Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
darren

suction fit

what spray do u use for suction fit leg

Hi Darren,

I've been an amputee (LBK) for about a year, my 'anniversary' is February 8, and I have just got a suction limb. The liner is Ossur but the spray my prosthetist gave me is MediPro care spray. It seems to work pretty well. Only problem I've had so far (I got the leg last Friday) is that I am already finding it a little loose after an extended wear (in general I wear it continuously from 6am - 9pm) and so it can sometimes feel a little 'unstable' at times. Basically the longer I wear the liner the smaller my leg becomes and so if I wear it from 6am, walk around go up and down the stairs etc, then by 11am or so I find that the suction isn't so great and I have to take it off and put it on again. I am having it lined to make the fit tighter next week I hope. How do you find your suction leg? Before this I had the pin type liner and this felt more secure but was heavier. Not sure which was better really!

Anyway, hope the spray I use works for you.

Best wishes.

ive never heard of a spray or silicone loctione before, what does it do?

You are joking, aren't you? :huh: We're always talking about the stuff on here ...

Darren, I don't wear a suction leg, but, really, is this 'spray' a good idea? :unsure: What has your prosthetist recommended?

I have used a suction socket for the last 9 or 10 years (I think...jeez, losing count).

I have never used any kind of spray. Neither with a straight suction (where you pull you leg straight into a socket), or with a liner which you don first, and then put your socket on.

I have heard that some people use a cream (any kind, non-perfumed) to slip into a straight suction socket. Yuk. I don't like the feeling. And it leaves me wondering how the heck you STAY inside a socket that's been lubed like that.... :tongue:

So exactly what kind of socket are you talking about? Are you using a liner? What kind?

Mmmmmmmmmm.........I have been an amp for 14 or 15 years (I think.....it's that 'count' thing again)...and I have never been told about a spray.....

:unsure:

Oh, and Liz, before you bonk me on the head....yes, I know the silicone stuff.... :tongue::tongue::tongue:

ive never heard of a spray or silicone loctione before, what does it do?

It lubricates the interface between the socket and the skin to prevent it sticking and pulling the skin/tissues, which would result in discomfort/pain.

I am an AK and since 1980 I used powder to help with friction when I donned my prosthesis using an ACE bandage. Since I have been using the nylon pull sock I do not use powder. I could not imagine using lotion with my suction socket.

I am an AK and since 1980 I used powder to help with friction when I donned my prosthesis using an ACE bandage. Since I have been using the nylon pull sock I do not use powder. I could not imagine using lotion with my suction socket.

:biggrin: I would have said the same once upon a time, but it actually dries within a few minutes, so it only lubricates when you actually don the limb, it really works well. I started using it when I learnt that talc was actually an abrasive, as well as thinking it was pretty messy, and didn't do the limb any good. We're all different :smile:

I think he may be referring to the spray you use to help slide the leg over the liner. I use a 50/50 mixture of water and rubbing alcohol. This is essentially what the Ossur spray is.

Between the liner and the skin on my BK side, I use Convatec Sensicare 2. This is the same stuff that Otto Bock sends out with every new TEK liner.

http://www.nextag.com/CONVATEC-Sensi-care-...141/prices-html

I have found it as low as $4 a tube shopping around on the net.

That cream is good for your skin and it helps the flowing properties of a TEC liner however it is no use for silicone liners, which need a spray that will evaporate (such as the alcohol sprays like Ossur sell) or else you will have a sliding surface and cause high levels of friction.

If we are talking about using something to put ON the liner to help the liner slide INTO the socket....

I use plain old Surgical Spirits (dirt cheap) in a spray bottle - I spray it on the rubber sealing ring and it definitely helps get into the socket easier. And like Ali says, it evaporates quickly.

If we are talking about using something to put ON the liner to help the liner slide INTO the socket....

I use plain old Surgical Spirits (dirt cheap) in a spray bottle - I spray it on the rubber sealing ring and it definitely helps get into the socket easier. And like Ali says, it evaporates quickly.

thnx 4 that i shall try it

I have recently in December changed to Otto Block Tec and I use 50/50 cream (only small amount) straight onto my stump then pull on the liner and socks and then pull up sleeve. The cream is to lubercate the skin and I have to say that my skin was not in a very good condition when I started but since using the cream it is. You can get this on prescription in 500ml tubs which would last more than six months. The only time I find it feels uncomfortable is if my stump is sweating then yes it does feel abit slimey. Hope this is helpful. Jules.

You should really use isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol instead of denatured (surgical spirits) alcohol, for two reasons: 1) if a child or someone accidentally drinks surgical spirits, it can cause blindness, and 2) denatured alcohol may degrade the rubber on the liner seals over time.

You should really use isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol instead of denatured (surgical spirits) alcohol, for two reasons: 1) if a child or someone accidentally drinks surgical spirits, it can cause blindness, and 2) denatured alcohol may degrade the rubber on the liner seals over time.

There are no kids around and if they were, I would put the Surgical Spirits with the toilet cleaner.

My prosthetist uses Surgical Spirits. No point spending thrice the money just because it's got a label from a prosthetics manufacturer.

The liner dies a natural death over time (a short time as far as I am concened :glare: ) ......the Surgical Spirits doesn't help it on its way.

In fact, you can also just spray plain old water on this rubber sealing ring I have....also works.

Just my opinion..... :smile:

Oh....I use an Iceross liner....probably should have mentioned that....

suction sockets on each of my three legs, no liners, no sprays just good fits. thank you prosthetists

(Do I really want to ask this? :unsure: )

...suction sockets on each of my three legs...

Sorry? :blink:

Lizzie2, :ohmy:

And I thought I was ornery; :rolleyes::blink::rolleyes::blink:

(Do I really want to ask this? :unsure: )

...suction sockets on each of my three legs...

Sorry? :blink:

Lizzie2, :ohmy:

And I thought I was ornery; :rolleyes::blink::rolleyes::blink:

FYI, Ann, I didn't want to ask as I thought someone would make a rude comment :rolleyes: ... and you did! :biggrin:

I thought he was being Jake-the-peg or something :wink:, seeing as (I think?) he's a single amp. :smile: