying many different ways. Use your left foot for the brake and right foot for gas. Best way is to start in an empty/ dead end street or parking lot and practice. This also makes it possible that if for some reason you were the only other person with a license and needed to drive, you can drive any car without worries. I was told it was illegal (in Alabama) to drive with prosthetics, but after investigation no such law was found. Some people just think it's dangerous, but having a sound fully controlable left foot for brake and a piece of metal for the gas works for me and got me a license with no retrictions.

Just thought I'd add my experience for anyone interested or going through the same problem.

--Darcy

--Alabama

Mmmm, trying to imagine this using my 3R60 knee - I think I would be hell on the road. I reckon it would be fine for a BK though.....AK's?? Scary thought :unsure:

Hi,

--Darcy

--Alabama

Mmmm, trying to imagine this using my 3R60 knee - I think I would be hell on the road. I reckon it would be fine for a BK though.....AK's?? Scary thought :unsure:

If I remember correctly, it's not legal to drive an automatic transmission vehicle in the UK, using both feet - one on the gas and one on the brake. However, it is legal to use two feet to drive manual transmisisons. :rolleyes: If you have one good leg, why not just use that? :smile:

As for AK's ... I think it would be just the slightest bit dangerous ... :ph34r:

My husband is a RBK and he drives a normal manual car, he uses his left leg for the clutch and his right for the accelerator & brake just like before he lost his leg. He loves driving and was itching to get back behind the wheel so as soon as he got his prosthetic leg he got our neighbour to take him to an industrial estate to practice driving (I can't drive). The only difference now is he sort of drives from his knee instead of the ankle, if you know what I mean.

I am in the States and am a bilateral below knee amputee. I have always used both legs to drive, left to brake, right to accelerate so it was natural for me to try it after my surgery a year and a half ago. Not sure why, but there were about 4 years of students when I was growing up that were taught that way...it turned out to be a blessing in disguise!

After the initial test drives to assure myself that I was safe on the road and that my reaction times were still good..I have had no problems driving with both legs, no adjustments to the pedals and no hand controls. I made sure that our Department of Motor Vehicles in Illinois was in agreement and they were...

Good luck!!

Well,

I have two manuals (car and truck) that I drive on a daily basis. Both are 5 speeds and I have no issues driving. Lots of people wonder how I can feel when the clutch starts to engage, I tell them That I can still feel the different vibration and can tell when the clutch engages. I've never had to get any type of modifications done to any of my cars. Have a Great Day!!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: Jerry

I have had my left accelerator now for 6 months and no problems. I did take a two hour course to learn and do have the restriction on my license. Being a RAK I just don't feel confident to try it without it. My golf cart at work however, is not modified, I just slide over to the other side to drive. So my focus changes on what I am driving, car or cart since the gas and brake are different for each.

Just think how much you focus on doing everything else and driving will be second nature in no time.

Hi being a new amputee and a right below the knee amputee & live in ohio when i get to getting able to try to drive again is there anything i gotta do like add something to my license & do i have to put in a left side accelerator if i find out i can drive with no problems without moving the accelerator ? My car is a automatic transmission . i'm sorry if all this has been answered before but being a new amputee trying to soak in alot of imformation but i'm trying

JLWEBB

I am in the same boat as you. I have been praticing on the weekend at a friends ranch

driving with my leg as normal. The left foot on the accelorator tweaks my back

so I dont do it very often.

coues

derrick

Hi being a new amputee and a right below the knee amputee & live in ohio when i get to getting able to try to drive again is there anything i gotta do like add something to my license & do i have to put in a left side accelerator if i find out i can drive with no problems without moving the accelerator ? My car is a automatic transmission . i'm sorry if all this has been answered before but being a new amputee trying to soak in alot of imformation but i'm trying

There are some right ak/bk's who can drive as usual. I am rbk and have a left foot adapter. Took no time to get used to and wouldn't be without it.

Thanks mmarie & derrick for your replys i think i'll see how i do without changeing my car if i can't get used to it that way i'll go with the left footed way

There is a portable left foot accelorator.

I am looking into it myself. http://www.plfa.org/

Derrick

Thanks for the site on the portable accelerator Derrick i saved it & that will be helpful for me & others that read this posting

I use a left foot accelerator pedal. I have for 8 years now. :) I'm still waiting for the hapless thief who doesn't know to remove it and tries to steal the vehicle. ROFL... should be good for some laughs :)

I drive a pick-up truck (nice big pedals). I haven't modified the pedal arrangement and I just use my left foot for throttle and brake. Works for me.

Tamara?? I hope it's an automatic.. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: I had to re-adjust to drive my jeep when I didn't have a leg... seriously do what ever you want and be yourself.... Jerry