Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Falstaff1485

Some Good News

I have just got back from my limb fitting centre at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital at Stanmore. I had a recast in October after a lovely holiday in Spain, when I was walking well. The new socket was fitted to the pylon of the leg wonkily, and had to be constantly realigned until there was no more give. The prosthetist who did this leg was new to me and didn’t do a check socket because he didn’t do them.

Anyway after 4 months of poor balance, pain, growing loss of confidence and almost zero walking, I went back to Stanmore saying, very politely, that I thought the situation was not right; I was transferred to the head clinician who was a completely refreshing change. He looked at my old leg, where I could not by this time get the pin into the clutch mechanism and with a wonderful Gallic shrug (he’s French) said that the old one would have to go and a new leg would be produced forthwith. I had a recast, the check socket was produced the following day, I went home in my wet leg and a week later I returned to have the new leg fitted.

My leggist was meticulous, thorough and professional. After 90 minutes I had a leg that was amazingly comfortable and perfectly aligned. I walked to my car as if I was walking with two natural legs. I felt that I could have danced through the corridors.

It’s lovely to report something good!

Regards and a Happy New Year to you all.

Roger

Yay!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

I have just got back from my limb fitting centre at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital at Stanmore. I had a recast in October after a lovely holiday in Spain, when I was walking well. The new socket was fitted to the pylon of the leg wonkily, and had to be constantly realigned until there was no more give. The prosthetist who did this leg was new to me and didn't do a check socket because he didn't do them.

Anyway after 4 months of poor balance, pain, growing loss of confidence and almost zero walking, I went back to Stanmore saying, very politely, that I thought the situation was not right; I was transferred to the head clinician who was a completely refreshing change. He looked at my old leg, where I could not by this time get the pin into the clutch mechanism and with a wonderful Gallic shrug (he's French) said that the old one would have to go and a new leg would be produced forthwith. I had a recast, the check socket was produced the following day, I went home in my wet leg and a week later I returned to have the new leg fitted.

My leggist was meticulous, thorough and professional. After 90 minutes I had a leg that was amazingly comfortable and perfectly aligned. I walked to my car as if I was walking with two natural legs. I felt that I could have danced through the corridors.

It's lovely to report something good!

Regards and a Happy New Year to you all.

Roger

Wonderful news! I've been going through somewhat of the same thing the last month or so. My original legs no longer fit of course, my new so called WillowWood vacuum legs aren't working out, so everything has been hurting for the last month. Walking just plain hurts...go back AGAIN to the leg guy on Monday,will take someone with me (not that I need them), but am going to have to be serious. No reason for me to be walking with pain, this has been miserable at work and home. I am so happy for you...I hope I also can have some good news soon. Keep good thoughts. Again, I'm so happy for you...

Hey Roger,

That is a great good news story. I am glad you are back walking well.

Peace, Beth Marie

Thank you to all for your good wishes. I have been to the gym a couple of times and am walking a littlt bit. I went to see my physio yesterday and she says that I am swinging my hip round a little rather than pushing it through to compensate for the fact that it's a tiny bit too long. This the confirms the opinion of my missis and myself. I'll phone my leggist in the morning.....

Roger

Thank you to all for your good wishes. I have been to the gym a couple of times and am walking a littlt bit. I went to see my physio yesterday and she says that I am swinging my hip round a little rather than pushing it through to compensate for the fact that it's a tiny bit too long. This the confirms the opinion of my missis and myself. I'll phone my leggist in the morning.....

Roger

Hi Roger, a little late here, but would also like to wish you well and you sound like you've pretty much got things under control and that's great. Sometimes we must step forward and do just what you did, take the situation back to them, when it doesn't seem to be fitting properly. After all, it is us who has to wear/walk with the leg, so IMHO, our imput should be just as important as the P-Guy. Of course he must know the mechanics of it all, but we must be a big help in letting them know how it feels, for they have no way of knowing that, unless we keep stepping up to the plate when things don't seem quite right, even if they should seem frustrated with us at times. Good news and a job well done! Good luck!! :biggrin:

Sheila :smile:

LBK-Maine, USA

The only way to know if you'll fail is by trying and the only way to win is by NEVER giving in!!!