Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Neal

ACA Lobby Day

This is only for USA amputees who want better insurance coverage for their prosthetics. We need help from those who have good coverage also. You never know when your coverage could change.

The ACA is sponsoring a Lobby Day for some of us to personally meet with our respective state delegates to the House and Senate. It will be held on March 10 from 9:30AM to 5:00PM in Washington DC. If you can attend you should contact Morgan Sheets msheets@amputee-coalition.org at the ACA office in Washington DC. She needs to know how many people will be there and to make sure that appointments are made to meet with the legislators.

If you cannot attend, now would be a great time to write a short note to your state's legislators to make them aware of the pitiful coverage some of us have concerning our prosthetics. You could even send an email to them instead. The staff read all emails. You can bet that if will get noticed. You can find a list of your legislators by visiting one of the following sites:

http://www.house.gov/

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_info...enators_cfm.cfm

I know that our Reps and Senators are busy dealing with economic issues, but we need to make them aware that we need some attention also.

Get involved!!!! I will be attending as are a few of our other members. Help us help you.

Thank you for the info Neal. I can't be there in person as I already have a trip the week before March 10th and another trip the week after March 10th. I will send email though. Not sure what to say. Is there a form letter somewhere I can personalize? I'm not good with pleading someone's case.

I get 80% coverage through my work's insurance but because I haven't attempted buying anything new since ~ 1995, have no idea what the rules are regarding number of devices and such. I have an appointment set up with the amputee clinic (something I'd never even heard of the last time I had a leg made) at the end of March to begin discussion on what my needs are and what insurance will cover so that will be too late.

But I will do what I can do.

Take care,

Amy

Seriously, if any of you actually come to DC for this, we'll have to hook up. I'm an hour away.

I'm headed there as well as BMT Barb, Neal, Paula,(hopefully) and a few others of us....are you coming.

Amy,

I think if you look on the ACA website under this link, (the advocacy link) and go to the bottom of the page, you will find the template that you need.

http://www.amputee-coalition.org/absoluten...?a=314&z=20

Good luck on your trips and travel safe... :smile:

Hello Higgy,

Thank you so very much for the link! Thanks also for the well travel wishes. You have a safe, fun and productive trip to DC.

Take care,

Amy

Hey Stagger Lee?

I go through Charlestown every day when I go to work. I live 10 miles west of Inwood near a little town of Shanghai.

Jerry

Well damn, guy. You are right here, aren't you? Wanna grab a bite or a drtink one of these evenings? Name the time, since I'm not back to work, I'm pretty much always free.

I'm headed there as well as BMT Barb, Neal, Paula,(hopefully) and a few others of us....are you coming.

I will if'n I can hook up with y'all.

Work on Amy and convince her to come too.

Work on Amy and convince her to come too.

Sorry Stag! I'll have to wait to meet up with everyone 'til June. :biggrin:

Tammie - on the ACA page where you can email friends, what are you emailing them? Do you have to write your own message or what?

Marcia, if you want any more info, call me on Sunday, I should be home all day. I just got home this afternoon from my cousins, and I don't haven any plans to go anywhere tomorrow.....

I took the original of the letter that Morgan had written , and done some cut and paste and it turned out ok for me.I sent it to some friends, and I have printed out the template, after changing it slightly and mailed it to prosthetists, friends, some businesses, Jon's union hall, (which was quite successful) and to a hosptial or two.. I've been doing ok.

I'd be glad to email you (or anyone else) a copy of it..

Stagger.....

As I said earlier, a bunch of us are going to be there... why don't you join us for/on lobby day and represent your state? You'd be more than welcome.....

Stagger.....

As I said earlier, a bunch of us are going to be there... why don't you join us for/on lobby day and represent your state? You'd be more than welcome.....

I'm game, even though I get my feet on the "G" (Government) plan since it was a line of duty thing. Where are we hooking up, and does anyone need help with accommodations, transportation, directions, parking, etc? DC can be hard for many mere mortals to navigate but I got it handled.

Stagger, you need to go to the ACA website and look under the advocacy tab for information on what is going on.. Also, you need to call them and "register" for the day.. What they will do is set up appointments for you to see your senators and representatives of your state...On Tuesday, March 10th,7:30, we are going to meet for breakfast at Sonneschein and Sons( I think that was the name) on K street. It's sort of a breakfast meeting...they'll tell us what's going on and how to do it, etc.

PM me your email address and phone number if you would, and I'll email you more details....

I have DC questions as well, as a first timer.....

