Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
darren

driving

Yes, I only drive an automatic. I actually drove a 5-speed manual pick-up around on my grandparents farm, but that was only at low speeds to do chores.

I guess you can get used to anything if you want to.......

My BF is a HD and he is a landscaper. He has 2 trucks that are manual. He duct tapes a stick to the gas pedal which he operates then with his hand, and uses his right leg for the clutch and brakes. We haven't invented a traffic law here yet that says you can't do that....but I suppose when he redoes his licence they may endorse it (they didn't endorse mine so I just shut up).

We went down to the coast recently and because we were both disabled, we were allowed to take the 4x4 onto the beach. Fun :tongue:

Ah, the joys.....

:rolleyes:

on this driving with the left footed accelerator pedal since my amputation is from a injury from my job workers comp in ohio is going to pay to have one put in my car but first i have to go to a rehab place and drive thier car with a left footed petal in it and be avaluated and then they said after that i have to go to the ohio bmv to go through just the driving test to get on it my license that i am a right below the knee & that i was tested on this left footed pedal .

If workers' comp is paying for it you'll have to jump thru whatever hoops they want you to. The state voc/rehab was going to pay for mine but wanted me to go about a 6 hr drive from here to learn to use it AND it was going to be about 6 months before they could schedule me. My husband took the car to a local place, got the adapter put on and I've never looked back. Best $250 I ever spent. Now, whether my drivers license is valid might be a different story :blush:

As a RBK, I just use my prosthesis and drive like normal, since switching to an active vac system, couldnt even pretend to do this when I was in the Pin system.

thanks for all of your postings on this left footed accelerator and the test i gotta go through , but i guess its good in a way i'll be legal in all ways with workers comp and the state then no one can say nothing later on .