Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
stevie61

First Leg... a Step Forward

Hi Guys,

Had an exciting day yesterday: got my first leg. It is (I think) a endolite ESK with a manual lock. I arrived at the limb fitting centre, they sat me in the gym and then brought the limb in - a bit surreal seeing my "other shoe" - first impressions was it seemed huge. I sank into the socket and it felt ok (I was expecting worse). Over the next hour I wallked up and down the bars first with my knee locked then with my knee unlocked and the limb was taken away adjustments were made........ they said I did well :-)

My questions for you:-

1. The socket is (to me) partly because my stump is still swollen (although it is shrinking): Is is really ever comfotable to sit for extended periods (e.g. meetings, theatre or long flights) ?

2. Trousers are going to be an issue in the short term, jeans are out any thoughts? especially for smart stuff for work (I would normally wear a suit).......

All in all a good day and I start my physio on Monday.......

Regards

Steve :biggrin:

PS They were very keen to fit a covering and not leave the limb uncovered.

Hi Guys,

Had an exciting day yesterday: got my first leg. It is (I think) a endolite ESK with a manual lock. I arrived at the limb fitting centre, they sat me in the gym and then brought the limb in - a bit surreal seeing my "other shoe" - first impressions was it seemed huge. I sank into the socket and it felt ok (I was expecting worse). Over the next hour I wallked up and down the bars first with my knee locked then with my knee unlocked and the limb was taken away adjustments were made........ they said I did well :-)

My questions for you:-

1. The socket is (to me) partly because my stump is still swollen (although it is shrinking): Is is really ever comfotable to sit for extended periods (e.g. meetings, theatre or long flights) ?

2. Trousers are going to be an issue in the short term, jeans are out any thoughts? especially for smart stuff for work (I would normally wear a suit).......

All in all a good day and I start my physio on Monday.......

Regards

PS They were very keen to fit a covering and not leave the limb uncovered.

Hi, sounds like things are progressing well... I wear a similar leg, without the manual knee lock... I wear what I want. Long trouser, shorts, jeans (though if the cut is too tight I feel a bit uncomfortable, but that's personal I guess, others might find it OK.

As for sitting for long periods, I don't have any issues with it. I sit at a computer most of the day and I'm fine with it. Flights have never caused any issues, neither have theatres or anywhere else.

I don't have all the foam covers, but that's just preference, I have a knee ball which is a ball shaped piece of closed cell foam that surrounds the knee to make trousers hang better, but that's all.

Good luck with your progress.

Steve - Whoooooooohoooooooooooooooo - first leg is just wicked! How awesome, I remember, looking down and seeing TWO FEET!!!!!

And it sounds like you're doing well. Yes, you will still shrink a bit, and the tightness is very normal and will settle and get better.

BEFORE you let them cover the leg, wear it for about a month and see if you are perfectly happy. Sometimes making changes is a bit of a mission when the aesthetic cover has already been fitted. I choose not to have a cover - like OBL ...it's all personal choice. And because this is all so very new, you must give yourself ample time to decide whether or not you actually want a cover.

As far as sitting goes....do you know what type of socket you have? There are different kinds. Sitting can be a problem, but you will find a way around that. Some amps prefer to take off their legs when travelling long distance (although then you could run into trouble putting it back on because you may swell a little bit). Also (like OBL) I spend hours sitting at my PC, and my socket is ok - butt & socket = friends now :rolleyes:

Why are trousers "an issue" for the time being? Do you think you may damage them on the butt-side when you sit? (Possible...)

But anyway, WELL DONE - this is a great new time for you!!!!

Ally <---happy dancing for you and your new leg :biggrin:

Hi Steve,

Congratulations on how well you did with your first leg and walking--it will only get easier as long as the fit is right. I have heard so often from this list that a prosthesis should not hurt, so get them to make it that way.

I travel quite a bit for work and I usually take off my leg on longer journeys and rest my stump on the prosthesis, but I am a BK. I have never had difficulty getting back on. I fly to Viet Nam each summer--18-22hrs and I still take it off, but put it on regularly and get up and walk around. I too am not sure why trousers are a problem for you. If they are very tight you can have an "invisible" zipper put on the inside seam of the leg and that makes it easier to get them on. Also, you leg is pretty sure to be smaller as you go as the swelling goes down. I know with my first leg I could only get on sweats, but now I can wear any style of pants.

Peace, Beth Marie

Congratulations! :biggrin: Doesn't it feel strange when you first get up on two feet? :smile:

I don't think it matters whether you have a cosmesis or not? My AK needs a cosmesis to slow the knee swing through. I prefer to have a cosmesis as I prefer people not to know ... not because I'm ashamed (I'm actually very proud :cool: ), but because I prefer to talk about other things.

It will take a while to get used to an AK socket. As for sitting, you just adjust to it. It is a pain when some socket types wear through clothing very quickly, but there are usually ways around it.

Beth Marie has given you some great advice on trousers/pants. :smile: But, come on Steve, tell us why you've got a 'pants problem'. :wink:

Lizzie :smile:

hi Steve..

Congratulations, there's nothing like the smell of a shoe to go with a new leg

look into getting a rotation joint. I find it very useful when putting pants and shoes on..it gives the ability to turn the leg completely while sitting down , so you can have the prosthetic "leg over leg"

Congratulations! :biggrin: Doesn't it feel strange when you first get up on two feet? :smile:

I don't think it matters whether you have a cosmesis or not? My AK needs a cosmesis to slow the knee swing through. I prefer to have a cosmesis as I prefer people not to know ... not because I'm ashamed (I'm actually very proud :cool: ), but because I prefer to talk about other things.

It will take a while to get used to an AK socket. As for sitting, you just adjust to it. It is a pain when some socket types wear through clothing very quickly, but there are usually ways around it.

Beth Marie has given you some great advice on trousers/pants. :smile: But, come on Steve, tell us why you've got a 'pants problem'. :wink:

Lizzie :smile:

Ok Guys,

My pants are fine ! - My trouser problem is that the socket is huge - because my stump is large.... so my jeans kinda fit in a very lumpy way.....just tried my work trousers and they are ok....

Also my knees do not seem to be aligned and it appears that the lengtth from my hip to artificial knee is about 2" longer when sitting (due partially to me sliding out of the socket) ... this is just something I have noted ....

Still learning I guess!

My trouser problem is that the socket is huge - because my stump is large.... so my jeans kinda fit in a very lumpy way.....just tried my work trousers and they are ok....

Also my knees do not seem to be aligned and it appears that the lengtth from my hip to artificial knee is about 2" longer when sitting (due partially to me sliding out of the socket) ... this is just something I have noted ....

Thanks for the details, Steve. :smile:

Beth Marie gave you some very good suggestions about how to cope with large legs. It's only a short term thing, as once you've shrunk down and get fitted for a new leg you'll find it a lot thinner. My legs are both very slim. :cool:

Watch your knee alignment. If it's when you sit down and it's because you're sliding out of the socket, that's fine. But, if it's still there when you're standing and when you aren't slipping out of the socket you need your prosthetist to change that! Ideally, your knees should match and you should only have a knee centre issue if you've had a 'through knee'. The time to talk to your prosthetist is when you notice it, but particularly when you are being fitted for your next leg.

Hope that helps? :smile:

Steve,

What is your initial socket like? Is it plaster of paris, plastic, or some man made material? Whatever type you have as your stump shrinks get them to line it or you can wear stump socks so the fit remains snug. Best of luck.

Freddy