Stagger, you need to go to the ACA website and look under the advocacy tab for information on what is going on.. Also, you need to call them and "register" for the day.. What they will do is set up appointments for you to see your senators and representatives of your state...On Tuesday, March 10th,7:30, we are going to meet for breakfast at Sonneschein and Sons( I think that was the name) on K street. It's sort of a breakfast meeting...they'll tell us what's going on and how to do it, etc.

PM me your email address and phone number if you would, and I'll email you more details....

I have DC questions as well, as a first timer.....

Tammie - I sure wish I could go with you...I have sent emails before to Washington, I will now go in and fill out the template, thank you so much for including it. I have good insurance, but none of us ever know what could happen. We have to do whatever we can to make them pay attention. Hard to understand that they treat prosthetics like durable medical equipment like wheelchairs that is if they do in fact cover them...ridiculous. You guys go get 'em.......I'll bet Stagger can show you all the good places to go too :tongue:

I'm glad to get this kind of response. Let's hope that the the people not responding have done something also. We've had 115 hits on this topic.

I am excited to get to be a part of this. I hope we can do some good in DC so that our states will be more inclined to change how things are done at the state level. I got nowhere when I tried that. Morgan and the gang in DC are a great help.

I hope you get to come to DC Stagger. A few of us are going to go to Ward 57 at Walter Reed on Wed and do some sightseeing on Thur. Ryan and I are staying til Friday. If you're interested, let me know. We have to know how many will be at WR as they don't open the ward to the general public.

I don't know where we're staying yet. I've left that to Ryan. Neither of us have been to DC before. You and Ryan have a little in common besides being amps. Ryan was a police officer after losing his leg.

I'm sorry I didn't post the ACA website hotlink. There is a tab titled ADVOCACY which holds the info you need. Here it is:

http://www.amputee-coalition.org/

Keep up the good work.

Neal

OK, I'll definitely be on hand or nearby to assist any of you who are visiting that District for the first time. And if I can help with the sightseeing or anything else, just me know. You folks are coming to my town so I got ya covered on anything that you might need. An advantage of being a cop is that I'm one heck of a tour guide and I know where the good food's at.

How is everyone coming in? Anyone driving, you will be in for some unpleasantness when you try to navigate and/or park. It's just DC. It's like that.

I would be great if you could join us..... but, I know how busy you are......

Truthfully, nothing should be more important than this. If I wasn't in the middle of getting these new vacuum legs figured out and getting the daughter moved probably in March, I would be there. Give 'em hell and make them listen...thank you to all who will be there representing. Please, please let me know if there is anything more I can do from here. I can write alot of emails and make alot of calls when needed :)

Ryan and I are staying til Friday.

I don't know where we're staying yet. I've left that to Ryan. Neither of us have been to DC before. You and Ryan have a little in common besides being amps. Ryan was a police officer after losing his leg

Hey Neal,

Wow, you and Ryan must be thick to be able to talk him into going.

Just imagine....... Ryan Seacrest taking up our Parity cause !!!!!!!!!!! And I've never heard that he was once a police officer.

Ryan and I are staying til Friday.

I don't know where we're staying yet. I've left that to Ryan. Neither of us have been to DC before. You and Ryan have a little in common besides being amps. Ryan was a police officer after losing his leg

Hey Neal,

Wow, you and Ryan must be thick to be able to talk him into going.

Just imagine....... Ryan Seacrest taking up our Parity cause !!!!!!!!!!! And I've never heard that he was once a police officer.

What are you drinking Kerry? Did I ever say Seacrest? :biggrin:

I think he must have found some Captain Morgan! :laugh:

In my own defense, Neal. You didn't ever not say Seacrest. The only other Ryan that I could think of was the one that was married to Farrah Fawcett and I can't think of his last name.

And as for the Captain Whatever Its called; I only tasted it once last June and that one taste finally wore off about Christmas. :blink:

And as for the Captain Whatever Its called; I only tasted it once last June and that one taste finally wore off about Christmas. :blink:

I'd been forwarned that it had some long lasting after effects..... 6 months, that's about right from what I heard.....

They didn't warn you?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I think he must have found some Captain Morgan! :laugh:

In my own defense, Neal. You didn't ever not say Seacrest. The only other Ryan that I could think of was the one that was married to Farrah Fawcett and I can't think of his last name.

Ryan Leishman of Utah is the Ryan I'm referring to. He is the regional rep from that area. Ryan O'Neal is Farrah's mate.

Captain Morgan does have lingering effects. Just wait til this year. :tongue: