Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
BethMarie

ACA's 2009 19th Annual Educational Conference

Do you plan on attending this years conference?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan on attending this years conference?

• Yes
    • No

Hi All,

For those of us in north country getting In Motion is slow, but I am SO grateful to get it. Mine just arrived today--yeah. I am off to Atlanta for a conference--I know I won't have any where near the amount of fun I had last May--and the plane ride will give me lots of time. Every heard of going to Atlanta by way of Denver from Saskatoon??? I know many of you don't know where in the world Saskatoon is--but really it is God's country (Canada). Some airlines are strange one has to fly west to go east. Just going to Atlanta makes me excited about the ACA conference in May or June--can't wait.

Peace, Beth Marie

Roll call :) Who's going to Atlanta this year in June for the ACA Conference?

Simce it's in my backyard again, I plan on being there. May not ever get another chance again.

I wish someone would come in a bus and we had the time for me to take everyone on a tour of our piece of "God's country".

I'm thinking about it... depends on my finances, this year. Sure would be great, though!

Too many thousands of miles away for me :biggrin:
What a shame Ian. We would really enjoy having you join us sometime!

I think we need the banjo for our nightly entertainment. I've been assured that we will have a meeting place where we won't be run off.

Room's booked, ACA paid............only need to set my flight. Will be arriving on Wed pm and will be staying for the duration this time.

ED

I think we need the banjo for our nightly entertainment. I've been assured that we will have a meeting place where we won't be run off.

Neal,

You all were run off last year from your meeting room????? :rolleyes: Now that's funny; {too loud, too drunk} and having a blast!!

I can't make it this year...I look forward to next year when the conference moves west. Last year was great though. It was a very worthwhile trip and a memorable experience.

Have fun!

Annie

I can't make it this year...I look forward to next year when the conference moves west. Last year was great though. It was a very worthwhile trip and a memorable experience.

Have fun!

Annie

Sorry to hear that you can't join us again this year. We look forward to seeing you again next year.

Well, the flight's also booked ........so now I am committed...............

To Beth Marie : If you see a BAK on blue legs with Canadian flags on the ankles..................stop me and say hi.

ED

Hello All!

Long time, no chat! I hope everyone's doing well.

I have booked my room for the conference and am waiting to purchase airline tickets until I know I can get the time off from work. In addition, I need to have more information on the conference topics. Last year's conference didn't pertain to me so I decided it wasn't worth the expense.

I emailed them to find out a tentative schedule for this year and this is her reply:

Amy,

Good morning and thank you for inquiring into the 2009 Annual ACA Conference. At this time what information I give to you is very tentative, but wanted you to have an idea as to what sessions and events would be offered.

Thursday, June 18

Support Group Leaders Workshop

Gait Lab

First Ride (Equestrian Event)

Opening Ceremony

Exhibit Hall opens

Friday, June 19

Upper Extremity Track

Children’s Family Track

Exhibit Hall open

Bilateral Session

First Swim

Gait Lab

Theatre Showcases

Saturday, June 20

Upper Extremity Track

Children’s Family Track

Mobility Clinic

First Swim

Dancing for your Health

Federal Employment

Traveling w/Limb Loss

Advocacy Session

Dinner/Dance

Sunday, June 21

Run/Walk

Adaptive Sport

Caregiver’s Issues

Women’s Issues

Men’s Issues

LGBT Issue’s

Open Swim

I hope I have helped you decide if we will offer you anything that will be of interest to you, and if it will benefit you to attend. If you have any questions please fill free to contact me. Thank you and have a great day.

So, as it stands now, unless I receive an enormous tax refund, I will probably not go again this year. This would be a serious "Bummer" as I had such a fabulous time when we all got together in Minneapolis.

Well, take care everyone!

Amy

Hey Amy......

One of the things that is missing is the seminars given by the prosthetic companies..

No where in any of that did I see any mention of it.. Probably because it is too soon for them to set the schedule other than the work in progress..... and they always have them.

The exhibit hall will be there as well... and they seem to have more prosthetic stuff displayed nowadays. More symes stuff that I used to see.

It would be great to see you again..... I sure hope it works out for you..... BTW.. Hubby said to say hello and he hopes to see you there!!!!!!!!

For Amy and all others, here's a little incentive to attend the conference this year.

Who wouldn't want to meet, talk with, dine with, dance with, or maybe drink with these two wild and crazy guys?

ACA2008023.jpg

Thank you Kerry. I resemble that guy on the right. Thanks to a little Jack Daniels, some of Barb's home brew and good company, we had a great time.

I'm looking forward to doing it again.

Hey Amy......

One of the things that is missing is the seminars given by the prosthetic companies..

No where in any of that did I see any mention of it.. Probably because it is too soon for them to set the schedule other than the work in progress..... and they always have them.

The exhibit hall will be there as well... and they seem to have more prosthetic stuff displayed nowadays. More symes stuff that I used to see.

It would be great to see you again..... I sure hope it works out for you..... BTW.. Hubby said to say hello and he hopes to see you there!!!!!!!!

Great sells pitch!! I'm sold! :biggrin: Especially if there are more symes products. And that photo, after seeing that I was beyond sold. Also, I did my taxes and am receiving an enormous refund so I will put in the request for the time off. I'm very high on the seniority totem pole so I'd be shocked if I didn't get the OK.

Cool Beans!! I'm pumped! :biggrin:

Please tell your Hubby I say 'Hello' back.

Hey Amy......

Great sells pitch!! I'm sold! :biggrin: Especially if there are more symes products. And that photo, after seeing that I was beyond sold. Also, I did my taxes and am receiving an enormous refund so I will put in the request for the time off. I'm very high on the seniority totem pole so I'd be shocked if I didn't get the OK.

Cool Beans!! I'm pumped! :biggrin:

Please tell your Hubby I say 'Hello' back.

Thank you for deciding to join us Amy. :rolleyes: We all are looking forward to seeing you again and are happy to have you back on the forum! :wub:

Johnny and Jerry already know- but I'll be there in June!!

Even tho Johny doesn't remember me when I was there last year.. :wacko:

It's a 40 min drive to the hotel.. Had a blast last year and wouldn't miss it..

Glad to hear that your coming again...... I look forward to meeting you....Make Johnny or Jerry introduce you.........

I have been only to a few conferences and for me they are work related because I am usually supporting a charity and cycle to the event and usually have to be on hand as an exhibitor. So it is a little hard to really meet ang greet, but they are the best times ever. I went to my first in 2003 and it blew me away. Really if you never have been then go. It is wonderful experiance. Someone once said it is like the 60's if you remember it you wern't there. My fondest memory was in 2003 forty of us went to dinner we limped, we wheel we walked down to a seafood bar. We stopped LA traffic no easy feat. We were a sight to see. 40 slightly tipsy amutees desended on a seafood place and took it over. when they ran out of crab crackers one of us took off his leg and used to the break the shells needless to say we were a sight to behold because we were alive and living life fully again. It was at that very table I dicided to start my career as a endurance cyclist. ( took forever to get the smell of crab off my leg, he he).Most of all it was a celibration of being alive.

So if you can come to Atlanta. it is a time where you can feel that you are just like everyone else and if someone stares it is because they think you are amazing.

The hotel is great and the staff very friendly and helpful. In 2007 fI lew out the last day of the conference to do a guest apperance on Larry King and they held my bike, trailer and gear for me for 2 days at no charge and even gave me a free nights stay when I returned. So it is first rate

Dan