Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Proud Daughter

Osseointegration questions and issues

Hello, :biggrin:

My name is Samantha and my father is an above the knee amputee on the left side. He was recently approached by the FDA to be the first canidate for osseointegration in the US. Because it is so new here we have no one to talk to. I am an emergency and trauma nurse in Delaware and I, of course like any good daughter and nurse, have questions. I also know my dad has questions and concerns. He has no computer so we joined this site together to speak with other people about the procedure and to let them follow his status. He is going to do this for himself but he also is very happy to be benefit to others.

Has anyone heard about it or has had it done? Who was the Doctor, if I am allowed to ask? And how was the procedure preformed?

Hi, Samantha

You've come to the right place! A member of this forum who lives in the UK, screen name "Insane", has been sharing his experience with osseointegration for the past two years in a thread titled "Osseointegration Part 1". I'm sure you'll find it easily if you do a search, or one of the more tech savvy (not me :unsure: ) members could post a link to it for you. It should be very helpful. You won't find many people in the U.S. who have done it since it has just now been approved by the FDA. I take it your father has exhausted all other socket options?

Karen

Orlando, Florida

Hello, :biggrin:

My name is Samantha and my father is an above the knee amputee on the left side. He was recently approached by the FDA to be the first canidate for osseointegration in the US. Because it is so new here we have no one to talk to. I am an emergency and trauma nurse in Delaware and I, of course like any good daughter and nurse, have questions. I also know my dad has questions and concerns. He has no computer so we joined this site together to speak with other people about the procedure and to let them follow his status. He is going to do this for himself but he also is very happy to be benefit to others.

Has anyone heard about it or has had it done? Who was the Doctor, if I am allowed to ask? And how was the procedure preformed?

Hi Samantha, Here is a link to the topic: click here Let me know if there is anything else you need to know after reading my posts about the Osseointegration and I will be pleased to answer any of your questions.

Dad has been thru so many different technologies and prosthetics since his amputation in 1971 that they approached him about trying it. They hope he can compare the prosthetics. They also are hoping to see if the osseo procedure will decrease is back pain issues due to torque of his current prosthetic. His stump is about four inches above the knee and I am worried that if they do the osseintegration and the titanium doesn't take, will they have to revise the amputation even higher because of damage to the bone or would he have to get a new prosthetic?

They scanned me to check whether my bone density was good enough before they went ahead with anything. My heart was monitored for 48 hours and blood samples were taken too. They also strongly recommended that I stopped smoking and ate a more balanced diet. There are risks involved and I am sure you will have been informed about them. There could be a problem with the bone not integrating properly but if he can't cope with a socket then this may be an option to gain back his mobility. The rehabilitation back to mobility is lengthy and he will need lots of determination, there is also considerable pain to go through but the rewards outweigh all of this.

I thank God for the opportunity to be able to use the Osseointegration system and although I still have some rehabilitation left I am far more mobile than I have been for many years.

I too have had back problems in the past but I seem to be fine at the moment. My physiotherapist gave me some exercises and I am sure they have more or less cured it.

As far as the prosthesis goes it will have to be a hydraulic knee and the preferred type is the Otto Bock C-Leg at the centre where I attend. I hope whatever decision you arrive at will be well informed and successful.

G'day Samantha welcome to the forum.......you sure came to the right place :biggrin:

Thanks for the welcoming information everyone and please keep it coming. We filled out the paperwork today and are meeting with the surgeon at the end of the month. I am really glad to hear that back pain issues could be relieved somewhat with the procedure.

For the work I do I have met many people who have had amputation or unfortunately have a need to be. I never had the opportunity to speak with anyone who has had been thru this before on a personal level. This site is truly wonderful. I try and tell people I meet about it if it is an appropriate time. My father is glad to know about people who are going thru this too, not just the procedure but life as an amputee.

I'll be back with more questions and hopefully good news.